• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Northfield Post Office 1938

emmagenevieve

I've been doing some research using the Postal Museum's online archive and came across these great photos of Northfield Post Office from 1938. Does anyone know the address of this original post office, or what the building is used for now? From what I can gather the building is from 1937. I've done some searching online but can't find any leads. Thank you!
Post118_924.jpg
POST 118/924 https://catalogue.postalmuseum.org/collections/getrecord/GB813_P_118_1_A02307

Post118_926.jpg
POST 118/926 https://catalogue.postalmuseum.org/collections/getrecord/GB813_P_118_1_A02310

Birmingham Gazette March 1938, New Northfield Post Office.

View attachment 189937
Thank you so much for this, it's so helpful! Having confirmed that it was on Bristol Road I looked again at Google Maps and I think that this building is still occupied by the Post Office - the actual post office now appears to be a modern extension on the front, but the back building seems to be some kind of sorting office. It's hard to see online - does anyone know if this is the case?

Great photos. It is the same place, as you say the "new" front portion is the front-of-office Post office, the rear brick building is now purely a delivery office where post vans pick up letters and parcels for delivery. My friendly postman tells me that only the most rudimentary "sorting" goes on there. Looking at Google Earth Pro the satellite view from 1999 shows the "new" portion to be in place then. I think it might date to the 1970s. I have a very vague recollection of the green lawn in front of the post office being still there when I was a kid in the 1960s.

This is so helpful, thank you so much Dinger. Really great to have it confirmed, and thanks too to your friendly postman! Fantastic that you have memories of the green lawn still being there - I have to say it looks much nicer with a lawn than the 'new' post office on the front. I'll have to go for a nose next time I'm in the area! Thanks again.

Back