• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Norman Nellie B Bradford 1908

senoraruz

master brummie
Nellie & her sister Phyllis moved to Birmingham with their father & stepmother in about 1927.
Around 1930 there was a family row & Nellie & Phyllis left the family home.
I believe Nellie married George Shepherd in 1940 & had 2 daughters. Nellie died in 1960 at which time the family were living in Yardley.
One of Phyllis's daughters remembers visiting from Bradford with her mother in the late 1950s, but apart from that, we have no knowledge of Nellie, particularly of her life before she married.
Several of us cousins are trying to build a family tree & it would be lovely if we could contact Nellie's daughters. Due to the family rift, we have only known of each others existence for about 10 years & are now all in our 70s. I would assume Nellies daughters would be in the same age group.
Any information would be much appreciated.

Do you know whether Nellie was an abbreviation or nickname? There do not seem to be any residents of birmjingham on the electoral roll (limited years online) before 1930 named as Nellie. It seems , from google , that it could be short for a large number of other christian names. hopefully it should show up on the rolls 1930 till her marriage if she was in the Birmingham administered area

In that case possibly she lived in the area around Birmingham, but not in actual Birmingham

Do you know whether Nellie was an abbreviation or nickname? There do not seem to be any residents of birmjingham on the electoral roll (limited years online) before 1930 named as Nellie. It seems , from google , that it could be short for a large number of other christian names. hopefully it should show up on the rolls 1930 till her marriage if she was in the Birmingham administered area
I have been told that she was actually called Helena Mary although I have never seen that verified. She was always known as Nellie.
I have also been unable to trace her between 1930 & her marriage to George Shepherd. I understand that prior to her marriage, she worked for the Cadbury family, but whether in a domestic role, or in the factory, I have no idea.
I am really hoping to be able to contact one, or both of her daughters.

It looks as if Nellie was registered as Nellie, Dec qtr 1908 in Bradford.

There are 2 Shepherd/Norman daughters registered - Sheila M, Mar qtr 1942 in Bham & Paula, Jun qtr 1952 in Meriden.

Unfortunately there are a number of possible marriages for both and no way of knowing if any of them are correct.

There is also a Shepherd/Norman son registered - John F, Sep qtr 1946 in Bham.

Thanks for that info. I knew the names of the daughters, but hadn't posted them as they are probably still alive ,so as not to cause any embarrassment. I wasn't aware of the son.

After Nellies mother died in 1920 her father William married Eliza Firth in 1922 and they are shown on 1930 electoral roll, William, Eliza and Nellie at 120 Albert road , Stechford.
In 1950 William and Eliza at 80 stechford Lane which is the address where William died in 1954 leaving Eliza £616.

Just a thought - if Phyllis went back to Bradford (#1) did they both go back in 1930 when they left home? If so you would need Yorkshire records.

No Nellie did not go back to Bradford with her sister. I am in close touch with Phyllis's daughter who has all the info about her mother's return to Bradford.
Will & Eliza Norman were my grandparents, so I have all the info I need about them, but thanks for your interest.
I am really only concerned with Nellie at the moment as she is the only one of 8 sisters that we know very little about.

As she vanishes from the Birmingham e rolls which are online it seems likely she moved out of the area. That might only have meant a few miles like Shirley or similar. Those records are not online. Does her marriage certificate give an indication of occupation for her?

As she vanishes from the Birmingham e rolls which are online it seems likely she moved out of the area. That might only have meant a few miles like Shirley or similar. Those records are not online. Does her marriage certificate give an indication of occupation for her?
The family story is that she was employed by the Cadbury family, but whether in the factory or as a domestic I have no idea. If she was part of the domestic staff, would she have appeared on the ER at their address.

Only if she lived in, as far as I know. Although sometimes they got entered twice on the census if people did not understand the rules.

Back