• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newtons Coach Company. Franchise Street.

This is a photo of my nan and my two cousins Jill and Anne with the coach company in the background. Jean.

Hi, We went on holidays most years with Newton's Coaches when I was a girl. I remember the long traffic jams as everyone had the same two weeks off work. I lived in Oscott Road in those days so it was a five minute walk with heavy cases to the coach station in Franchise Street. Thanks for the memories. Mags

Does anyone remember Minty’s cafe or Elsie’s little shop. I lived further down the street at 3/63, almost opposite the Wellhead Pub.
Yes my Nan used to work for Mr Minty Jonsyl. She lived in one of the houses at the back of the cafe. From what I can remember the shop was over the road from the cafe. I will see if I can sort a photo out of Nan's little garden and the back of the coach station. My Nan and Cousins Jill and Anne in the garden Franchise street.

Attachments

• c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 16
Jean, Here is a photo of the only Newton's coach to be kept and run when Bowen's took them over in 1964.
(It's a 1962 Bedford. Two other Newton's coaches went over to Bowen's subsidery company, Arnold's Coaches at Tamworth).
Mike
It was the other way round Arnold's were owned by L F Bowen,

Back