• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newman Bros Coffin Works Fleet Street

Re: Newman bros coffin fitting works..

yes viv we were told about the royal connections on the tour i went on a couple of years back...great isnt it....just read the link you posted and noticed that once again the wording in the report is not strictly true...newmans did not actually produce the coffins they only made the fittings and interiors...little bit misleading..although having said that when i was there they did have a coffin on display just to make it a bit more spooky lol..looking forward to visiting again i want to see the drop forge at work...

Last edited:

Was a bit surprised about that Lyn as I too thought it was only fittings produced there. I notice from bits I've read that they have shroud material etc there. Maybe they're adding other coffin related items to add more interest for visitors. Does anyone know exactly what they produced? Was it just metal coffin fittings? Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

viv i belive they also made the shrouds and of course the fancy linings for the coffins...my pics at the start of the thread show some of the fittings and fancy things made for the outside of the coffins and i think there is a pic of the ladies at work on their machines...

Calling all those who worked at Newman's or have/had relations who worked there - an invitation. ...... Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415886316.878581.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Today Lyn & myself visited Newman's coffin requisites factory, now reorganised , and approved by health & safety. We can both well recommend a visit, and would advise a guided tour , rather than just looking around, as that way you see the stamps etc in operation, and hear some interesting anecdotes from the volunteer showing you round.
At one time everything was made on the premises other than the wooden coffin itself, though in later years for varioyus reasons, including the introduction of plastic parts, some were bought in , at least in the raw unplated state. The picture below shows the inner courtyard

newmans_2A.jpg

One of the stamps being operated and then the press for cleaning off excess from round the sides

newmans_14A.jpg

newmans_8A.jpg

Some of the dies used to press out the metal in the required shape, and a selection of handles etc produced, including the ones in the wooden box at the front, which were identical to those specially made for Winston Churchill's coffin (though later by public demand manufactured for others prepared to pay the price

newmans_18A.jpg

newmans_20A.jpg

Carrying on in next post

A view of the workroom and then of the large selection of different bits and pieces of varying design that they manufactured, each box containing a different item

newmans_21A.jpg

newmans_25A.jpg

Then to the upper room where the shrouds were made

newmans_27A.jpg

newmans_29A.jpg

newmans_34A.jpg

and then concluded on the last post

Then machine for crimping (I think that is the word) the material in different patterns to go round the edges of the coffin. This machine is not shown working as the volunteers value the ends of their fingers.

newmans_33A.jpg

A coffin with all the bits and pieces on and lining fitted

newmans_31A.jpg

When the factory was closed it happened suddenly and some people even left their coats and handbags there. One women actually came back after the museum opened and pointed her handbag out, but said they could keep it as it had been there over 10 years. Other things remaining were bottles of pale ale and champagne to entertain customers and the list be the tea kettle of how the workers liked their tea

newmans_30A.jpg

thanks for posting some photos mike i really enjoyed the tour and it was great to see the drop forge in action...that room must have been so noisy to work in...definately worth going...

lyn

image.jpg
An example of a heritage site at its best working to involve the local community. Good to see. Viv.

The Coffin Works has been voted the readers' favourite in the Historic England Angel Awards. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 6
The Coffin Works has picked up another award, this time from the Institute of Conservation (ICON) 2015 awards. They were one of two Birmingham projects to receive an award tonight, the other being the BMAG Staffordshire Hoard team. Congratulation. Viv.

Last edited:
Saw this Birmingham Civic Society Renaissance Award dated 2014 on Fleet Street.

The museum as it is now.

Newmans

My Mother was in charge of the Shroud making at Newmans in the 50s
some of the shrouds in those days used to cost up to three thousand pounds and the work that went into some of them was hard to believe
used to come home very upset some days when they had to make a shroud for very little children and they made a lot of them but she loved working there for many years. anybody out there remember her
used to call her Vi.
Hello There, I work at the Coffin Works Museum and have just seen this post - we would love to hear more about your mum if you are still on this forum?
Could you reply to this or email me at [email protected]
Thank you so much!

hi kate historymaker made that post in 2007 and is now only a guest on the forum so wont be able to reply to you unless he/she rejoins

lyn

hi kate historymaker made that post in 2007 and is now only a guest on the forum so wont be able to reply to you unless he/she rejoins

lyn
Ah that's a shame, 2007 was a long time ago but it was worth a shot, we've found someone who may have been her mum in the wages ledger. Hopefully she will re-join and get in touch. Xx

Newmans

My Mother was in charge of the Shroud making at Newmans in the 50s
some of the shrouds in those days used to cost up to three thousand pounds and the work that went into some of them was hard to believe
used to come home very upset some days when they had to make a shroud for very little children and they made a lot of them but she loved working there for many years. anybody out there remember her
used to call her Vi.
It is said that there are no pockets in shrouds, but there seems to be money in them! ;)

Hello everyone,

We are always on the look about for people passionate about Birmingham history to come and volunteer at our museum the Coffin Works on Fleet Street. We have different posts available, tour guiding, room enabling and front of house! A great way to meet others with similar interests and welcome visitors to the history of our great city!

Have a look at our website for more details www.coffinworks.org

If this sounds like something that would interest you please get in touch, email me [email protected].

Thanks so much,
Kate Garner

Back