• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street City Centre Birmingham

The drawing makes New Street look relatively flat. Even Christ Church in the distance doesn't look very elevated. Maybe it's an illusion created by the generally lower buildings. Viv.o

It's slightly flat, maybe going up hill a little bit. This was January 2013. Near Tesco Metro and Temple Street / Lower Temple Street.

Close to Ethel Street.

Get your knickerbockers at Hyams!

B43F0B81-C5C7-4C4C-AF77-63BC5898D122.jpeg
This is Hyam and Co on New Street. The store was built in the 1830s and was probably demolished in the 1950s (?). Must have been an impressive store to visit, if you had money of course. I've seen this image a few times but have never been too sure whereabouts it was on New Street. Viv

Well 21, 22, and 23 New Street is coming up as shops below the not much loved Britannia Hotel. Close to Union Passage.

Carphone Warehouse now at 21 New Street.
Lush at 23 New Street.

It's not often you see a view of New Street showing the 19th century buildings at the junction with High Street. Many of the buildings to the right would disappear after bombing in WW2. This section subsequently became known as Big Top. Viv

image.jpeg

It's not often you see a view of New Street showing the 19th century buildings at the junction with High Street. Many of the buildings to the right would disappear after bombing in WW2. This section subsequently became known as Big Top. Viv

Viv

A few more early images of the junction of High Street & New Street pre Big Top days.

City New St - High St (4).JPG City New St - High St (5).JPG City New St - High St.JPG

C. Combridge Ltd - presume this image was of their New Street shop. If so it must have been located at the High Street end of New Street, pre-WW2 damage. Viv.

image.jpeg

I like this view of New Street as you can see still the Midland Arcade entrance - pre-WW2 bombing and before the Big Top. Looks around early 1900s. Viv.

image.jpeg

Cracking photo Viv. I like the colour of the stonework, quite reflective of our industrial past.

I may be one on my own, but I used to like the dark sooty colours of the old building. The grime was almost a layer of history in itself, and gave Birmingham its industrial identity.

In Dewsbury Yorkshire some locals weren’t very happy when they cleaned up some old building.

A view of New Street from opposite the Birmingham Mail newspaper offices in the direction of the Town Hall. Not sure of the date but the buses could be pre-war? Need a bus expert to help. The bus at the front is a number 5 to Perry Common. Dave.Scan_20171105 (2).jpg

The buses are those of the types which entered service in 1929 and 1930. Most survived into WW2, some were given new wartime bodies a few were not. The cars suggest the early 1930s to me.

The buses are those of the types which entered service in 1929 and 1930. Most survived into WW2, some were given new wartime bodies a few were not. The cars suggest the early 1930s to me.
Looking at the Midland Red bus on the right hand side looking towards Bull Street I would agree with your dating
Bob

You'll like this 1904 view then Lyn. It's a New Street buzzing with activity. And shows a street lined with detailed, varied and interesting buildings. The 'top end' of New Street near the B'ham Royal Academy seemed (to me) to go into decline in the late 1970s/80s. I think only Woolworth's kept it alive on the other side of the road.

Having walked along New Street to and from work every day and popping back again during lunch breaks the top of New Street was a stretch of road you rushed past to get to the more interesting shops. Viv.

image.jpeg

A watercolour by Paul Maddon looking along New Street towards Town Hall and Christ Church. Maddon seems to have painted views well before his time, so presumably this shows New Street before Corporation Street was cut.

The buildings to the immediate right would, I think, have been replaced after this view (by Victorian buildings/Arcade) and subsequently bombed in WW2.

Viv.

image.jpeg

You'll like this 1904 view then Lyn. It's a New Street buzzing with activity. And shows a street lined with detailed, varied and interesting buildings. The 'top end' of New Street near the B'ham Royal Academy seemed (to me) to go into decline in the late 1970s/80s. I think only Woolworth's kept it alive on the other side of the road.

Having walked along New Street to and from work every day and popping back again during lunch breaks the top of New Street was a stretch of road you rushed past to get to the more interesting shops. Viv.

yes viv i love that shot as well...makes the street come alive somehow...must say i cant recall seeing that one before

lyn

View attachment 120049

Great photos and good to see all your fans posing in the first set, by the way what's that white stuff on the ground in the second set?
Bob

Thanks. Not fans, just random strangers! Snow!

The Frankfurt Christmas Market is back now, so may want to avoid New Street as it gets quite busy during the day (it opens tomorrow).

This was 4 years ago from Waterstone's

Back