• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New Street City Centre Birmingham

Hi MOH
I came to birmingham last week by train and I was mighty impressed with the new station
And its surrounding and we walked around the city and up corporation street as well
I do not think myself that the central will not make a huge difference to new street
For most shops are open for trade as usual
But I do think it will hit hard on these restaurants and bars as it seems over whelmed with them
For catering units of every nationality
All placed around the arena far to much I think and for the odd few its the case of ratable property's
Being to high best wishes Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,

When New Street looked like THIS...

Interesting article from the B'ham Mail - but (as they say on QVC Channel) - that's not all!

At the bottom of the page are some really good links to other things historical.

Enjoy

S23

Thanks for posting Speedy. A nice compilation of New St views spanning 170+ years. Didn't no know Ali visited the Co-op! I've moved it to this thread, hope that's ok. Viv.

Can't remember where I found this but it's a painting looking along New Street towards the junction with High Street. It might be a very early Victorian view. King Edwards School's to the right. I like the building to the nearest right which must have been there before the Exchange was built. Viv.

image.jpeg

Can't remember where I found this but it's a painting looking along New Street towards the junction with High Street. It might be a very early Victorian view. King Edwards School's to the right. I like the building to the nearest right which must have been there before the Exchange was built. Viv.

View attachment 111390

The building on the nearest right....zooming in on the sign...could it be Grapes Tavern??

I don't think this 1846 line engraving by J. Harwood has been on before. Lovely scene. I think it's looking down towards St Martin's Church. So I think it's the corner of New Street (right). There seems to be very little of New St in the view and I'm surprised it's labelled New Street. Viv.
https://www.antique-prints-maps.com/acatalog/Birmingham_antique_prints.htl.
Long time since you posted this, but is the view of New Street towards the Town Hall with the spire of Christ Church.
Some lovely copies of old prints of Birmingham on the above web site some of which we have seen before

Yes it was. The Grapes Tavern, No 122 New st, was just across the entrance to Peck Lane from the school. It was certainly still there in 1858, but seems to have disappeared soon after, when Stephenson Place was constructed

Recollections of New Street, Birmingham in 1817 by Mrs Lucy Benton (1877)

I can't see that this book has been mentioned before, but no doubt someone will know. It is only a very short book but describes New Street in 1817. The Grapes Tavern is not mentioned, the inns that are...

Shakespeare Tavern
Wheat Sheaf
Hen and Chickens
Fountain Inn
(Swan Hotel? Queried as there also existed a Temperence hotel)

Looks early 1900s - a much busier New Street. More cars, more people - more money? What's on top of the columns top left ? Viv.

image.jpeg

This is a Tuck postcard and is probably a retrospective view of King Edwards school. KES is the focus of the postcard but what's the Georgian building to the left? Viv.

image.jpeg

Would have thought it was the Hen & chickens hotel, though the drawings we have of it di not show windows like that

Mike

I think it was the Arden Hotel which was later on the site of The Hen & Chickens.

Attachments

• City Arden Hotel c 1908 New St .jpg
    City Arden Hotel c 1908 New St .jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 31
That looks spot on Phil. The Tuck image makes it look like a Georgian building, but obviously it's much later. Thanks. Viv.

So would this be the Hen and Chickens to the left of KEGS ? Engraving from 1898.

image.jpeg

And the same (later) view but with the Arden to the left. Looks like a new entrance to KEGS was added next to the Arden. Viv.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I have just come across this thread. The first post which started this tread had a 1930s newspaper cutting saying thatNew Street dated from about 1380. I led walks around the city centre saying that New Street was so called because in 1300 it was new. I understand that the latest research gives a date of 1296 for novus vicus (the new village) so I was not too far out.

wasn't there a New St in Aston too? I'm thinking about the street running from the Globe cinema to Alma St.

Saw this drawing of the early New Street on eBay. A date isn't given but the artist seems to be "Ward". Not too sure, but a description extracted from an art dealers site below could well be the artist:

William H Ward was a Birmingham artist. He painted mainly fruit, still lifes and genre subjects.

He exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1850 to 1872 as well as at Suffolk Street, British Institution and various other venues. William Ward exhibited in Birmingham between 1877 and 1882. He was elected a member of the Birmingham Society of Artists in 1856 and was listed in the local directory between 1858 and 1868. His address is recorded as Balsall Heath Road, Pershore Road in Birmingham.

Viv.

image.jpeg

This is Hyam and Co on New Street. The store was built in the 1830s and was probably demolished in the 1950s (?). Must have been an impressive store to visit, if you had money of course. I've seen this image a few times but have never been too sure whereabouts it was on New Street. Viv

image.jpeg

In 1880 Hyam's were 21-23 New St , which is to the right of Union Passage, red on the map c1889

map c1889 showing 21-23 new st.jpg

A misty looking New Street from near corner of Temple Street. The town hall faintly visible in the mist.
newstreet.jpg

In 1880 Hyam's were 21-23 New St , which is to the right of Union Passage, red on the map c1889

View attachment 117882

For 1877 Hyam and Co advert says they are at 21, 22, 23 New Street...suits, made to measure trousers ect.

Holiday, Lewis and Co and later Holiday Son and Co are at 28 and 30 New Street in 1845 and expand around 1865 to take in 25, 26 and 27.

In the 1845 advert 28-30 is Warwick House.

This is Hyam and Co on New Street. The store was built in the 1830s and was probably demolished in the 1950s (?). Must have been an impressive store to visit, if you had money of course. I've seen this image a few times but have never been too sure whereabouts it was on New Street. Viv

View attachment 117881

Hyam and Co were still advertising in 1916 as 21, 22, 23 New Street.

So maybe moving to the left is Warwick House as shown in the link mentioned above and again below...

https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/warwick-house-new-street.html

Back