• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

harro95

proper brummie kid
Hi there,

I am looking for any information about my Uncles biological father Aubrey G Hunt. He was Born in 1927ish (but could have lied about his age) he was born in Nigeria but must of had English parents as our DNA results don't come up with any African background. I have found him on a passenger list coming from Belgian Congo in 1951 as a Gold Recovery officer and he used my Nan's parents address in Hall Green, Birmingham.
My Nan June was engaged to him around 1951, she was also pregnant but later found out that he had another fiancée and she was also pregnant. Nan and her parents took him to court, she remembers other ladies there as well that also new him and they were victims of his lies. There is a Lilian B Wells or Brindley that married an Aubrey G Hunt in 1952 in Birmingham but cant find any other records that could give me any more clues.

I can't get hold of the court cases because the records aren't for public viewing but they did say I could try to get a letter of request if I can get her death certificate.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Newspaper reports? Free to search but you need a subscription to read.

If you apply for the marriage certificate from Birmingham Register office it may give his correct age and the name and occupation of his father.
Lilian may have been married before, the marriage entry for Aubrey G hunt has him marryng , Lilian B Wells and Lilian B Brindley.
I can find a Lilian b Brindley born birmingham 1929 but cannot find her marriage to a Wells.

If you apply for the marriage certificate from Birmingham Register office it may give his correct age and the name and occupation of his father.
Lilian may have been married before, the marriage entry for Aubrey G hunt has him marryng , Lilian B Wells and Lilian B Brindley.
I can find a Lilian b Brindley born birmingham 1929 but cannot find her marriage to a Wells.
I could apply for a birth certificate but they cost around £30 or $60 here in Australia :(

Hi i have found Lilians marriage to William wells 1948.

Lilian B was born in Birmingham in 1929 , on the 1939 census as Betty Lilian

To obtain her marriage the 1952 marriage certificate you can access our Gov,uk. the general register office and order certificate online for £11.
You need to give both names and Volume 9c page 971

Lilian B was with her parents on the 1955ER as Hunt, no Aubrey, which could mean he wasn't there or that he wasn't entitled to vote.

Her death was reg. Dec qtr 1970 as Betty Lilian Rambert-de-Chaumont/Rambert.

Hi there,

I am looking for any information about my Uncles biological father Aubrey G Hunt. He was Born in 1927ish (but could have lied about his age) he was born in Nigeria but must of had English parents as our DNA results don't come up with any African background. I have found him on a passenger list coming from Belgian Congo in 1951 as a Gold Recovery officer and he used my Nan's parents address in Hall Green, Birmingham.
My Nan June was engaged to him around 1951, she was also pregnant but later found out that he had another fiancée and she was also pregnant. Nan and her parents took him to court, she remembers other ladies there as well that also new him and they were victims of his lies. There is a Lilian B Wells or Brindley that married an Aubrey G Hunt in 1952 in Birmingham but cant find any other records that could give me any more clues.

I can't get hold of the court cases because the records aren't for public viewing but they did say I could try to get a letter of request if I can get her death certificate.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I found this article dated 1952, not certain if it is your uncles father but could be.

Attachments

• Kensington_Post_15_May_1953_0003.jpg
    Kensington_Post_15_May_1953_0003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Hi i have found Lilians marriage to William wells 1948.

Lilian B was born in Birmingham in 1929 , on the 1939 census as Betty Lilian

To obtain her marriage the 1952 marriage certificate you can access our Gov,uk. the general register office and order certificate online for £11.
You need to give both names and Volume 9c page 971

I found this article dated 1952, not certain if it is your uncles father but could be.
I wonder if that is him? Nan did say to me before she passed that he had to pay her and the other girls compensation, so maybe was in debt. where you able to find any more Aubrey Hunts around 1951 or 52?

There's at least one more newspaper article for Arthur Godrey Hunt in the 1950s - in 1952 (Derby Daily Telegraph) A G Hunt of Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia (address 69 Finchley Rd) asking for help tracing relatives of his father Aubrey William, son of Henry Charles and Lucy Godrey Hunt

Aubrey William Hunt was born 1897 Derbyshire.

There is bit of a family tree on familysearch that has a some info. Tracing further than it seems fairly straightforward

Last edited:
And relevant for the forum, Aubrey William's father, Henry Charles Hunt, and his parents were born in Bham.

There's at least one more newspaper article for Arthur Godrey Hunt in the 1950s - in 1952 (Derby Daily Telegraph) A G Hunt of Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia (address 69 Finchley Rd) asking for help tracing relatives of his father Aubrey William, son of Henry Charles and Lucy Godrey Hunt
Here it is - didn't realise the Finchley Road was Birmingham.
1697901376091.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It was the address of his wife (Lilian Brindley) and her parents. They appear to have had a son (I assume the pregnancy mentioned by the op) Noel G, which I suppose may be Noel Godfrey.

There was an Aubrey William Hunt of the right age who served in the in the Nigeria Regiment Artillery (Field Telegraph Section) in 1915. They were involved in the capture of the neighbouring German colony in what's now Cameroon.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
My great-grandfather was in Nigeria for a time back in the early 1900s. I have very few records of his time there, but checking the same sources for Hunt family references, I have:
- John Hayward Hunt, initiated into the Zungery Freemasons lodge of Northern Nigera in 1911 (possibly died 1915)
- Gerald Aubrey Hunt, b. 1929 Jos, Nigeria, only son of missionaries Aubrey de Vere Hunt and Enid Newcombe. Gerald married Kathleen Belle Hawley in Vermont, 1955, and appears to have been a Baptist minister in Canada for most of his life.

No obvious Birmingham connection that I can find for this Hunt family, but the similarities in names and dates in Nigeria may suggest some distant link to the OP's Aubrey G. Hunt.

There are 3 military records (Award Rolls) for Aubrey William Hunt on Ancestry, which may all be for the same person, 2 for the Rhodesia Regiment and the Nigerian one mentioned above.

There is also a Harry Travers Hunt that appears to have the same 3 listings. Aubrey had a brother Henry Francis, I wonder it it's him with a bit of an error.

This is wonderful everyone, I will keep searching, fingers crossed one of the have done their DNA :cool: if anyone has anything else I would be very appreciated

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry that each appear to include a brother of Aubrey G in them, though they may not be the focus of either and the one is not very accurate.

The tree on familysearch previously mentioned appears to have detailed and recently added info, and it appears that you can contact the person who added it. I assume you'd have to register to do this but it's free to do so...

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry that each appear to include a brother of Aubrey G in them, though they may not be the focus of either and the one is not very accurate.

The tree on familysearch previously mentioned appears to have detailed and recently added info, and it appears that you can contact the person who added it. I assume you'd have to register to do this but it's free to do so...

thank you I will have a look

Back