• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Re: nechells park rd shops

can anyone remember L & B Green newsagents nechels park road

My wife has just asked me to try to find some information on here about her Great Grandmothers shop in Nechells.
She is pretty sure she was known as "Ma" by the Jamacan population who moved into the area and her name was Maud Ford or Maud Baxter (being her married name). She had two children, Lilly May & Owen (Lilly May being my wife's grandmother)
It was a newsagent type shop selling newspapers and cigarettes.
My wifes mother was a Brown.

Does anyone recall any of this please?

Sorry everyone, it seems as though the shop was not in Nechells, but 47 Sherbourne Road, possibly Acocks Green (?)

L & B Green newsagents was in nechells park road I do know this as it was my uncle's shop and i used to go to the shop with my dad, L was for les (lesley) B was for berel and there son was malcolme green only chiled.

Is this your Baxter family?
1920 at 4 court 15 Cromwell street
Victor Owen Baxter
1922 at 4 court 15 Cromwell street
Victor Owen Baxter,Frances Maud Baxter
1930 at 84 Duddeston Mill Road
1935-1945 at 45 Moseley Road
1947-1950 at 45 Moseley Road
Frances Maud Baxter and Owen Baxter
Victor died 10 December 1946 at 77 Dudley Rd.Probate was granted to widow Frances Maud Baxter.He left effects totalling £3496 13s 9d.
1955 at 222 Mary Street
Edward Brown,Lily Brown and Frances M Baxter
1960 at 222 Mary Street
Frances M Baxter
Frances died in 1963

My great grandparents lived at 274 Nechells Park Rd. William Arthur FELL and Annie Maria FELL nee Green. Does anyone know of the FELL family? Any info woud be very gratefully received. x

Is this your Baxter family?
1920 at 4 court 15 Cromwell street
Victor Owen Baxter
1922 at 4 court 15 Cromwell street
1930 at 84 Duddeston Mill Road
1935-1945 at 45 Moseley Road
1947-1950 at 45 Moseley Road
Frances Maud Baxter and Owen Baxter
Victor died 10 December 1946 at 77 Dudley Rd.Probate was granted to widow Frances Maud Baxter.He left effects totalling £3496 13s 9d.
1955 at 222 Mary Street
Edward Brown,Lily Brown and Frances M Baxter
1960 at 222 Mary Street
Frances M Baxter
Frances died in 1963

shame the pics of neachells park rd have gone. phil i would like to see the specks again,that was on the green lol.

pete

shame the pics of neachells park rd have gone. phil i would like to see the specks again,that was on the green lol.

pete

Pete,

Look now I have reinstated them, though I can't be sure they are all the original ones.

1547409829848.png

This is the photo in post 45 which Phil has kindly replaced.
I feel that the photo is unique on BHF as it shows a milliners shop. Well, it makes a change from pubs, greengrocers, general stores etc..

Addendum:
I have posted another of Phil's photos from earlier in this thread. The reason is it is the same lady, as Phi said, plus 46 years in trade is quite an achievement. I am sure that had it not been due to the demolition of her premises she would have continued her business for a few further years.

1547413698586.png1547409829848.png

Last edited:
When I replaced the images I didn't realise there were others missing, I have now replaced those as well to the best of my memory.

across from bullivants stood a large house, before the garage was put there. x on the map marks the spot, any one remember them

Attachments

• the big house.png
    the big house.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Back