• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Nechells Park Road Shops

When I was living there I think Mom use to get her wrap around pinafores and passion killer knickers from Bullivents which was on the corner of Cattells Grove and Nechells park road, there was also a butchers either next door or the shop after, also does anyone remember Morris the photographers on the other side of the road.
All the lads went there the first time they came home in uniform after being called up.

nechells park road

on the left hand side of Nechells park road as you came from town. There was a group of shops which lay back from the road and I think Morris was the last one.
I still have my photograph which I had taken there when I was confirmed.
Yes I do remember the pub, I use to pass it four times a day when I went to school and twice day when at work.
Maureen

Nechells Park Road Shops

there was not a bookies there during the 40/50s as they were not allowed. There was a bookie in railway terrace in a private house, I had to take dad's bets there on my way to school.!!!
I know one of the shops became a hairdressers about 1957 but I do not know what it was before hand. I remember the paper shop, it was a father and son and did the father only have one arm.?
do you remember the small shop almost opposite the woodman in cattells grove it was ran by two ladies I think Mother and daughter, did not go in there very often as we had one on the corner of Mount st. run by Mr and Mrs Ship.

Nechells Park Road Shop

Derek the photo you posted of the HOLBORN pub, is actually the VILLA TAVERN and the name can be made out on your photo. Perhaps it was known locally as The Holborn.

Sylvia, thats the pub "Wales" has been looking for a photo of!!

Nechells Park Road Shop

Let's hope Wales sees the post then Moma. The pub was still there when we passed a few weeks ago although it was closed down.

Nechells park rd shops

Houses were still being lived in, in fact when we moved in 1966 they moved another family into our house.
I think Brotherton closed about the middle 70 and the firm that took over Smith Stone and Knight, the paper mill, (i belive it was Kappa ) gradually enlarged their site to cover the old chemical place.
When I have to go to Holloway Circus I usually get the 66 from Erdington which goes along Nechelle Park rd
i did take my two children along there about 1980 and the houses at the top end of Mount St had been demolished also some of Cattells Grove.

Moma P

I think Wales is looking for photo's of The Villa Tavern and The Vine public houses in Villa Street Hockley/ Newtown. At least thats what I have been looking for.

pmc1947

Vine/Holborn

I think this pub was called the Holborn by locals as it was by Holborn Hill.
There was a vine pub on the corner of Vine St. off the Lichfield rd. in Aston.

the vine and the villa tavern

hi all. many thanks to you who are trying to find me photos of these two pubs. indeed they were both in villa street. i think moma p thought i was talking about the villa tavern in nechells. think its going to be very hard to find photos of these two pubs but i will keep on trying. many thanks again. wales.

Re: nechells park rd shops

hello pmc this picture you posted are you positive who she is ,because i think its an old friend of my mothers who run the milliners shop at the top of trever st next to the chemist and her name was sadie ,my mother used to get all her wool off her to knit our jumpers
ash

Hi Ash

I'm as sure about the photo as anybody can be these days concerning old photo, as I am sure you are aware many of them are mis-titled or have the wrong caption.

As far as I am aware this photo was from one of Anton Douglas's very fine books and was a little article about a lady Freda Baker who had owned the same shop in Nechells Park Rd for 46 years since 1922.

Fortunately there is also a photo of her when she opened the shop, and her name is displayed on the window. So in this case at least. I don't think there is any doubt.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Nechells Park Rd Freda Baker 1922.jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Rd Freda Baker 1922.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 32

Hi - my uncle and aunt ran a newspaper, sweets and tobacco shop in that row of shops from the 1950's to the 1990's - called O'Flynn's. Anyone remember it?
I used to visit occasionally with my Dad and it was magical to me - going behind the scenes in a sweet shop!

Frank

hi.frank f the name seems to ring a bell.where about was this shop.on nechells rd?.
icon14.gif
pete

Hi - I'd have to check with my cousins who lived there but I'm sure it was in the same row as the one featured in the pic in that earlier post.

Will confirm location.

Frank f

Hello, sorry about late reply but I have only just discovered this great site.

My Aunt and Uncle (John and Betty Davenport) owned a Grocer's store on the left hand side of Nechells park Road (looking toward Bloomsbury Street) a few shops up from the newsagent. This was in late fifties/early sixties.

My Dad owned a boot menders (Cobbler) on the right hand side (from the same aspect) just before the railway bridge. He was William Henry (aka Harry) Bennett. This was early fifties.

Later my mom (Brenda) had a baby millinery shop at 340 Bloomsbury Street (right next door to the Beehive Pub) from about 1958 to 1963.

Just come across this thread. Shops I remember before the war, Wimbushs' Nechells"Green" cake shop, sold lovely cream cakes, turn left into Nechells Park Rd, traditional grocery shop not sure of the name maybe Masons, weighed the sugar into blue paper bags, cut the bacon fresh on the slicer, patted the butter into shape from a big block, further along Whites Bakers ( my mother Worked there) then the was a record shop. on the opposite side there was a butchers,Hodges further along a greengrocers opposie Railway terrace next to which was Mercers the bakers where you could see them placing the bread into the oven, the smell of fresh baking bread was wonderful ! regards Reg Roverman

Re: re nechels prk rd

great roverman.i remember tailors .the dolls hospital,the post office and a small cafe,that always played lonny donagan records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Nechells Park Road Shop

what was the newsagents name next to the cleavland garage

Last edited by a moderator:

HI GUYS
I have been reading the nechells park rd threads with intrest but i noticed no one as mentioned bullivants along there
just up past clements rd and the public convieniaces they was there from donkeys years a drapers merchants selling curtaind bed linnen and all that kind
of materials they was one of the very last standingshops to be moved out and bul dozed they also had another store up on lozells rd many years ago at the same time
just up from the church and the ye old oak pub at six ways lozells
did any of you ever buy any think from them may be bed linnen or pillow cases and sheets
did any body know of the cummings family or the whills family along there best wishes astonan

hello pmc this picture you posted are you positive who she is ,because i think its an old friend of my mothers who run the milliners shop at the top of trever st next to the chemist and her name was sadie ,my mother used to get all her wool off her to knit our jumpers
ash
Hi Folk, I have just discovered this thread, I remember the shop at the top of Trevor Street next the chemists very well. In the early 1930's it was owned by a Mr. Jones, I believe the shop was an outfitters of some kind. Mr Jones had a car at the time and on occasions my father used to drive him to various places. Mr Jones also owned a dog, a Bull terrier or similar breed and my father had to go and see Mr Jones and I went with him. Whilst standing in the yard at the rear of the shop the dog bit me on the left knee on which I still can see faintly the teeth marks,as a result I was taken into the chemists next door who bathed my knee with warm water and applied liberal amounts of T.C.P., I think it was, applied a bandage and that was it , no anti tetanus jabs or anything. My Grand Mother who lived in Trevor Street also on occasions worked for the Jones family assisting the "Housekeeper" when "Spring Cleaning " etc. If I remember correctly the House Keeper's name was Mrs. Darley.
Regards Reg

Re: nechells park road

Derek, I was at Charlie Arthur too, in the late 50s, early 60s. Our swimming lessons were a nightmare for me - I really hated them. Almost drowned in the 6ft end, but thanks to an alert class-mate I was rescued. What years were you at Charlie Arthur?

Hello Angela,
i,m hopeless with dates,i was in the first year i came from loxton street,
Mr Troop was the Head.
we had our swimming lessons at nechells baths,i did,nt like the deep end as i could,nt swim at the time,
my sister as it goes also went there Sheila Greaves, regards dereklcg

Some of the shops in Nechells Park Rd, I won't bother giving the names as I'm sure they will be recognised.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells High Park Corner (2).jpg
    Nechells High Park Corner (2).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Nechells High Park Corner 1966.JPG
    Nechells High Park Corner 1966.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Nechells Nechells Park Rd  Bullivants 1971 .jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Rd Bullivants 1971 .jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Nechells Nechells Park Rd - Neachells Place.jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Rd - Neachells Place.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Nechells Nechells Park Rd @ Butlin St  c1970.jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Rd @ Butlin St c1970.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: drm
Re: re nechells pk rd

Just one more I couldn't squeeze in.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells+park+road+1967e[1].jpg
    Nechells+park+road+1967e[1].jpg
    78 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: drm

delivered papers for flyns paper shop about 1964, it had the 43 bus stop right outside two shops down from bullivants. anyone who had been in there would surely remember he served two kinds of snuff from two wooden barrels with a very small spoon into paper bags.he paid about 2/6 for a weeks work.

That must be the newsagents in the fourth photo?

Phil

Back