• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Rd shops.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Hi,any one got any pictures of the shops along nechells park rd,Looking from the baths end please, around 50/60s.or any one remember them? pete

Hello Pete. I only remember a shop near Nechells Green. They sold a lot of American crime magazines, grizzly murders and I used to write about them in lessons at school but it did not go down very well.

nechels park rd

Hi ernie. i loved that swimming baths.there every night.i still cant swim though. pete

Nechells Swimming Baths.

PETER. I shall get " BANNED " from this site.
I used to look up at the girls changing rooms along the top with the frosted glass panels in the doors, to wave at the girls they stood very close to the frosted glass and that really made my day.

Peter. I learned to swim at Woodcock Street swimming baths, only the breast stroke but I did manage to swim for the school. I can still only do the breast stroke but I don't swim any more.

Last edited:
nechells park road

happy days when i was at charles arthur street we used to have our swimming class there.
i remember the shallow end being deep it was almost up to the chinn of a little un.
:cry: i can remember lathams on nechells park road,
i have seen on the net someware a lot of pics of nechells green,found this pic i used to work down the road, later in life arley road off aston church road had an absis and could,nt stand the pain so had a few in the holbourn pictured, and slept all afternoon at work.
regards dereklcg

re baths

noughty boy ernie,yer girls left boys right,i was in there every night after school,untill the attendant tryed to get us out with that hook on a pole.we would stand in the middle ond boo him,we never got banned though,Some times the lady in the hatch would tell my friend to have a bath before she would let him in cheeky woman said to him you are always
diry,mind you he was bless him.after we got out we would go and have a hot spud with the boiler man and a warm,before getting a bag of specs,"scabby fruit not glasses" for a penny from the green grocer along the road,then some scratching,"fish batter"from the chipy it is a wonder we was not ill eating all that cra*.but to us it was great.I went in there in
1996 with a man from the council for a look,"OW"dear me it was all deralict
vandalised,glass about no boards,what a shock,i could still here the kids shouting and sqeeling as thay did years ago.i would not like to see inside now it is done up.i want to remember as it was.

Peter. I am the same as you, nothing ever seems the same as it was years ago. I think that is why it is so nice to talk with people that remember things as they were all those years ago. Those photo's posted by Phil ( pmc1947 )
certainly brought things back for me.

re nechels pk rd

true ernie some times it best to remember the way it was not is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter & Ernie,

These are the best snaps of Nechells Park Rd that I can sort out at the moment.
They are perhaps a little older than desired, but it didn’t change much until recently did it?

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Nechells Park Road .jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Road .jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Nechells Nechells Park Road  (2) - Copy.jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Road (2) - Copy.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Nechells Nechells Park Road  (2).jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Road (2).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Nechells Nechells Park Road  (3) - Copy.jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Road (3) - Copy.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Nechells Nechells Park Rd Freda Baker 1922.jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park Rd Freda Baker 1922.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: drm
re nechells park rd

Thanks phil,will have alook later at pics

Peter. Sorry to hear how you are feeling, hoping you will feel much better after your rest. TAKE CARE Pete.
pmc1947. Phil once again GREAT PHOTOGRAPHS. That area was just an occasional place that I visited but remember some of it quite well and the photographs really help to bring it all back again.

Derecklcg. Is the other building on your photograph part of Nechells Swimming Baths? Its been so long since I have been that way.

re nechells prk road

Hello, all.great pics of nechells ta for postings,i never went to woodcock st baths, there was some good shops
along nechels park rd,a radio shop that sold xtal sets,a bike shop,a shop that made is own blackcurent ice lollys "yumyum"coop,fruit shops chipies,
and the nechells hall were we watched popey and cartoons of a friday night for about 3d admin,I was a member of the lifeboys,not known these
days.bullivants drapers,and a great junk yard/shop that sold wierd and wonderful junk,from ww2.

re nechells pk rd

Ta ALF,i have been looking this morning for input,i only found BB. i later become a scout at 221 st anns,devon st.lot about them on forum.dib dib dib.i can not find any thing on the www about nechells pk rd shops any idears? pete

re nechells pk rd

pmc1947.phil them hats look more like ww2 german helmets,than womans hats.
that sure is a old pic pete

Back