• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Burial Index

Tiny

master brummie
Hi
Can anyone help, I have been told that there is available a National Burial Index. as a follow up to my family tree i would like to find the burial places for my ancesters can anyone give me information as to where I may purchase these from and the cost.
Thanking you.
Tiny

National Burial Index - Edition 3
It is still not a complete index to all burials,though.
cost is between £25 and £30,I think

I've not got a lot of faith in these products. 18 Million records since 1538! A quick search reveals that in the 16th Century the population rose from 3 Million to 4 Million. Given the 'attrition' rate of newly borns at the time, and the early Death rate, even the latter 2/3rd's of that Century might account for half a Million records.

A quick look on FreeBMD, 1837 - 1983, where they admit that all records have not been transcribed, they have approaching 300 Million discrete records (Births/Marriages/Deaths). Add another three hundred years and, I'd hate to guess at how many Burials have taken place during that time - 200 Million? Who knows?

It's not that I've got anything against these products per se. It is just that the sellers tend to be 'economical with the truth'. If they have extensive coverage of certain Counties but less so with others, then say so. Guesstimate!

I purchased a CD with Marriages from a certain Church, not a great amount of money but, it was images of the (abbreviated) Bishops Transcripts, rather than the actual Register. It was helpful, but......

National Burial Index?
Morelike less than 10% of all recorded burials.

Findmypast have some burials for selected areas. They sometimes have special offers, or I think you can still buy credits.
There are a few on Familysearch too, and that's free!!
rosie.

Back