• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Name of old Factory in Jewellery Quarter ?

chucka

Black Country Mon
Went on walkabouts around Hockley, Jewellery Quarter and Spring Hill on Wednesday, saw this old factory in Camden Drive, wondered if anyone knew the name of it.

Chucka

Chuka
The building is actually listed as 22-23 Legge lane and is (mainly) what used to be the Wellington brass works of william walker brassfounders, built 1860. the firm merged but was in the building (in part) as Walker & Woodward till the 1970s
mike

I actually worked in part of that building in the '60s. It was then Lustre Finish Anodising, part of the Britachrome group - parent Compant Foulkes Engineering.
After I left they decided they couldn't get anyone as good as me to work in the office so burned the place down (not sure if that was factually correct...but still!)
The building at the back of that (in Legge Lane) was Barrowclift Spinnings.
That also burned down some time ago and is a sad wreck (back to me again!!)

Thanks lads, nice to know a little history of the building, i can now add your comments in my picture file. Cheers.

Chucka

I took this one last Saturday of the same building. Umm Charlie nice story!

Hi Wendy, sounds like you like walkabouts with your camera too, cant beat it !! Here is another of a lovely terrace in Springhill.
Chucka

before the council got wise to an entrance the homeless used to use, I took some pictures inside this building, it even had a BOAT inside!! (pictures from April 2007)

It has since been bought by Birmingham College of Food.

barrowclifffrontfv6.jpg

boatay1.jpg

out2cq2.jpg

workplace1ha7.jpg

upout3qj1.jpg

out5qu8.jpg

See the rest here...

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11785

Yeah, the old Barrowclift Spinnings factory. I've not been in there myself, despite many attempts. Cool looking place, and was used for the manufacture of spun brass. Some castings in there too was there D-UK? I've heard of a room full of cast metal letters?

These?

letters2pd7.jpg

Before one of the numerous fires, these used to grace the side of the building but now lay on the first floor.

Nice photos Derelict. I would loved to have got in there when we were on the amble the other week. It's like Fort Knox now, with brand new razor wire around the place.

Well Done D.UK, great pic's, we need to find these places before they all disappear.

Chucka

It's nice to see photo's of the inside of the building.........thanks yet again Derelict :)

Back