• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA.

geehigh

Ex Lea Village Lad
Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA.

I visited this museum this morning, and after a rather dodgy first impression given to me upon arrival at the information desk (which I understand from previous visitors was very much the exception to the rule), I found the place fascinating.

This is probably the most 'unsung' of all the new BMAG Trust sites, yet for me it is one of the best provided that you join a tour group. If you do not do this you will not be admitted to the workshop. Without the tour, the place is probably not worth the effort to be honest.

The tour guides are very good, build an excellent rapport with visitors and are well versed in their subject.

Here is a video that I shot earlier today in the Jeweller's Workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdZZ6ohq8hM

I hope you enjoy.

Best wishes

Graham. :)

Re: Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA

Thank you for this video Graham, I visited the Museum a long time ago but did not see that type of demonstration. I would like to go again soon. It was very interesting especially as my Grandad was a master jeweller in the Jewellery Quarter. The main problem is we can't stand for long!!
rosie.

Re: Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA

My pleasure Rosie. :encouragement:

It's quite amazing how many lives that the Jewellery Quarter has touched. I thought I was pretty immune to it all myself; this was until yesterday when my wife pointed to the spectacle works opposite the museum with a 'my god, that's still there!'. She then told me that was where she got her first job.

...and of course no prizes for guessing where our wedding rings were made. :love_heart:

As far as the museum tour is concerned, all the guides bend over backwards to assist anyone in difficulties. So if you do visit, just mention that you need a seat for the talks. They'll get you the best ones in the house (or workshop)! There were a few people sitting around whilst the presentation that I shot was going on, so there won't be any problem.

There's also a nice big comfortable couch to sit on while you wait for the tour guide to collect you.

Going down to the workshop does involve going down a flight of stairs though; but again the guides are quick to offer assistance if this is likely to be a problem for some visitors.

Best wishes

Graham :)

www.geehistory.org.uk

Visited this museum yesterday. Staying in Solihull and got a train that went direct to the Jewellery Quarter station. The museum is only 5 minutes walk away in Vyse Street. We went on a guided tour that lasted 75 minutes. It's mainly about the history of the Smith and Pepper factory. The guide explained everything very well and there was emphasis on the family who ran the Company and their workers. The Company made gold jewellery but all the demonstrations of cutting, stamping and cleaning were on thin-brass plates. There is a café and shop. Entry is £7 per person for the tour. Fascinating visit and interesting to see the cramped and poor health and safety conditions that the workers had to endure (talking mainly 1920s). The Jewellers Arms Pub is quite close by but we did not go in there. Dave

Purchased a book-mark at the museum which gives more information on the gold jewellery that was made by Smith and Pepper. Products included: bracelets, brooches, pendants, necklets, earrings, crosses etc., etc. Specialities were Bamboo, Nellie Stewart and Slave Bangles. Found that Nellie Stewart was a famous Australian singer and performer in the early part of the 20th century. The bangle worn by her and later named after her was given to a woman to denote a romantic attachment from a male admirer. Dave
P1000240 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Back