• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mumby Beatrice of Aston

• Thread starter margaretsheridan
  • Start date
M

margaretsheridan

Hi there,
I am interested in finding out more about a Beatrice Mumby of Aston
Beatrice was born around 1887 daughter of Albert Mumby.
1891 Rg12/2423 folio 60 page 6 Aston Warwickshire

66 Butlin Street

Albert Mumby age 39 builders foreman Hull Yorkshire
Mary Ann wife age 41 Brigend Glamorganshire
Louisa dau age 18 sewing machinist Hereford
Charlotte E dau age 16 Pen Maker Cardiff
Mary A dau age 14 Pen maker Cardiff
Clara M dau age 11 Birmingham
Florence dau age 8 Birmingham
Albert thos son age 7 Birmimgham
Beatrice Mumby age 3 Birmingham

Beatrice may have married my Uncle, Frank Luckman around 1914, with a daughter Beatrice dying in infancy in 1915
Frank went to fight in WW1 and on his return "divorced ??" Beatrice and married an Edith Willetts

It seems that Beatrice may have later married a Wilfred Payton

Any help or advice much appreciated :):)

Re: Beatrice Mumby of Aston

Hello Margaret :) I think the information (answers ) you require has already been posted
this morning on the excellent ENG-WARKS-BIRMINGHAM Digest listing site.
Some very talented (Genealogy) folks on there & very helpful too,
Ok Margaret, check back in here after checking out aforementioned & i beleive its correct for you,
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Thanks John, that was me yesterday !!!

We don't know much about Uncle Frank, my father was much younger than him. He died in 1963 before I was born, so I don't even know what he looked like !
Anyway........I have made some progress this morning, I telephoned the lovely people at Birmingham registry office and they are sending me a copy of the marriage certificate.:)
Anyone any idea's how "ordinary folk" obtained a divorce in those days ??
Frank was married to his second wife by 1925 - although so far, after much hunting, I still can't find a marriage record for Frank Luckman and Edith Willetts !

Any help much appreciated
Margaret

Hi Margaret :) Glad your,re progressing nicely now,
Divorce was not so easy in those days,, also much more expensive pro rata to present standards,,
So the "2nd" marriage may not even have happened ? you may be searching for a "non event"
Thats a possibility above,,His marriage may have ended, they just "parted" so 2nd "wife" just for Social protocol,
Just some thoughts for you,, Cheers JohnY :cool:

Yes, that was my original thoughts too............but all the children from the second marriage are registered also and there is a record of a "Beatrice Luckman" marrying a Wilfred Payton in the late 1920's.

It really makes me a smile...........we used to visit widowed Edith and family in Smethwick when I was child. Such a "straight laced" familylol.........now the skeletons are jumping out of the closet !

Any help much appreciated :D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks John, that was me yesterday !!!

We don't know much about Uncle Frank, my father was much younger than him. He died in 1963 before I was born, so I don't even know what he looked like !
Anyway........I have made some progress this morning, I telephoned the lovely people at Birmingham registry office and they are sending me a copy of the marriage certificate.:)
Anyone any idea's how "ordinary folk" obtained a divorce in those days ??
Frank was married to his second wife by 1925 - although so far, after much hunting, I still can't find a marriage record for Frank Luckman and Edith Willetts !

Any help much appreciated
Margaret

Just a quick update - the really nice people at Birmingham registry office sent me the cert within 48 hours !
Beatrice Mumby of 8 Teall Road married Frank Luckman of 10 Teall Road at St Marks Church Washwood Heath July 1914

The editor of the Birmingham post also printed my request for info in tonight's issue !! ( Tuesday)

Best Wishes,
Margaret

Hi
I was wondring if your Wilfred Payton was related to my grandad John William Payton . I cant find anything out about grandad except that He lived in Aston and was married to Sarah Smith .

My gran
John William Payton Death was registered 3rd quarter 1937, aged 48
Sarah Smith Rhodes Death death registered 3Q 1964 aged 72
Marriage registered for Sarah Smith and John W. Payton in Aston, 3rd quarter 1915 vol 6d page 1006

Thats all I know . Can You help me please ?

Back