• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Motorcycle Factory Location

dwilly

master brummie
Some time ago I had a thought of putting together a list of all the old motorcycle manufactures that were in Birmingham. The idea never got further than in my head. It maybe something that this forum could now help with. Thinking could list the manufactures with the head office address, maybe a photograph or etching of the old factory. Then could add, via goggle maps or something similar a picture of what’s there now. Think there is some way of loading this info onto Google maps.

The idea started because as a lad I remember there used to be a run round the Outer Circle and bikes used to pull up at various points. I remember they used to stop in Stechford, just down the hill past the railway station. At the time I thought it was just a convenient place to stop but then when I moved to Stechford I discovered it was the site of the old Levis motorcycle company. All that’s left now is an industrial park which may or may not carry the name on.

Who knows maybe one day the outer circle run might return and they can visit these old sites. Think the tester’s run comes close to some of these sites.

I did list many Motorcycle Factory locations in Birmingham in my Industrial Heritage book, but some location were brief and odd new locations are found in archive sources from time to time.

As for the Levis, after 1945 the factory made HEC Power Cycles, does any body remember this type of vehicle?

Ray Shill

Hi Ray,

I don't remember the power cycles, but HEC also made compressors..
Incidentally, Levis changed the spelling of their name to Leviss, - I think
possibly in the 1970s, and having noticed the change to their sign, I asked
why, and the chap told me that it was because their company name was
getting confused with Levi's, and they were getting inundated with calls
about jeans!

Kind regards

Dave

Some time ago I had a thought of putting together a list of all the old motorcycle manufactures that were in Birmingham. The idea never got further than in my head. It maybe something that this forum could now help with. Thinking could list the manufactures with the head office address, maybe a photograph or etching of the old factory. Then could add, via goggle maps or something similar a picture of what’s there now. Think there is some way of loading this info onto Google maps.

The idea started because as a lad I remember there used to be a run round the Outer Circle and bikes used to pull up at various points. I remember they used to stop in Stechford, just down the hill past the railway station. At the time I thought it was just a convenient place to stop but then when I moved to Stechford I discovered it was the site of the old Levis motorcycle company. All that’s left now is an industrial park which may or may not carry the name on.

Who knows maybe one day the outer circle run might return and they can visit these old sites. Think the tester’s run comes close to some of these sites.

here's a link to a page listing all of the Birmingham motorcycle manufacturers plus some history. Doesn't give addresses but it is a good base from which to start. Good luck.

https://bikemeet.net/index.php?topic=6237.0

Thanks, Dave,

It would be nice to find a picture of the Levis Factory from street level. There being one on Britain from Above, all be it part of a more general view .

That list I believe was put together by Jon Price, one time organiser of the Tester Run.

Ray Shill

To add to Bob's post.....

My Great Grandfather manufactured the 'Metro' motorcycle just pre WW I in a small garage in Ladywood, (now a grassy knoll !), and like many of the 100 or so similar Motorcycle and Cyclecar Manufacturers assembled these from 'bought in' bits. In the turmoil of post-War economics. he sold out to a London based Engineering firm, and the 'bikes became the Metro-Tyler. Most of the smaller makes disappeared in the 20's, victims of the Wall Street Crash. A few soldiered on until WW II, but went under / changed manufacturing product / amalgamated or otherwise ceased trading. Some were driven by strong men, like 'Black' Ernie Humphries and Edward Turner,or had competition success to fall back on, like Norton & Velocette. Others continued more by luck than judgement !
To see what REALLY happened, and how Management stupidity and greed, (The Dockers for example), caused the collapse of the Industry, read Bert Hopwoods book, "Whatever happened to the British Motorcycle Industry". An insider at the front line of the Norton / BSA / Triumph powerhouse from the 30's through to the 70's. he tells the truth. Its a real eye opener. The 750 3 cylinder was ready to go in 1963, a whole 6 years before Honda started the Superbike trend with the CB750/4,or how about the OHC Bonneville in 1959 ? a spitting image of the Kawasaki 650 now on sale ? The preponderance of Accountants and Consultants draining the Industry, and non-motorcycling Managers stopping the buying Public being listened to doomed this Industry to failure.

Certainly a comprehensive account of factors that led to the demise of the motorcycle industry. Some accounts have mentioned managements slowness to react to competition, others are critical of union power and others still have recognised the lack of investment. There seems to be a wide range of factors that led to that demise and no single cause. Of course cycle buyers have in more recent times have been able to buy Triumph Motorcycles, which are now made in Hinckley. Efforts to restart Norton Motorcycles have not been so successful.

Ray Shill

Hi, Unfortunately, the link doesn't work anymore. Can you supply an alternative link listing all the Birmingham motorcycle manufacturers' please.

Hi, Unfortunately, the link doesn't work anymore. Can you supply an alternative link listing all the Birmingham motorcycle manufacturers' please.
Hi, the owners of the website are updating the forum. I suggest you go to the website via the link and navigate to the 'home' page, from there you can monitor when the page you are looking for, returns.

its nice to see levis has made a comeback.:)

below is
The H.E.C Power Cycle, was fitted with an 80cc deflector-top two-stroke engine made by Levis. The machine made its debut at the Earls Court Show in November 1938 and went on sale in 1939, with a LEVIS badge on the engine. The engine was updated later that year, ready for the 1940 season, and the Levis badge on the engine was replaced with an H.E.C badge (as on this particular machine).

However, sales were short-lived. With the outbreak of war, the company relocated to Birmingham. But, on 3rd May, 1940, the HEC factory in Thorpe St, Birmingham was bombed. No more autocycles were built, and Levis and HEC merged to manufacture air-compressors. Very few Levis/H.E.C autocycles were manufactured, and even fewer of the H.E.C badged examples survive.
1656317238302.png 1656317045921.png

Hi, the owners of the website are updating the forum. I suggest you go to the website via the link and navigate to the 'home' page, from there you can monitor when the page you are looking for, returns.
As the link does not work (404 error) this links to the home page

I have an interest in motorcycles produced by the Excelsior Motor Company whose factory was in Kings Road, Tyseley. I own, and am restoring, a 1951 Excelsior Roadmaster motorcycle which is not quite as old as me. I have searched in vain for photographs of what the old factory looked like in its heyday. Can anybody help? The old building is currectly occupied by Simple Storage at 272 Kings Road.

Excelsior motor Co, started off making vehicles in Coventry before moving to King's Road, Tyseley in 1921. Have you tried 'Britain from Above' ? You just might get an exterior view.

I know what the building looks like now as I can see 272 Kings Road on Google Streets. As I said in my post, I’d like to see what the factory looked like in its heyday. I also have a small book on Excelsior so am familiar with its history.

Excelsior motor Co, started off making vehicles in Coventry before moving to King's Road, Tyseley in 1921. Have you tried 'Britain from Above' ? You just might get an exterior view.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with 'BritainfromAbove' although I am now. I have discovered the following image which shows the Excelsior works in Kings Road directly opposite the Girling Brake Lining factory and Hay Hall Road. Thank you for the tip off. https://britainfromabove.org.uk/cy/image/EAW029661

It seems now that there is a website for Levis based in Norwich. It would be of interest to know if they intend to make new vehicles, or if they have done so. The images on the website for the new bikes are similar to the new Ariels made.

The Levis Works at Stechford included a flat roof main building. This section of a view from Britain from Above shows this building. I was told that Levis bikes were tested on the roof.

Levis 1939.jpg

Hi Heartland,

I lived for 15 years in Frederick Road, just off Albert Road,
and knew an old chap who had lived there since before World War 1.
He had owned a Levis motorcycle himself, and obviously knew a lot about them.

He told me that Levis used the circuit formed by Albert Road , Station Road ,
Old Station Road and Northcote Road as their test track. I guess there wouldn't have
been too much traffic around in those days!

Kind regards
Dave

No not then I suppose, but now it is quite busy with not all vehicles obeying the speed limit. But to use public roads as a test track may have needed permission from Birmingham Corporation I suspect, unless it was unofficial usage. Levis bikes being made in 1911 would have placed the factory in Birmingham.

With the demolition of the factory and the creation of the Trading Estate left a long building facing Albert Road which lasted longer. It had various uses and was first used as Malthouse.

Hi Heartland,

Yes, it was pretty busy when I was there in the 50s and 60s, and not helped a great deal by
the previous brick arch type bridge, which was not properly aligned with the road, resulting
in you having to be pretty close before you got a decent view through it. It wasn't very wide either.

I can't see what test driving could possibly be done on that flat roof, -even if it was practicable to
get a bike up there. No balustrade either! I would think that the testing my friend referred to would
have just been literally, "a few turns around the block" at normal road speeds.

Kind regards
Dave

I do not remember the brick arch bridge in Albert Road, It would be of use to see if anybody has a picture of it, and the Laundry also. Of course, Northcote Road junction is south of this bridge. The modern bridge has the No 1 on it indicating that it is the start of the Branch Railway to Aston. As the hill starts at this bridge the narrower bridge must have been tasking for road users. I gather this bridge was replaced after the Stechford Train Crash. Beyond the Bridge looking up to the Northcote Road on the left was the Criterion Works which was associated with the Photographic Trade.

1939 592 cc Levis 600

“Far removed from the Levis company's vintage image as makers of small two-strokes, the 1939 '600* was a rugged and very sporty machine.

The last Levis motorcycles were built in 1939, production ceasing on the outbreak of war. However, the company is still in existence at the familiar old address at Stechford, Birmingham Today they add an extra 's' to the name, and are known as Leviss Ltd to avoid confusion with the clothing manufacturer and to emphasise to their Middle Eastern customers that they have no Israeli connection. (In fact, the Levis name comes from the Latin, the company's motto being Levis et Celer, "Light and Swift'.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum. Bob Currie.

6D481808-D8F5-4853-8061-4256C79306F0.jpeg

82EE22CF-FBCE-4F48-BA04-7E0FB30559B4.jpeg

Back