• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Village Post Office

Bishopsmate

master brummie
My Grandad used to work out of Moseley Post Office in the 'good old days'.
Thought these might be interesting:
Mosely Road Post Office Forum02.JPGMosely Road Post Office Forum01.JPGMosely Road Post Office Forum03.JPG

Hi,
Thanks for these photos. Did you know that the building has now been redeveloped as the 'Moseley Exchange' and run by Moseley Community Development Trust? At first I was not certain if we were looking at the same building, but I compared your photos with some on the Moseley CDT website and you can clearly see the same pattern of roof beams and windows. I showed your photos to two of the people invloved and they were very interested.

I've attached some pictures, taken in 2008, showing the rebuilding work. More can be seen at https://www.moseleycdt.com/exchange_photo.php. Thank you again for sharing.
Jonathan

p9180146.jpg p9180138.jpg photo0129.jpg

Wow! thanks for the photos and link. I would never have thought it. Just looking at the roof in this first picture, it looks the same as in my first picture.
I remember that when I lived in Park Hill, I had to go down the side of the Post Office to sign on for my benefits. It felt weird then to be where my grandfather and uncles had worked for many years. I have a newspaper clipping of when Grandad retired and how the residents all clubbed together to buy him a present etc. Will post it when I can find it.
thanks again

That is fascinating. Do you know the approximate date of the photos? Is your Grandad in one of them? The newspaper clipping would be very interesting.

I have shown the photos to Fiona Adams and Tony Thapar who are involved in running the Exchange. Fiona is a long-time resident of Moseley, founder member of the Moseley Society and she remembers in the early 1970s when the post office counter still looked much like it does in your picture. They have asked me to ask you if (a) you are ok with the photos being displayed on the wall of the newly renovated exchange, and (b) if so, could we get hi-resolution scans of them so that they print well at a larger size?

Jonathan

This is just too funny for words!!! I have just contacted the Society and asked if they knew of anyone who wanted the above photos!!!

The photos are on Cardboard backing, I assume they were in frames at some time.
Please ask them to contact me as a pm.
Many thanks Jonathan

what fantastic photos jonathan...as already asked is your grandad on any of them..even better that the building is still there...

lyn

what fantastic photos jonathan...as already asked is your grandad on any of them..even better that the building is still there...

lyn
Yes my Grandad is seated on the right front row in the third photo. He was a lovely man - short, fat, jolly, musical ............ everything a Grandad should be!!

That's great Bishopsmate, and even better news that the building has been restored and still in use.
I remember Moseley Village in the early 80's when we did our care of the elderly placement at Moseley Hall Hospital, it was a lovely place and lots of smaller shops to mooch around, everyone was friendly too. We missed it when we moved back to Selly Oak after our placement.
Sue

This PO seems to have been perfectly squeezed between the housing. Or maybe it’s a trick if the camera. Sorry no date for this.

Viv.

E9A4AB89-4CAC-42BE-8D20-DB6816C53B23.jpeg

Back