• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Secondary School.

Sparkhill Boy

master brummie
I attended this school from 1960 until 1965 after being at the College Rd Junior & Infants. I'm sure it's still there.
I found an old autograph book the other day containing the names of the teachers at both schools, they bring back many memories, some good, some not so good.
The boys grammer school was next door, their playground separated only by a hedge, guess where we would go during playtime!
I would be interested to hear from anyone who went there during this time.

Hi, I've only recently joined the site and have just read your post. I also attended College Rd Infants and Junior school as well as Moseley Modern. It seems I was there around the same time as you. I started in 1963 and left 1968. Mr Hales was my form master in my final year. Do you remember a girl by the name of Alice, she was a year older than me. No surname sorry, memory failure. I'm Peter Timbrell. My email is timbertops52@yahoo.co.uk. Hope to hear from you.

I attended this school from 1960 until 1965 after being at the College Rd Junior & Infants. I'm sure it's still there.
I found an old autograph book the other day containing the names of the teachers at both schools, they bring back many memories, some good, some not so good.
The boys grammer school was next door, their playground separated only by a hedge, guess where we would go during playtime!

i attended MSM from September 1957 until leaving in July 1963. The head was Miss Eileen Cohen who announced her marriage to a Mr Albert North ( not sure of his Christian name) on the day I left.

My first form was 1GCE with form teacher Mr Albert (?) Higgins: 2nd Year 2GCE Peter Holloway; I think 3rd Year 3GCE Nora Hodges (French); 4th Year 4GCE Mr Venables (Science); 5th Year 5GCE Mr Hutchinson (History)

In the same year I started at Moseley, after moving from 63 Wake Green Road opposit St Agnes Road to 973 Stratford Road at the top of the hill from the College Arms Close to the old Rialto cinema.

Sadly, my academic prowess was virtually non-existant in my early formative years enjoying sport and the company of my pals too much! Fortunately, although I was a slow starter I managed to carve a rewarding career in the retail travel industry until I sold my business interests to a multiple in 1996 and have been fortunate enough to be semi-retired from the age of 50.

Many happy memories both of Moseley and the Hall Green area which has much changed since I left Birmingham circa 1969. No longer having any relatives or friends in the city, my visits are less than very few but my wife and I had promised ourselves a weekend visit this summer to look at my old haunts but, of course, Covid put an end to those plans.

Stay safe, Stay well.

Malc,

Welcome to the Forum. Moseley Secondary School was demolished a few years ago, as was part of the old Moseley Grammar School (now Moseley School) and the latter has accordingly had a big extension.

You mention the Head's marriage to a Mr North. He wasn't by any chance the former Head of Wheelers Lane Secondary, was he?

You can pretty much guarantee that most things within a mile or so of the City Centre have either been demolished or changed, but that area on the Sparkhill/Hall Green boundary is still largely intact. Good exploring!

Maurice :cool: a Knowle Road resident throughout the 1940s

Malc,

Welcome to the Forum. Moseley Secondary School was demolished a few years ago, as was part of the old Moseley Grammar School (now Moseley School) and the latter has accordingly had a big extension.

You mention the Head's marriage to a Mr North. He wasn't by any chance the former Head of Wheelers Lane Secondary, was he?

You can pretty much guarantee that most things within a mile or so of the City Centre have either been demolished or changed, but that area on the Sparkhill/Hall Green boundary is still largely intact. Good exploring!

Maurice :cool: a Knowle Road resident throughout the 1940s

Maurice

Thank you for your message. I remember Knowle Road well as we had some student members of our school who lived there - the Griffiths and Molyneux families for two although that could have been the parallel Solihull Road.

I paid a visit to Moseley ‘new’ building some 10-15 years ago pre-demolition albeit I understood it was only the wing closest to the old grammar school building that was to be taken down but I may be wrong.

I am fairly sure Albert North, who married Eileen Cohen, was a past Head of Wheelers Lane. I met them both at a school reunion I helped organise at the Greswolde in Knowle back in the eighties - he seemed a very nice chap especially after giving me a malt whiskey at their home in Knowle after giving them a lift!

I think Eileen was starting dementia even then as she was convinced I was a past Head Boy! At the time of my schooldays I thought she was an ogre but on reflection and with my age and wisdom now, I believe she was a very good Head and I did not appreciate her as I most certainly should have done.

It is now ten years since my wife and I last visited the area hence our now postponed visit we had planned for this summer Is off the agenda due to this wretched Covid. We are only thankful that we now live in the rural Staffordshire Moorlands and have done for approaching 50 years - fewer people, clean air and outstanding scenery.

Again, thank you for your interest and response.

Stay safe, Stay well.

Malcolm

Last edited:
Malcom,

Yes, parallel with Solihull Road, and I lived at number 215, 40 or 50 yards in from Stratford Road on the left nahd side.

I never knew Mr North, but he was my late brother's Head, and according to him was strict but fair. We moved from Knowle Road to Albert Road, Kings Heath, into which that school had an entrance, but not now.

Likewise I've lived in north east Crete for over 15 years, which has a very low crime rate and plenty of unspoilt countryside.

Regards,

Maurice :cool:

lan Williams
Hi

My name is Gabby (Laki) I was a pupil at the school from 1960 to 1964. During Mrs. North's days (Mrs. Cohen)

I was a keen gymnast and also a member of the Football and cricket teams. Mr. Scott was the sports teacher, Mr. Johnson was the art teacher.
Some of the school's pupils were Joe Lewis, Terry Hunt, Alan Williams, John Williams, Bobby Taylor, Clifford Ogdon, John Ballard, Dusbury, Jimmy Gibson, and Peter O'Sullivan, Keith Underwood was a very good friend of mine.
There was also an Asian boy called Janty who was better at maths than the teacher.

I am now retired and living in London with my wife and 2 grown-up sons.

If you have any memories of this period, I'd love to hear from you.

Kind Regards

Gabby

Last edited:
lan Williams

Hi

I also attended this school from 1960 to 1964. My name is Gabby (Laki) we lived at 789 Stratford Road at the time. My sister Mary and my brother Peter were also pupils.

We are now retired and living in London. It would be really good to discuss these wonderful days with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Gabby

I attended College Rd Senior School in Sept 1952 until 1955 when the school moved to become Moseley Secondary Modern and left in 1958 having spent 2yrs in 5com (the further education class). There were to 2 further education classes the other being known a 5tech). Miss Cohen started as head in1952. All the teachers at the time of the move, moved with the pupils to MMS. I liked Miss Cohen, though she could be a bit scary and tough she was fair. I remember a lot of the teachers - Mr Higgins Deputy Head (the music and school chior) John Lockwood (English) Keith Burns (Domestic Science) who soon after I left married John Lockwood). John Venables (Science and PE) and for the record I married his younger brother. I was Brenda Douglas at school.
Mrs O'Connor was the 5com (commercial) teacher and also my 3rd yr teacher. Mr Farmer, Mr Checketts, Miss Grove, Mr Love (maths) Mrs Shuttleworth (school secretary). Mr Scott (PE) Mrs Briscow Mr Tom Hughes (woodwork and metalwork) Mr Fryer (Art)

How interesting Brenda and thank you for sharing.

I attended Moseley Secondary from September 1957 to July 1963 and some of the staff names you mention do stir memories.

My first class was 1GCE with teacher Mr Higgins (English) - never knew his first name, followed by 2GCE - Peter Holloway (Geography), 3GCE a French teacher who’s name was Mrs Hodges.- for some reason we used to call her ‘Nora’; 4 GCE was John Venables (Science) and finally, 5GCE John Hutchinson (History). Looking back, I now consider myself lucky to a degree as I quite liked all of those aforementioned while several others used the mantra of ‘teach by fear’.

Not sure you are right about ‘Keith Burns’ marrying John Lockwood ! who I understand died some years ago after falling from his house roof. He was a decent chap albeit his sport of throwing wooden blackboard rubbers at pupils if causing disruption. That said, Tom Hughes (Metalwork/Woodwork) used to throw chisels at offenders and Eileen Cohen would clout you over the head with a pile of books if you were noisy in the corridors. All would be locked-up today but although I received the cane and pump on the backside a number of times, I survived and it did me no lasting harm.

I well remember the names you listed but one missing was a Mr ‘Chimp’ Williams (Maths) who, with me not ever being fond of the Science subjects, terrified me. I remember one lesson when he lectured us for probably 15mins on how to make a pot of tea!
I fear, given all our advancing ages, many or most of those staff mentioned are no longer with us but, certainly in my case, students were hopefully put on the right track in pursuit of their future lives and careers.

Hopefully, your post will generate similar memories resulting in further posts.

Regards,

Malcolm (Sperring-Toy).

(I never used or confessed to the ‘Sperring’ part of my surname at school which dates back to 1903 when my paternal grandfather Joseph Arthur Toy married a Maud Elizabeth Sperring, the youngest of three girls and, as was common in Victorian and Edwardian days, they linked the names)

Last edited:
Back