• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Road Weslayan Church

karro

master brummie
I would like any information about the above church.
From an obituary that was forwarded to me, I was told that the Weslayan church opened in 1872. William Burley was one of the original trustees. However I've only been able to find a Moseley Road methodist church which was obiviously built at a much later time. Perhaps the 1960's.
The Weslayan Church was supposed to have been located on Bishop Street opposite Williams lampworks.
Does anyone know anything about the original Weslayan chuch? Was the name changed? Was it demolished or destroyed at some time? Any suggestions?
Thanks Karro

Hi Karro, welcome to the forum, can confirm Williams Ship lantern makers were in Bishop Street, but nothing to indicate a church was in the street. The Moseley Road Methodist Church, you mention would have been there at the time, it was opened c1870, if it's the one I think it is, opposite Moseley Road Baths, but the connection between Wesleyan and Methodist I'm not sure, could it be the one. BTW Bishop Street is about 3/4 mile from Moseley Road.

Colin

Karro

I can only repeat what Colin B has stated, I can find no trace of a WesleyanChurch in Bishop St.

There was one on Moseley Rd in the early 1900’s located at 301-306 Moseley Rd. This puts on the frontage of Highgate Square (see map), and this location was on the edge of Balsall Heath in an area we now call Highgate. You will locate Highgate Square towards the centre of the map adjacent to the crossroads.

The only further information I can give you is that it was gone by 1946 and Moseley Rd Fire Station had taken its place.

Sorry I can’t be of further help, but I will keep looking.

Pmc1947

Best I can do for you.:)

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Methodist Church  Moseley Rd - Lime Grove..jpg
    Balsall Heath Methodist Church Moseley Rd - Lime Grove..jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The former Moseley Road Methodist Church closed down in 2011. Was later used as Muslim Student housing from 2012, but think it's been sold again.

One of the foundation stones laid in 1949.

The below is from the Friends of Moseley Road Baths.

Moseley Road Methodist Church closes its doors

We’re very sad to hear that Moseley Road Methodist Church, opposite the Baths, will be closing its doors for good this weekend on the 15th May.

The Church was built after the previous Methodist Church on the site was destroyed in bombing raids in 1940. There has been a Methodist Church on the site since 1872. The Friends of Moseley Road Baths have used rooms within the building, as well as the Church Hall, to stage numerous events, including our Centenary Teadance, several Memories and Memorabilia Day events as well as regular committee and planning meetings.

However, for some years closure has been on the cards, and it is clear that the building needs investment. We don’t know why the closure is happening now, or indeed what the plans are for the congregation or the site. Let’s hope that positive things arise from this.

Back