• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Morris Joseph & Emily

margaret.1966

Brummie babby
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me if there was or is a Dudley RD, Northfield. Worcestershire.
My great granddads war record says his mother lived 150 Dudley RD, Northfield. Worcester.
I know the boundaries have changed since he joined the army in 1915.
Could this address have been the workhouse in Northfield.
The ancestry site shows no result for him he before the 1911 census he was born 1888 Bilston, Staffordshire. I'm a Lancashire lass doing my family tree, but my parents where born in Northumberland please help I'm stuck

Hi Margaret.

I've never heard of a Dudley rd in Northfield, but there is a Northfield rd in Dudley.

I don't think any part of Dudley road was ever in Northfield. If that part of the road had been outside Birmingham at any time it would have been part of Harborne, which came under Staffordshire. But people sometimes were not too bothered about these things, and it could have been just wrong. The position of no 150 Dudley road is given in the c 1904 map below, just to the west of where the dudley road crosses the canal and the railway. It is not the workhouse. From google maps it seems that the three houses next door are standing, but 150 is now part of a new block. I have marked nos on photo.

showing_position_of_150_dudley_road_in_2012.jpg

map_c_1904_showing_150_dudley_road.jpg

Thanks Phil for that, was Northfield RD near the workhouse? I'm lost to where I go from here the family tree is proving some what a great pain in the neck

thanks Mikejee for that, maybe I will have to come to Birmingham library and search records for the workhouse and other places what a pain the neck this is

hi margaret before you visit the library can i advise you phone them up first with regards to the birmingham workhouse records...i asked them if i could look at the records a couple of years back and was told they had been destroyed but please phone them up just to confirm what i was told just in case i was give the wrong info..
all the best

lyn

Thanks Lyn. I will ring them tomorrow thanks once again

happy to help margaret i would hate you to have a wasted journey...i wonder if you could let me know if the info i was given is correct in that the library do not have the records from western road workhouse please...if it does turn out that they do i shall be up there sharpish...

thank you

lyn

Sorting family trees seems a lot of hard work with occasional dead ends and dissapointments, must admire your tenacity. Eric

Thank you Eric,
I am so frustrated over my great granddad. I know his married lines says he from Bilston, Staffordshire in 1888 had a son my granddad. Joseph died in world war1, so this really hard going, I know his mam was Emily. I've been up to Northumberland tracing other family members they are easy to trace back, done pretty well got back to the 1750s and found their graves not bad for 3 months work over 300 family members and still adding to my family tree
margaret

The sites like Ancestry are adding records all the time so another search in the future might reveal some info. If you put a surname with Joseph then people on this site might spot something for you.

Just keep trying - it took me months and months to find my Gran's parents.

Janice

Hi Janice I'm already on ancestry site the records show a few Joseph Morris but, not a Emily Morris his mam been on find my past, family search and freebmd records and still nothing. It makes it harder as they must have moved.
Margaret

Back