• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Modern Canalside Buildings

Heartland

master brummie
Much has happened to the canal side in the West Midland where developers have made many changes to what can be seen from a boat or walking along the towpath.

It is a matter of interpretation what is appealing and what is not, but it would be of interest to see what is considered good and what is considered bad.

Faraday Wharf, beside the Digbeth Branch, for example, how would this development be classed?

633481.jpg

Much has happened to the canal side in the West Midland where developers have made many changes to what can be seen from a boat or walking along the towpath.

It is a matter of interpretation what is appealing and what is not, but it would be of interest to see what is considered good and what is considered bad.

Faraday Wharf, beside the Digbeth Branch, for example, how would this development be classed?

View attachment 183734
In two words, Ugly, unimaginative!

Well it is lying, as it is not a wharf, Otherwise, uninspiring, but not as bad as some

“Faraday Wharf is part of the thriving Innovation Birmingham campus which is home to a vibrant community of over 150 digital tech start-ups, scale ups and large corporations.”

Faraday Wharf was architect designed by AJA Architects of Coventry. But another architect AHR built an extension 450m2 of working space including a creative studio and more office space. So what we see is a combination of two projects. I'm afraid that the rear of the building looks worse, though drivers will see they have arrived at the right car park!

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 16.40.12.jpeg

The back ( other than the awful lettering) looks a bit like a temporary building erected after bombing. Is the firm concerned perhaps an offshoot of Lgo?

I knew Digbeth Branch Canal extremely well pre-COVID. I took parties of students there to study the natural world and the built environment. The modern building in question has had some landscaping and I think the public have no access to Faraday Wharf canal side. I know that safety for the public on the towpath is a priority as there has been anti-social behaviour in the past. I should revisit old haunts and take some photos. HS2 will change this area too.

Perhaps, the Glasswater development might be another point of comment as this intends to fill the canal side north of Belmont Row.

Perhaps, the Glasswater development might be another point of comment as this intends to fill the canal side north of Belmont Row.
It looks from the projections that it might resemble Brindleyplace? I think it is still a building site though? At least the canals won't be in tunnels but will be a feature of the townscape. A massive development of expensive apartments.

This is the plan for the Old Typhoo building area, BBC intend to site their studios there. This will include a small arm of the Digbeth Branch Canal

This is the plan for the Old Typhoo building area, BBC intend to site their studios there. This will include a small arm of the Digbeth Branch Canal

Thanks Janet.
Echos of old Bham in the phrasing: 'The proposed alleys and courtyards will look to improve permeability and pedestrian connectivity across the site, linking to the proposed New Canal street tramway and HS2 Curzon Street station, canal towpaths and local cycle route network. The sustainable urban drainage strategy will form habitat rich rain gardens within these hard landscaped areas, thus reducing flood risk as well as bringing people closer to nature.' Derek

Last edited:

So pleased to see that some excellent thought has been given to that site. Retaining the past while building the future! Hopefully more of that will be done instead of just destroying the past for a usually not too pleasant future!

So pleased to see that some excellent thought has been given to that site. Retaining the past while building the future! Hopefully more of that will be done instead of just destroying the past for a usually not too pleasant future!
Yes, this looks promising Richard. Not long ago it looked as if the BBC would pull out of Birmingham altogether. A sidenote currently there isn't access to Typhoo Basin except by boat as there's no towpath. But you could see into the basin. Derek

It would seem that only part of the Typhoo site is part of the plans for redevelopment. it comprises the original Sumner property and not the section which was built as a Fellows Morton & Clayton carrying depot (on the right-hand side). The canal depot was taken over by Sumner's who used the land for extensions but kept the dock for the tea delivery by canal boat. Fellows, Morton & Clayton built their art deco warehouse in Fazeley Street, as a replacement.

The site development is presently shown as-

Typhoo Basin Development.jpg

Back