• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mills Of Birmingham

An impressive list. Arranged by individusl rivers/streams, on the way down the same might be a help. Town/Lloyds/Astericks Mill dates back before the time you state. Around in 1500s.
There is no mention of Heath/Coopers Mill...or did I miss it. If you go to the thread on 'Heathmill Lane' you will find much that might be of interest. The owners house dating from 1535 or so is still there on Fazely Street (somwhat changed) but the small mill house, just below it dissapeared in times of change...possibly when the canals were built. The old mill leat still remains though and it is now the run of the river Rea itself. Closest Mill to be seen in Brum?
Too much work to comment on all but have just been looking at the above.

Boulton and Watt manufactoy where J Watt developed the steam engine..jpg
A picture of the Boulton and Watt manufactory where J. Watt developed the steam engine.

My be this should be under the Sutton Park Topic but it is about a Mill. So here it is.
Water Power was the reason for the creation of Longmore Pool by a Mr John Gibbons, John Riland ( Rector of Sutton) and William Rawlins in th18th century.The mill (shown in my post date unknown) powered by the pool made buttons at first and was later used as a flour mill. The dam at Longmore Pool burst in July1923 and the resulting flood caused much damage in the town of Sutton Coldfield.

Bill Dargue suggests that it was first a corn mill, and later turned to buttons.

Not actually Birmingham, but including some close by, the Mills Archive has recently added a large amount of photographs of Staffordshire Mills, including Forge mill in Sandwell ; Bustlerholme in West Bromwich , and others at Fazeley, Aldridge, Kinver and many other places (1011 items in all) at

Thanks all.

I think I can actually remember it....I was born in 1956 and we used to be taken on long walks around the area by our mom....I would, however, consider the "Yardley Wood" description as a bit of a stretch...but I can see why.

Cheers.

Oh for a pint in the Valley. Or the Bagnell. Or the Warstock. Or the Haven.

S23.

I am sure you know that they don't exist any more.
Haven has a nursing home on the site. Valley has flats
Bagnall has a McDonald's
Not sure about the Warstock but think it is flats.

I am sure you know that they don't exist any more.
Haven has a nursing home on the site. Valley has flats
Bagnall has a McDonald's
Not sure about the Warstock but think it is flats.
That was the point.......none of them are there any more.....

Windmills of Birmingham and the Black Country by McKenna, Joseph.

“Cooper's mill was situated in Heath Mill Lane, Deritend. It is shown on Samuel and Nathaniel Buck's South-West
Prospect of Birmingham, published in 1731. The Cooper family also worked the nearby water mill, shown on William Westley's East Prospect of Birmingham. In a view of 1779, Cooper's windmill is shown as a smock mill a point confirmed in Thomas Dixon's view of 1826, where the mill is shown with common sails.
Development of the area about this time ensured the mill's demise. It’s last miller was Thomas Whitmore, who held Cooper's mill from 1825 to 1836.

Reproducing the picture posted by Dennis in Post 432 …Samuel Lines, from dome of St Philips.

Spot the Windmill.

3885442A-DE6A-44E9-8985-E963B35996BD.jpeg

“Birmingham Heath Mill was built on the common land to the north of the town. There by 1814, the windmill is shown in a painting by Samuel Lines as a squat, white-painted structure, in his view from St. Philip's cupola. It lay some distance back from the Dudley Road, approached by a fordrough, opposite to where Heath Street North now is. Joseph Flecknoe was recorded as miller in 1830. A smock-mill, it ended its working life in 1849 when the land was secured by the Guardians of the Poor for the erection of a new Workhouse.”

Windmills of Birmingham and the Black Country, by McKenna, Joseph.​

Also from the above book, Hutton’s Mill…

“East now to the Birchfield Road. On the edge of the Aston Hall Estate, was Hutton's mill, built in 1759 for the Birmingham historian William Hutton. He used it in an unsuccessful attempt to produce paper cheaply. Cheated by his work-men, or so he believed, he resolved on 30th June 1761 that he was determined to make no morepaper at the mill but dispose of It if he could, if not convert it to another use. He eventually sold it to Rebecca Honeyborn in 1763.

A bottle-kiln shaped tower mill, it was eventually converted into dwelling houses and became known as Birchfield Round House. Hutton's windmill was demolished at the end of the 19th Century. Further along the Birchfield Road, just off the present Livingstone Road, was Bristnalls End mill. The mill had disappeared by the time Samuel Botham undertook his survey, but he recorded field number BJ320 as Windmill Piece'. This field and its neighbour, Berry's Croft, were offered for sale in 1813.

Bleak Hills Mill…

Bleak Hills mill was situated just east of Witton Upper Pools. It was built sometime after 1760, as it is not shown on the Erdington Estate map of that year. Certainly it was in operation by 1814, and in 1830 being worked by a Miller called Oldacre. Elizabeth Oldacre, possible his widow, was in possession in 1834, though the mill was owned by the Handworth landowner Wyrley Birch. The mill had ceased operation by the end of the 19th Century.”

Slade Mill, situated midway between Slade Road and Witton Lower Pools. It probably dated from the Medieval period. Slade Mill is not shown on any of the early 18th Century maps of the district, but is perpetuated on Fowler's map of Aston Parish, in “Windmill Hill.”

Maney Hill Mill.

Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham's newest suburb, borders onto the old parish of Aston. The oldest recorded of Birmingham's windmills was situated here at Maney Hill. The mill is referred to in a document of 1309, wherein it is recited that, none of these customary tenants used to grind his corn but at the lord's water-mill, so long as the mill was in repair for grinding, unless they first paid the whole of the corn to the lord's miller, upon pain of forfeiture of the whole corn; excepting the tenants of Maney, Windley and Wigula, who ground at the lord's windmill at Maney."

Probably the first of several windmills on this site, one of the four pier stones on which one of the later mills rested was discovered in the early 1850s: a large stone was turned out of a hedge-row on the hill; it measured about five feet in length and two feet in width and thickness and was of a fine grained, hard, dark, substance, apparently limestone or trap; but it was unfortunately broken up for the roads before its nature could be ascertained.

Windmills of Birmingham and the Black Country by McKenna, Joseph.​

Back