• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Millingtons

T

Tony Hartley

Anyone know of any Millingtons from Nechells or Aston. 1800 - Present time. (family history)

hello tony,my former boss at a steel stockholders in b,ham was a Sam Millington,
he was from the Aston area he first joined the company in prichett st newtown area,
of brum then to Arley rd saltley,where i knew him.
the next time i met him he was working for a stockholder in granby avenue garret's green South Yardley, hope it helps. it may be something to go on. regards dereklcg

I knew Maurice Millinngton, he lived in Witton, the bit that is on the edge of Aston. His gran kept a shop in Witton Road, in the 1940's/50's

Thanks to all those who responded, but there is no Sam or Samuel in that time band. I need an Albert (c1874) or a Joseph (c1852) or possibly an Emanuel (c1825). Regards Tony Hartley.

sorry you can,t find what you want at the minute Tony,
i had a result with millington name thanks for that.
regards dereklcg.

I worked with a Terry Millington a motor mechanic in around 1952-3, he lived in Handsworth, Rookery Road area if I remember correctly. E.

Hello Tony,
My Great Great Grandfather Emanuel Millington,born C1823 and was married to Rebecca.
On the 1871 census they were living in Miller Street,Aston,with their 7 children including my Great Grandmother Rosina.I hope this is of some help.
Maurice.

19 year old Joseph is with his family(father Emanuel ,1823) in 1871 and here in 1881.

Dwelling: Back Of 75 Brierley St
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341715 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2994 Folio 11 Page 15
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Joseph MILLINGTON M 28 M Redditch, Worcester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Porter Dealer
Betsey MILLINGTON M 25 F Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
Occ: Housewife
Caroline MILLINGTON 5 F Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Albert MILLINGTON 7 M Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Son
Rosina MILLINGTON 3 F Bham, Warwick, England
and here is Emanuel and family
Dwelling: 178 Gt Russell St
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341717 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3000 Folio 37 Page 18
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Emmanuel MILLINGTON M 58 M Studley, Worcester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Button Stamper
Rebecca MILLINGTON M 57 F Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Wife
Rosina MILLINGTON U 18 F Bham, Warwick, England
Occ: Nail Cutter
Caroline MILLINGTON 11 F Bham, Warwick, England

There are 2 extracted entries for Emanuel on IGI

marriage to Rebecca Quinney 3rd Aug 1846 Redditch
and Emanuels father is given as Benjamin Gibb.
on his baptism 25th Dec 1822 Studley just his mothers name Elizabeth Millington,this may have meant that he was illegitimate.

Last edited:
Hi Tony
My Father was born in Aston 1901 Frederick Charles Millington, he married my mother nee Olive Jones on June 26th 1926 at St james church lozells road.His father I think was Frederick Millington and he was from Shropshire (Ford) nr telford.
my parents moved to Warstock in the 30's and then to Northfield about 1936 until he died 1983. Dont know when my grandfather came to birmingham, I believe he was a bricklayer, as was my father.
John Millington

Have you got this information John?
Frederick Millington married Fanny Burgwin,Atcham june 1900 ref 6a 1476

1901,7 Brackley avenue Handsworth(looks like they rented 2 rooms)

Frederick Millington age 19 b. Ford bricklayers labourer
Fanny Millington age 20 wife born Shrewsbury
birth registered of Frederick Charles Millington,Aston ,Sept 1901
ref. 6d 429,this must have been your father as he used the names Frederick Charles
when he married Olive Jones 1926.

1891 Ford village,Atcham,Shrops

William millington age 36 b. Portobello Staffs General labourer
Mary age 33 bCardiston Shrops
children all born Ford
James 11
Frederick 9
Elizabeth Jane 6
Edwin 3

William Millington and Mary Hayman,Atcham Sept 1878.ref 6a 1039

Last edited:
Re Millington Aston.

A case of better late than never someone may still be interested in the family.

Emanuel Millingotn and Rebebecc Quiney were my g. grandparents Sara Ann Millington b1860 married Henry Richard Woollaston there were 4-5 daughters one daughter Florence Rebecca Woollaston b1882 Aston married Edward Lockstone. They had one daughter my mother Florence Lockstone born Aston 1906 They emigrated to the US. Florence returned to Birmingham and married an had 4 children

Marilyn

Does anyone remember Millingtons Green grosers slade road opposite slade road school??? has anyone got any photos of that shop? they where lovely people i think the grey haired man lived on Hillaries road?

Many thanks Ricco,,,,

Hi Marilyn, I don't know if you saw the post i made in 2008.My Gt Gt grandparents were Emanuel Millington and Rebecca Quiney .Their Daughter Rosina married George Green and they were my Gt Grandparents.
This must make us relatives.mossg

Does anyone remember Millingtons Green grosers slade road opposite slade road school??? has anyone got any photos of that shop? they where lovely people i think the grey haired man lived on Hillaries road?

Many thanks Ricco,,,,

I do indeed, he was related to a Peter (I think) Millinton who was at my school (slade Road). His dad was the licensee of the Cross Keys, station Road/Sutton Road Erdington

Hi Di.Poppitt. Your reply back in 2008 mentioned Maurice Millington. I had forgotten that name. Takes me back to my childhood days at Canterbury Rd School I believe. How various entries stimulate long forgotten names and events. It is what makes this site so attractive. Regards. willey

Hi Morturn thank you for the reply, when my mom used to collect me from slade road school i used to go to Millingtons we would do our weekly vegatable shopping there, i remember one man was a big guy with glasses & his wife worked there too?? the other guy was a grey haired thin man lovely people as i remember!! next door to Millingtons was LLoyds electrics do you remember that shop too!!

PS Morturn i have a book on slade road school & it's history photos etc if you would like to borrow it mate,

call - 07825519209,,,

Ricco,,,

Hi mossg Do you know of a lady related to Millingtons married and came to Adelaide they had two teenage daughters. I met the lady in the 80's. My mother kept in touch.Then they moved to Coober Pedy. S.Aust.
Also remember my mother speaking of a Nancy. Did you ever meet Elsie.Alice.Gert.Our favourite was Edie. Were others can't remember there names. Can I send my email
address if so how do I do that. I would love to hear about the family.

I worked with a Terry Millington a motor mechanic in around 1952-3, he lived in Handsworth, Rookery Road area if I remember correctly. E.

Hello Eric,

Just noticed your post re: Terry Millington (motor mechanic), he & my Dad (Mac) were good friends for many years & they often used to meet up in later years for a beer & a catch up on the old days. Terry last lived in Upton Snodsbury Worcestershire.

Lozellian.

Back