• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Millington family - Ladywood

PeteMillington

proper brummie kid
Millingtons arrived in Birmingham in early 1800s from Wellington in Shropshire. Initially a couple of brothers named James and William (my g-g-g-grandfather). Between them they had many off-spring so there may be plenty of Brummie Millingtons connected back to these guys. My branch eventually made it from Lee Bank (Cregoe Street, Thorpe Street) all the way to Ladywood (Garbett Street & Monument Road), I have a lot of information to share with others if you think we may be related.

hi pete
i am from ladywood i lived in king edwards rd and had a hell of old friends especialy from down the botom end
we have members already whom may have known your lot personaly
reggie cook may know your lot personally as is family go back years down garbet st
there is a good chance he may be able to tell you more may be able to tell you more
i can recall the millintons family from monument rd
but also i just want to say to you have you been on the old ladywood site forum yet
as i seem to recall a photograph of the millintons on that site
which may intrest you they are from ladywood
i went through that sight and beleive me i knew virtualy every bodyand seen my very old school pals
i was not aware of this sight until i met a young brother whom i had not seen for years at my brothers funneral
and he told me of this site he said have a look on it i think you will know most people on it and as sure god made apples i did
but there is a couple [ husband and wife ] whom are millinton ] on there its well worth a look
also i think it was a millington whom ran a paper shop in cope street
best wishes astonian ;;

Thanks for the reply, I have been onto Mac's Ladywood site in the past as has my dad Geoffrey Millington. There were also Millingtons in Lee Bank related to us. Thanks again, I will go and have another look on the Ladywood website.

Hi Peter,
I don't know if this is of interest,it's a headstone in St Georges churchyard in Hockley.
I know this area used to come under the parliamentary constituency of Ladywood.Moss.

Hello there Peter

I haved a Sarah Millington b 1869 who married a Joseph (James) Henry Palfreman, Railway Fireman and Engine Driver, December Q 1899 Birmingham. They had Joseph, William and Charley. It was Charley who married my G Aunt.

The family was in Stour Street and Garbut Street Laydywood. Other parts of the family in Cregroe Street.

Your family as well?

Many years ago I knew a Paul Millington in South Africa. I worked with him at a civil engineer's, then lost touch, and saw him again years later managing a hotel in Port Elizabeth. He was from Birmingham and he told me that his dad had a shop. Any relation?

Hi Charlie,yes the churchyard is still there but no longer a church.It is on Great Hampton Row,Newtown.
Moss.

Thanks Moss, might go down and take a look. I had a lot of rellies in the area and can't find out where they're buried. Even if they're not there, it looks really interesting. Which part of Great Hampton Row is it....any landmarks I can work from? No sense of direction me!
PS: Peter: My great aunt Eliza Poolton married Harry Millington in 1908

Last edited:
Charlie,Gt Hampton Row is not very long now.Find The Little Brown Jug pub and the Graveyard is on the opposite side of the road,some 50 yards away.
Moss.

HI Charlie
the millingtons family lived in cope st,which is on the same block of stour st
there shop was next to a pub it was a litle news agents and if i remember correctly the mother was always in a wheel chair behind the counter and they had a little kid of a son
a little fat kid. whom name was charlie and if i remember correctly he had ginger hair
and he went to steward st which was at the botom of stour st
the schol entrance was in sping hill passage way next to prices factory where they made cutlery
i lived at the top of the st which forms cope st, stour st and spring hill passage
its called king edwards rd
but any way charlie millington starred in a local film created by a film makers whom came to the school
in the very early 1950s
along with wally watkings and billy cope and i think it was the mousdales
whom lived in the treble nick nack alleyways between cope st stour st and springfield st
wally and billy cope lived yards from each other and charlie lived around the corner in cope st at the news
agents the film was a remake of a film made in the thirtys in london called the dead end kids
the poor kids of the east end of london
i cannot recall the film name they made ,because if i did i would try and get a copy of it
there was about fifteen kids from around the block that portraded in it
it was played on the bbc one evening after they made it oh and the other kid, i think played oppersite him
was litle alan coughman, he was a very little black haired kid with a rough grammour
he also lived on the corner by charli millinton by the shop
charie went to steward st junior school the last time i seen charlie in ladywood was around 1958
and by the way another old friend was albert mousdale whom lived down the alleys
and my best mate was tony memory whom also lived in stour st but he got killed in watery lane
on his motor bike taking his girl freind home on the back of his motor bike
way back in 1959 at the cross rd by the pub .
best wishes Astonian ;;;;

Thanks Moss, I'll go and take a look next week - and thanks Astonian for all that info. My family never moved more than a few streets away from Stour Street, Pope Street, Camden Drive area...from 1861 to 1940!

What a great thread and like Charlie I would love to see these old headstones from St Georges. I to had no idea they were there.

Wouldn't it be great if we could find the film Astonian referred to, now there's a challenge!

Hi charlie
if you can one of our experts to put an old street guide on
you will see that they are all less than than a quarter mile apart
camden drive is across the main rd across from spring hill passage which holds the old steward st school
where he would have gone and come out the gate less than one hundred yards is stour street
walk down stour street and you come to cope street about one hundred and fifty yards you would be at the
shop virtuly on the corner of springfield st and thats where they lived and had the shop
walk another hundred yards up the hill cross the main st and you are on shakespear rd .
thats was our dear old friend mossy,s country where he lived where i dare not sat he had
the rod stewart hair style and was a very close friend of a friend
walk down past his house at the bottom you had garbett st
and that was about another one hundred and fifty yards
so you can see just how close they was and never really moved far until the ladywood slum clearance came around have a nice day , best wishes Astonian ;;

I thought I would post this memorial inscription on this thread in case it's of interest.
Key Hill Cemetery
Section R grave 771. In loving memory of Harold H. Millington fell asleep August 22nd 1925 aged 8 years. "The Lord Is My Sheppard" (side). Also Emma Callow who died March 24th 1945 aged 90.

Thanks for that Wendy, I'm off to dig out the family records - maybe this was Harry and (my great aunt) Eliza's son.

During the '50's there was a MILLINGTON'S green grocers on Slade Road, Erdington.
They had their lorry serviced at Slade Road Garage where I worked.

Billy Millington and his wife Grace had pubs and one being on the Pineapple Estate just off Kings Norton Green. He also had a lot to do with boxing.

Billy Millington was part of our Dads family. I believe he was the son of Dads Gt Uncle. He kept pubs and held boxing matches around Birmingham. I do have some more info on him if anyone is interested let me know and I will dig it out.
Amanda

When I was with my ex we often visited Bill and Grace- in fact Grace had the exact copy done of one of my rings (ex was a jeweller). We had some great times listening to his tales about boxing and him and his pals drinking the plane dry on the way to see Cassius Clay fight in USA. I think the relationship came through my ex father in law Dicky Williams.

HI CAROLINA
Yes he did have an intrest and connectionions to the boxing world of brum along with watty green the longstale belt winner
and lived yards from them and old watty had a bookie shop just yards from his pub in spring hil ladywood
and along with old johny prescott from nechells john used to train up stairs at the tree,s pub up the stairs
but years later moved up to millimgtons pub upstairs where he done his training in the latter part of his fighting life
and when he retired he openend up betting shops around aston ; then he went into the british stel stock holding bussiness
and had premises along the victoria rd and was great friends of the broad hurst family whom was also from aston
whom started the scrap yard bussiness and made a hell lot of money
and went into the steel stock holding bussiness down newtown row and moved to rocky lane aston cross years later
and became known as eureopean steel stockist in rocky lane
young charlie millington whom then was a little kid and went to steward st school apeared in a local filmabout a gang of kids whom
was living in rough conditions and in a poor society at the time was the leading roll in the film
charlie millintom and i think it was grace ran the local news agents in cope street young charlie had ginger hair at that time
alan cougman ws second lead in the film and it was about a gang of kids whom found themselves finding god and the church
and they changed there ways in life and it was alan whom became a choir boy ;[ only in the film thou ] not in real life may i add .
young charlie millington was great friends with the mosedales . [ albert ] whom his grand father was the chiefe fire officier of birmingham; many years ago
i am in touch with young albert myself as we are old friends and my wife is a very good opld friend of his wife whom was the excatly was a school friend
to his wife as well ;which goes to say its a very small world indeed
i met a old lady the other name as i have previously mention on the rat pan thread and discussed it with her and she used to go out
with the one broadhurst whom also was a boxer in brum ; whom also trained up at millingtn pub on spring hill
the college arms on the corner of college rd and dudley rd spring hill ; best wishes astonian

Hi Astonian, thanks for the info. I do remember Billy telling us about Johnny Prescott. There was someone else but I cant remember the name where Billy was cooking dog meat on the stove and whoever it was came in and had a bowl as he thought it was stew.

I also remember not personally but names of Broadhurst and I think one was Jean?? They eventually lived Barnt Green

HI CAROLINA
Yes you are quite right it was jean; and i was only speaking to one last week
i will try and recall whom was eating the meat from the bowl ;
enjoy your day even thou its abit wet out there ; best wishes astonian

I have just been in touch with my ex. Billy was indeed my ex father in law's cousin. Hence, his parents were Sarah and I think Jabus Williams (buried in Key Hill). Sarah therefore must have been Sarah Ann Millington?? It is this lady that my own daughter is named after. Richard (Dick) Williams had 3 sons and said whoever had a grand-daughter would they name her after his mother - which we did. He also had a sisted called Sarah (Sally). The name of the pub that Billy Millington had in the 70s was called The Primrose on the Primrose Estate.

hi carolina ;
i remember them well at the primrose and if i a trly correct they came on the Dublin trip with us there was about thirty of us
all managers and some directors o go and see how the irish pubs was ran ;and to see if we could learn any think from them ;
i do have a large group picture tooked away some where in the loft ;i will try and find it outif i can and i will try and get my son to down load it ;
there was a coupl of gathers from kings norton came as well ; wheni find it i will get my neibour next to me to try and pick them out
as graham used to run the weoly castle pub there years ago and he came as well may be he can spot them quicker than me as my eyes aint all that good now;
carolina ; its a very small world you now ; best wishes astonian ;

Astonian, it is indeed a small world (I know we are off thread a bit) My in laws moved from Swinford Road to OAP bungalows right opposite Castle Pub and that then became their local.

Back