• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Michael Gambon.

Dumbledore in Harry Potter after the death of Richard Harris and Robert Altman's film Gosford Park. A fine stage actor notably in Lear and Beckett. He didn't attend drama school, but enjoyed amateur drama before his professional debut in Dublin's The Gate. He served an engineering apprenticeship and apparently made replica antique guns when he wasn't working.

Because it doesn’t accord with what can be shown on BBC TV these days. And there is little drama. Repeat fees are an issue with ‘classic’ work. Dennis Potter fell out with the BBC I understand. Times change and so do audience expectations. Sometimes this is a good thing I don’t regret the absence of Benny Hill!

I would have thought that, as he has just died , they might reshow the series. This sort of thing seems to happen quite often. As he is no longer alive he could not object, even if he fell out with them.

I would have thought that, as he has just died , they might reshow the series. This sort of thing seems to happen quite often. As he is no longer alive he could not object, even if he fell out with them.
Agreed, perhaps BBC 4 (the best BBC channel by a distance imo) will show something in the coming days/weeks.

Michael Gambon in Othello at the Birmingham Rep in 1968 and on Top Gear in 2002 (which led to a corner on their test track being named "Gambon Corner") RIP Sir Michael:

1695989190353.png 1695989627709.png

The Singing Detective is one of the most remarkable things I’ve ever seen on television, and Michael Gambon‘s moving portrayal of the very complex Philip is unforgettable.

Back