• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Me Dads old sayings

Not heard that one John. A word often used which I never hear today - calling a girl a 'wench'. Strange to think that these words will just die out I suppose.
Comes from middle English for young girl. Gained perjorative connotations which thankfully pushed it to the edges of current usage. To my ears, it just sounds horrible in the way it jumps out of the mouth. Girls deserve gentle flowing words.
Andrew.

Comes from middle English for young girl. Gained perjorative connotations which thankfully pushed it to the edges of current usage. To my ears, it just sounds horrible in the way it jumps out of the mouth. Girls deserve gentle flowing words.
Andrew.

I never objected to it when my Gran said 'You're a good Wench! ' but I like the sentiment beind your thinking Andrew!

Another saying dad said when frustrated about something was a bit odd, he would say, "I'll go to the foot of our stairs, and pick roses"? used to make me laugh thou!!

I remember that saying Gerry, we had a grove near us in Hasbury Road where a infamous family lived , and their boys would always shout that when calling for my friends!!

Where`ve yow been? There & back to see how far it was. Yow found it before it was lost. And one from the army days, Sgt. to recruit, Am i hurting you son? No Sgt. Well i should be cos i`m standing on your bleedin hair, get it cut.

No one who served in the 60's would, not know those names, "Black Alec" was a legend, I started in boy service with another icon, "Perry Mason", and of course "John Blood, Joe Grindley"

Who remembers being told "Goo On...Get Down Your Own End". We had a really nasty bloke, who hated us, because we were from the bottom part of Calshot Road, and he would always shout this at us.
depending on when you lived in calshot gerry our paths may have crossed...i lived in cramlington road

lyn

Rackhams had a policy that any stock not sold after their January sales was put into a big room and all the staff were allowed to go in and choose one item for free. It would be by seniority - so the head staff and department heads would have "first dibs" - It led to some staff getting items that would normally be well out of their price range and social standing - shop girls with fur coats and porters with grand pianos ...

OMG - imagine having first dibs on a Grand Piano!! I'd have changed career just for that! Still waiting ... maybe one day, lol.

Back