• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

McGURLEYS in gooch st & VAUGHTON ST

christy

master brummie
HI,GUYS, Mcgurleys had there shop in gooch st in the 60,s, then moved to VAUGHTON ST, facing ST,MARTINS FLATS, in highgate. late 60s & 70s,. do you remember the family, they had 3,shops.. there son was called ROGER, McGURLEY, he was a tall chap,.. he later ran the CARPENTERS,ARMS,[bag of nails].PUB... i was told he moved up to maypole -hollywood way. to run another pub,..in the 80,s.. he had old 16mm film of highgate in the 70,s..if you know of him please give us a buzz,..all the best,...christy.

Hi christy, McGauleys as you say had several shops one of which i think, was on Warwick or Stratford Rd they sold toys as well as bikes and pre WW2 my Brother (RIP) was going out with one of the assistants but as you can see i can`t ask him about it. Len.

Last edited:
HI,GUYS, Mcgurleys had there shop in gooch st in the 60,s, then moved to VAUGHTON ST, facing ST,MARTINS FLATS, in highgate. late 60s & 70s,. do you remember the family, they had 3,shops.. there son was called ROGER, McGURLEY, he was a tall chap,.. he later ran the CARPENTERS,ARMS,[bag of nails].PUB... i was told he moved up to maypole -hollywood way. to run another pub,..in the 80,s.. he had old 16mm film of highgate in the 70,s..if you know of him please give us a buzz,..all the best,...christy.
Hi Christy. McGauleys had a shop in McDonald St during the 50s I remember seeing Roger and his sister Jill coming home from School, they were in uniform but what school they went to I did not know, also I understand that Roger died some time ago. Malta.

lencops & malta,thanks for the info,that is bad news about roger Mcgauley, & your your film malta, i will take a trip back down to highgate, to speak to a girl who worked for the family,she told me roger had 2,children, i may try & find them if poss. or just give up of finding this film,...thanks guys for your help,...cheers,...christy

Hi Christy

If I've got the correct Roger McGauley (born 1935 in Brum), he and his wife Audrey were still listed on the 2006 electoral roll so, if he has passed on, it must have been recent.

I've pm'd you their contact details and also of his daughter Kim.

There was a McGauleys bike and Toy shop on Alum Rock Road.
Bought my son his first Christmas present from there in 1963.

We bought our first nipper's carriage pram from that shop, Alberta. There was also a McGauley's shop on Coventry Road, almost opposite the junction with Cattell Road. Bought the kids' bikes from there.

well,guys, a big thank you to icarus, i have spoken to roger this morning , he was so chuffed to talk about old times, he remembers everyone from highgate, all the names, so i have left my details so we can met up, he talked alot of nelly shannon, i will pm you malta,ok,...thank you all for your great help,..cheers,icarus....regards...christy

Back