• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mason College University of Birmingham Edmund Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know what this building once was? Was it part of the old Victorian library? If so shall move it to the appropriate thread. Viv

image.jpeg

Hi Lady P - no I couldn't quite work that out too. It also looks like a main entrance, but I think the library main entrance didn't face this direction. Viv.

Whatever/wherever another beautiful building destroyed !!!!! Could have been the old college adjacent to the old Library ? Looking at the Hall of Memory and Baskerville House (both still here thank goodness ! ) in the background it is roughly in the right area . Eric

ive seen that before viv in fact i think i may have posted it...why have i got moor st in my head because that does not look right..maybe it was a similar photo i am thinking of because that looks like the entrance to a church but i dont think thats right either...yet another mystery to solve lol..will get me thinking cap on

Long shot - could it be the former Paradise Street premises of the Midland Institute? Demolished some time in the 1960's I believe. The view through the arch of Baskerville House (?) kind of suggests that location.

G

All good suggestions. Be helpful if we could find an image of the whole building.

Just noticed what I think is one of those escape tunnels to the left of the arch. Well I think it is, seem to have a vague memory of discussing these tunnels on another thread. Viv.

Here is a map c1955. To me it can't be the library, as the angle of the road is wrong. Looking at the Hall of memory and Baskerville House on a printout, I think it must be the building marked Univ. Birmingham Extra Mural Dept on Edmund st

map c 1955 area around toen hall with line of site.jpg

Definitely think it's Edmund Street and although it isn't the old Norwich Union building the arches are the same shape.

Thanks Frothy, that's great. Your photo doesn't show the 'escape tunnel'. Maybe it was put there in WW2. Lyn I think the tunnel on the map looks a bit too far away, although that doesn't mean there's no connection.

Shall check if we have a Mason's College thread and move posts to there. Or shall set one up if not.

Thanks all. Viv

Spot on Lady P thanks. I thought when I first saw the arch it must have been a very large building. Your drawing confirms that, very grand with elaborate decoration. Viv.

Hadn't realised this but the building was once King Edward's High School for Girls. Postcard dated 1904. Viv.

image.jpeg

I understand that this was KE Girls for some eight years while the Hen & Chickens site New St was being developed (1888-1896). It had been the Liberal Club for a couple of years previously and then afterwards became an Insurance office.
I went to Mason college briefly in 1961 by which time it was being used for University extra mural courses and overflow from Matthew Boulton tech

Back