• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MARY GRACE BEADSMORE DUDDESTON

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
here is a post made by our member steve green which i have moved to this section of the forum..

I wondered if anyone remembered anything about the Beadsmores, who were in Sunnyside in the 1900s decade through to the 1st world war. Mary Grace Beadsmore was irish, and was widowed in 1906, but precise details of her past are hard to come by. My grandmother was the oldest daughter, Lily. Thanks

I wondered if anyone remembered anything about the Beadsmores, who were in Sunnyside in the 1900s decade through to the 1st world war. Mary Grace Beadsmore was irish, and was widowed in 1906, but precise details of her past are hard to come by. My grandmother was the oldest daughter, Lily. Thanks

I assume all the details attached to findagrave burial were written by you. And that it is family knowledge that puts Mary Grace's birth in Ireland despite all censuses giving it as Bham

1871 census Tranter Street.
John Grace , age 30, labourer , lodger born Ireland
Susan grace age 30 , born Ireland
Mary grace age 1 born Birmingham

Mary Grace married George Beadsmore in 1891 he died in birmingham 1906

There is a marriage on Ancestry for Mary and George, can't see it to see if any other details match.

And a marriage for a John Grace and a Susan Picket was reg. Bham Dec qtr 1867.

There is also a death registered for a John Grace of about the right age Dec qtr 1873 Bham, which may be a reason Mary doesn't seem to appear as Mary Grace in 1881 or 1891.

Last edited:
Interestingly there is also a marriage for a Susannah Picket to a James Pedley, registered Jun qtr 1879 Bham.

On the 1891 census they are living on Coleman St. Susan's birthplace is listed Ireland but age is wrong but there is a 21 year old daughter, Mary.

Which looks correct because in 1881 living on Lench St are an incorrectly listed James and Susan Pealey with a daughter listed as Mary Grace Pealey.

There is also a sister Ann b1872 and she appears to marry Henry Lewis in 1896, her father is listed as John.

Last edited:
Which looks correct because in 1881 living on Lench St are an incorrectly listed James and Susan Pealey with a daughter listed as Mary Grace Pealey.

There is also a sister Ann b1872 and she appears to marry Henry Lewis in 1896, her father is listed as John.
For the sister I think this is the birth
1670853367879.png
Marriage
1670853396041.png

Seems to prove that Ann was a daughter of John and Susan Grace. Mary probably not totally certain, would have been nice if Mary had been a witness at her sister's wedding.

Why Susan used her maiden name for her second marriage is strange, could have just been a misunderstanding I suppose.

Dear all, Thank you so much for your interest in this. I am really grateful.
I have been off line and not signing in as I work in the NHS and there has been a lot on since early 2020!
This query arises from my paternal line, and our family know that our Mary Grace Breadsmore herself was Irish as she both said so to her grandchildren and also had a pronounced accent!
We have done a family tree on Ancestry for the John Grace/Susan Picket line, and it appeared to be a different family to mine. (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/182389609/family?cfpid=192370720571). However I wil take another and closer look at it.
Mary Grace Breadsmore was widowed with 7 children at the age of 35 had her own children all christened at St Chad's RC church (now cathedral in Birmingham, as quite a few Brummie Irish people seemed to at the time.
I had wondered if Mary Grace, who's date of birth on the 1939 census is given as 01/07/1970, is not in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses as she may perhaps have been on the island of Ireland at the time of these censuses, and of course those Irish records have been destroyed.
The lack of information on the marriage certificate is incredibly frustrating, and it has made me wonder if she either did not know her parentage or if her parents disapproved of her marrying in an Anglican church. I expect we will never know. Her husband George Beadsmore died so very young (of TB) and the Thomas Henry Beadsmore witnessing the marriage was George's younger brother (their father, also called George, died in 1872, and their family history was also complicated). Thomas changed the spelling of the original family surname from Beardsmore to Beardsmore, which has made things even more difficult to track down.
I would be really grateful for any further ideas and feedback. I am also especially keen to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of the Breadsmore family in the Duddeston/Aston area.
Also, my grandfather was a Richard Green (son of Richard Green and Lottie Hutton), who married Lily Beadsmore (Mary Grace's oldest daughter), and I think they lived for a while at "The Gosta Green" pub. I would love to hear any tiny fragment of infrormation anyone might have anout any of these people who lived more than a century ago! BW to all, Steve

Last edited:
hi steve you said you cant find mary grace on the 71.81 or 91 could this be mary grace on the 1871 census aged 1 with parents john and susan both born in ireland...they are lodging with the herrick family also born ireland...all at no 41 tranter street ...the census comes in 2 parts..states mary was born in birmingham but i have found a possible death record says she was born in tipperary ireland and she died in 1946 and is buried at witton cemetery..will wait to hear back from you before going any further

NameMary Beadsmore
Maiden NameGrace
GenderFemale
Birth Date1 Jul 1870
Birth PlaceToomyvara, County Tipperary, Ireland
Death Date1 Feb 1946
Death PlaceMetropolitan Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England
CemeteryWitton Cemetery
Burial or Cremation PlaceWitton, Metropolitan Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England
Has Bio?Y
SpouseGeorge Beadsmore
ChildrenLily GreenThomas Alb

lyn

WARRG10_3107_3110-0191.jpgWARRG10_3107_3110-0192.jpg

Last edited:
I have Found a Mary Beardmore (widowed) with 7 children on the 1911 census living at 5 Sunnyside, Dartmouth Street,Aston. The census also lists them all as British

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Mary Beademore Head Widow Female 40 1871 Housework Birmingham
Lily Beadmore Daughter Single Female 19 1892 Wire worker Birmingham
George Beadmore Son Single Male 17 1894 Bottle washer Birmingham
Charles Henry Beadmore Son - Male 11 1900 School Birmingham
Annie Marie Beadmore Daughter - Female 13 1898 School Birmingham
Beatrice Beadmore Daughter - Female 9 1902 School Birmingham
Tomas Albert Beadmore Son - Male 6 1905 School Birmingham
Florance Mary Beadmore Daughter - Female 5 1906 - Birmingham

hi steve you said you cant find mary grace on the 71.81 or 91 could this be mary grace on the 1871 census aged 1 with parents john and susan both born in ireland...they are lodging with the herrick family also born ireland...all at no 41 tranter street ...the census comes in 2 parts..states mary was born in birmingham but i have found a possible death record says she was born in tipperary ireland and she died in 1946 and is buried at witton cemetery..will wait to hear back from you before going any further

NameMary Beadsmore
Maiden NameGrace
GenderFemale
Birth Date1 Jul 1870
Birth PlaceToomyvara, County Tipperary, Ireland
Death Date1 Feb 1946
Death PlaceMetropolitan Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England
CemeteryWitton Cemetery
Burial or Cremation PlaceWitton, Metropolitan Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England
Has Bio?Y
SpouseGeorge Beadsmore
ChildrenLily GreenThomas Alb

lyn

View attachment 185713View attachment 185714
Same family Alberta found in post 3.

yes it is jan but as steve is still saying he cant find mary grace on the 71 i was wondering if he had not seen albertas post 3

lyn

I have Found a Mary Beardmore (widowed) with 7 children on the 1911 census living at 5 Sunnyside, Dartmouth Street,Aston. The census also lists them all as British

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Mary Beademore Head Widow Female 40 1871 Housework Birmingham
Lily Beadmore Daughter Single Female 19 1892 Wire worker Birmingham
George Beadmore Son Single Male 17 1894 Bottle washer Birmingham
Charles Henry Beadmore Son - Male 11 1900 School Birmingham
Annie Marie Beadmore Daughter - Female 13 1898 School Birmingham
Beatrice Beadmore Daughter - Female 9 1902 School Birmingham
Tomas Albert Beadmore Son - Male 6 1905 School Birmingham
Florance Mary Beadmore Daughter - Female 5 1906 - Birmingham
Chldren reg as mmn Grace so right family but think Steve has this record as he refers to not finding Mary on 1871 (provided by Alberta and Lyn), 1881 and 1891.

Dear all, You have been wonderful and I am very grateful. Your comments helped me to see past some of the errors and typos that make ancestry research such a challenge (such as Pedley vs Pealey!, and Susanna/Susan's switching from Irish to English to back again!). Mary's life story is now more complete, with surname changes from Grace to Pedley to Beadsmore to Thurston and back to Beadsmore, two sisters (Honora and Annie), a dad called John who died so early, a stepfather called James Pedley, and a clear statement in the 1891 census (as Mary Grace Pealey) that she and her mother were born in Queen's County (today's County Laoise) in Ireland (which was not an easy thing to admit to sometimes in those days). Mary was eventually widowed at 35, with 7 children - she never married again, but managed somehow to raise them all, including my grandmother, adulthood - one died at he Battle of the Somme. I have left with the feeling that the poorest people living in the late 19th and and early 20th century Birmingham were certainly admirably tough and resourceful human beings. Once again, thank you all. Steve

hi steve glad we could help a little in putting you back on track with your family research...i do so agree that researching our family history can be challenging...also time consuming but it can also be fun especially when we have a go at it ourselves...

good luck with your journey

lyn

Back