• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Marks & Spencers in the 1930s

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have found a website (https://www.mylearning.org/ ) aimed at teachers and especially concentrating on the yorkshire area with some interesting stuff on it. Not much about birmingham, but does have a picture from the M&S archive of the inside of the Birmingham store in the 1930s. If I had just looked at it without a caption i would have thought it was Woolworths, but as it apparently comes from the M&S archive it must be M&S, though not as we know it now.

Birmingham-1933-interior_M_S_store.jpg

Great picture Mike. It seems very strange to see a shop with lights hanging so low down from the ceiling. I wonder if the doors/windows were in front of the counters as there seems to be a lot of light on the floor just there.

Yes great photo. The older gas lamp in the foreground must have been typical as I remember those in Littlewoods and Woolworths shops even in the 1950s. Viv.

I wonder if the gas lamps were left in place because the electric ones were still unreliable at this time?

I can remember shopping at M&S in Birmingham when they still had stuff on counters with sales assistants standing behind.
No, not gas lamps - I'm not THAT old!

I can remember a lot of gas lamps identical to the one in the picture ina lot of woolworths in the 1950s. I thnk they just couldn't be bothered to remove them till they started tarting the places up in the 60s

its certainly a strange looking contraption alan..maybe a fore runner of todays shop cameras:D

Back