• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mamod

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does any one know if Mamod the model steam engine manufacturers had a workshop in Camden Street?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi Viv

Many thanks for that, I had this vague recollection of going to Camden Street as a small boy; memory is a strange thing, and can and does change.

My elder brother was given a Mamod steam engine, I would say it was the No 2 minor for either a birthday or Christmas.

There was a problem with it, so we took it to the Mamod factory, and waited while they repaired for us, I can remember my mother asking people directions to Camden Street: I would be about 6 years old at the time.

Thanks also for the links, ill have a good look round this site. It is also nice to know that Mamod are still in business, and according to their website welcome visitors: must give that a go.

Hi Morturn. I've had a good look at that website and watched the videos. It's fascinating. Mamods were such wonderful pieces of engineering. Viv.

Mamod is still going strong after over 75 years, now based in Smethwick and rightly boasting that their products are 100% British. I had their smallest steam-engine back in the 1950's and it was fun. Their current range is much more extensive, much better quality, and much more expensive! If the aeromodelling bug hadn't bitten me, I'd have been into live steam.

G

Back