• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

M.MAHER Catholic Bookseller,Publisher & Staioner. 5 CONGREAVE STREET

Hi. I do not live in, or am from, Birmingham. I deal (as a hobby) in Vintage Books and am known as the Vintage Bookman. I have just had come into stock an interesting 1847 Dublin printed Christian Related Book, The History Of Heresis. From the information within it, i can see it was bought in 1847/8 by St Mary's College, Oscott (Catholic Clergy Training School, Still in Existance I think), From M.MAHER, Catholic Bookseller,Publisher & Stationer of 5 Congreave Street Birmingham. The Booksellers Label Still Present & In Very Good Condition. Just Thought A Few People Might Be Interested To Know Who Was On That Site/Location, Over 170 Years Ago. No Doubt Everything is Now Much Changed!!

Best Wishes. The Vintage Bookman.

Michael Maher, catholic bookseller at 5 Congreve St is listed in Pigots 1841 directory, but not in the 1839 Wrightsons directory, though the latter seems to be less comprehensive. He is still there in the 1849 directory, but by 1845 has moved to 108A New St and is by then also a printer and ink manufacturer. The firm later dropped the bookselling and concentrated on the printing business as Maher & Son

July 1862 Birmingham Daily Post reports the death of Michael Maher. In 1863 Michael Maher General Printers, 108 New Street became Maher and Son.

CF6B032A-75E5-4FBF-BA63-02D1221AF35B.jpeg

M. Mayer 5, Congreve St can be stretched back to 1837 when he is selling Black Chemical Ink that would stand the test of time.

In 1852 he was advertising at 108A New St as well as 5 Congreve St.

Back