• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lyndhurst Estate

Find the specific post you want to link to
Right click on the post number (bottom right)
Select 'Copy link address' if using Chrome ... goes to your computer memory
Select 'Copy Shortcut' if using IE ... goes to your computer memory
Select 'Copy link' if using Edge ... goes to your computer memory
Paste it in the post you want to link from.

A quick way to paste is
Position pointer in the target post
Hold down CTRL key and press V

Here is an example link to your post#230 in the 'Harry Lucas school' thread
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/harry-lucas-school.39524/page-12#post-584793
Thanks OldM, works like magic!
Back to business.... Within hours of moving to the Lyndhurst (Jan 1960) my Dad departed to check out the local hostelries, the nearest was the Yenton (An impressive building) but after checking out all within walking distance he chose the Cross Keys (Corner High St (Lady P to confirm) and Station Rd. I vaguely recall The Roebuck in the High St opposite Woolworths being an impressive black and white timbered building, I never went in, I wasn't of age, before it got demolished to build the precinct, which again I think incorporated a modern version of the pub.
Talking about pubs, reminds me of one of my most enduring memories from that time, each Saturday night, after an evening at the Cross Keys my father would procure 3 portions of Telfers steak and kidney pie and chips from the Mermaid Chippy almost opposite the pub, upon his return to our flat the paper would be simply unwrapped and we'd demolish the contents without pausing to get plates, very little was spoken during the feast.
I can now only dream of such a feast, I'm under strict dietry instuctions. Ah Well, that's life!
Peg.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-616702

Last edited:
The Pavillion Cinema, corner Chester Road and Gravelly Lane, was still operating when me and my family moved to the Lyndhurst Estate (Jan '60) and I did go and see 1 or 2 films there, it was an impressive detached building, can't really remember the interior but all large cinemas were like palaces inside and I'm sure that was the case. Then the cinema closed and it became the Pavillion Bowl - a 10 pin bowling alley, where you could get a pretty decent burger. When I first met my wife we visited it a number of times and then of course it was demolished for housing.
The Palace cinema then became the nearest venue to see a film but even that eventually secumbed to the developers bulldozers when the precinct was built, then I suppose the nearest cinema was the Plaza, Stockland Green, a cute little cinema that also soon disappeared.
Then at 18, or so, my thoughts turned to clubbing, it was great to have two hotspots so near, in the High Street: The Carlton Club (opposite the parish church), which became Mother's, and the assembly room behind The Queen's Head at 6-ways Erdington, both venues hosted top bands and were great for me because I could walk home.
Ah! Happy Days!
Peg.
P.S. The Queen's Head had curious ultra-violet lights, which, unfortunately, told everyone if you were using the right shampoo, or not,
the answer was only to wear white! (You could soon see who the regulars were).

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-617633

Last edited by a moderator:
To the casual observer the decision to build an estate of Tower Blocks on the flight path to an airport might seem an odd one, but that was the case with the Lyndhurst, infact I'm pretty sure the block I lived in was actually on the centre line of the runway at Elmdon. Some planes past over at an alrmingly low height you could almost see the passengers fastening their seatbelts ready for landing.
Each flat was equipped with a drying cupboard but my mother preferred to hang her washing on the roof of the tower block on which was a communal drying area. I was pressed into service carrying newly washed laundry and assisting with pegging out.
The roof was enclosed by a safety glass screen of some 7ft in height, the majority of the glass panels were opaque but the odd one was a viewing panel of clear glass.
The views were fantastic and they would have been even more impressive from Harlech Tower, at 16 stories the tallest on the estate and on the top of a hill!
Peg.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-616792

The Pavillion Cinema, corner Chester Road and Gravelly Lane, was still operating when me and my family moved to the Lyndhurst Estate (Jan '60) and I did go and see 1 or 2 films there, it was an impressive detached building, can't really remember the interior but all large cinemas were like palaces inside and I'm sure that was the case. Then the cinema closed and it became the Pavillion Bowl - a 10 pin bowling alley, where you could get a pretty decent burger. When I first met my wife we visited it a number of times and then of course it was demolished for housing.
The Palace cinema then became the nearest venue to see a film but even that eventually secumbed to the developers bulldozers when the precinct was built, then I suppose the nearest cinema was the Plaza, Stockland Green, a cute little cinema that also soon disappeared.
Then at 18, or so, my thoughts turned to clubbing, it was great to have two hotspots so near, in the High Street: The Carlton Club (opposite the parish church), which became Mother's, and the assembly room behind The Queen's Head at 6-ways Erdington, both venues hosted top bands and were great for me because I could walk home.
Ah! Happy Days!
Peg.
P.S. The Queen's Head had curious ultra-violet lights, which, unfortunately, told everyone if you were using the right shampoo, or not,
the answer was only to wear white! (You could soon see who the regulars were).

Think the Plaza Building is still with us

Plaza building is still there but it's now a bingo hall. I think it was something else in between but I can't remember what.

Yes, I think you're right Morturn, but I wasn't sure and thought maybe it was a warehouse. Seems a funny shape inside to be a supermarket. The floor would be sloping wouldn't it?

As a fifteen year old my first job on leaving school was on Lyndhurst estate working as an apprentice plumber for the City of B,ham Direct Labour Dept. Wimpey built the high rise flats and we did the maisonettes and terraced houses. I,d never been over that side of town before except for Villa Park, lived in Yardley Wood so it was a two bus trip to work, 4d on the 13a and 4d on the 64. I was given instructions how to get there but got confused and got off the bus at six ways and headed down Bromford Lane. Came across a building site and asked for the plumber I was supposed to report to. The plumber there laughed and told me I was on the wrong site and kindly took me up to Lyndhurst on his motor bike. It was a great first few months working there, learned so much working with two good plumbers. Most importantly tho I learned how to make the tea in the billy can!! I also remember the scaffold on one of the twelve story blocks collapsing with two painters who were working on it, only minor injuries if I remember correctly. So many years ago but happy memories!!

Yes, I think you're right Morturn, but I wasn't sure and thought maybe it was a warehouse. Seems a funny shape inside to be a supermarket. The floor would be sloping wouldn't it?

Its was a funny shape, I do recall. It was significantly remodelled inside and I think they did extend one side of the building. The floors must have been sorted too, as they seemed normal when I looked in.

As a fifteen year old my first job on leaving school was on Lyndhurst estate working as an apprentice plumber for the City of B,ham Direct Labour Dept. Wimpey built the high rise flats and we did the maisonettes and terraced houses. I,d never been over that side of town before except for Villa Park, lived in Yardley Wood so it was a two bus trip to work, 4d on the 13a and 4d on the 64. I was given instructions how to get there but got confused and got off the bus at six ways and headed down Bromford Lane. Came across a building site and asked for the plumber I was supposed to report to. The plumber there laughed and told me I was on the wrong site and kindly took me up to Lyndhurst on his motor bike. It was a great first few months working there, learned so much working with two good plumbers. Most importantly tho I learned how to make the tea in the billy can!! I also remember the scaffold on one of the twelve story blocks collapsing with two painters who were working on it, only minor injuries if I remember correctly. So many years ago but happy memories!!

I worked with a guy (Brian Maney) who was also working for the City of B,ham Direct Labour Dept on the Lyndhurst estate. He also remembers the scaffold collapse, but said there were a couple of fatality's. I also recall the story of a school boy falling down the lift shaft of Harlech Tower when it was under construction. So much for the good old days when we didn't have elf and safety stopping us getting seriously injured and killed.

I was always bemused why Harlech Tower (16 stories) was built so much higher than all the other blocks (11 stories), made even higher by being erected on the highest point on the estate, on what is basicly a huge mound. Original architects long gone I guess, so no-one around to explain, or can Barester throw any light on the subject?
It's possible that Harlech was meant to be a landmark for the estate or even a monument to the architects, but I'm only guessing.
I didn't live in Harlech but visited the roof a number of times to enjoy the view.
In the early years all the blocks were open access but then came key operated entrances. When the blocks were newly occupied there was a rule that anyone under 12 years old should not use the lift alone (I did and was often giving a dressing down by the resident caretaker who explained, the rule is supposed to prevent children using the lift who might not be able to reach the alarm button and hence could not summon assistance if the lift failed.)
The alarm button was always at the top of the floor buttons and would have pretty high on the control panel in the Harlech lift.
Each block had tw0 lifts, one to even floors and one to odd, and, for some reason I can remember the lift manufature: Marryatt (not sure about spelling) & Scott.
Peg.

After moving to the Lyndhurst my mom, dad and me became a family of commuters, my mother continued to travel to Hockley Brook where she worked full time in a toolmaking company, I commuted to Harry Lucas School also in Hockley and my father to a non-ferrous rolling mill in Summer Lane on the outskirts of the city.
My father was a hard worker, permanent nights, working 4 x 12 hour shifts so there was no denying he earned a holiday. Our association with Brean Down (near Weston) started just after I was born in Heaton St, Hockley and continued when we moved to the Lyndhurst almost every summer until I was 14 when I refused to go anymore.
Ah! Happy days!

Peg.
Must View!: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-616867

Christmas was a great during the earlier years of a tower block occupancy, a good community spirit with parties going from flat to flat. I was part of a carol singing trio who's venues were the pubs of Hockley when I lived in Heaton St (on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter) Jim (not his real name - I've forgottem it) was a whiz on the spoons, (if you haven't heard Silent Night to the accompanyment of the spoons you have lived) anyway I moved to the Lyndhurst and left the other group members in Hockley so the band had to reform, I was 13 or so when my parents bought me a guitar for Christmas so the muscial accompanyment to our carol singing moved up a level, but now it was a duo not a trio.
So now instead of performing in the cold and often wet outside it was quite civilsed to be indoors going from flat to flat, although it was less lucrative then the pubs.
Ah! Happy Days!.
Peg.
P.S. Did I learn to play the guitar? After a year I was still on page 3 of Burt Weedon's Play in a Day so I was forced to conclude I didn't have a natural talent.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-616907

It's 1964, I'm 15 in the middle of the school summer break and the devil is about to find work for idle hands.
It's a fine day and I'm drifting about our 6th floor flat, mom's at work, dad's asleep, following his nightshift, and I'm wondering what to do.
I decide to relax on my divan, my gaze settles on my collection of football programmes on the wall, then my Mamod Steam engine steaming away on my dressing table and finally on the model glider hanging from the ceiling. It's an impressive model some 6ft in wingspan in royal blue and white livery, I constructed it for the Persuits & Projects Section of The Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award Scheme and with that section signed-off some weeks ago the model had served it's purpose.
I looked at thought: If I was that glider would I want to be tethered to a ceiling for all time or would I prefer a taste of freedom, albeit brief....... ?
Peg.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-616954

We were very fortunate on the Lyndhurst to be so near to so many leisure spots including Erdington Library and the swimming baths, my favourite after-swim snack was a mug of steaming Oxo and a Wagonwheel and, of course, a bag of chips as you walked home passed the Mermaid Chippy.
Ah! Happy Days!

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/peg-monkey-cartoons.48101/page-3#post-616986
P.S. What ever happened to Erdington Village Green? It was only tiny but it was our Village Green.

peg monkey when i google lyndhurst estate birmingham history forum it takes me straight to this thread...

as for you being off forum if this was because you couldnt log on we were given a weeks notice by warren that he was moving the server and while he was doing this the forum would not be available..thread below..if however you have been off the forum because you think that the cookies are a threat to the forum then please contact warren via private message expressing your concerns as he is our technical adviser

lyn
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/april-17th-down-time.48767/#post-616440
Hi Lyn,
I'm delighted to report I to am now able to go direct to the Lyndhurst Estate thread, it's only recently started to work for me, still don't know why there was a problem.
Peg.

Who did a paper round? I did, I had to walk to the newsagents bottom of Station Rd, wait for him to mark the papers, deliver them, get back home to The Lyndhurst to get ready for school, in time to get my first bus (64) at about 7.45 to arrive at school in Hockley about 8.45, I must have got up in the middle of the night!
Ah! Happy Days!(?)

Peg.
P.S. That newsagent also sold and made model areoplanes - the real thing with petrol engines and radio control - cost a fortune in those days.
P.P.S. I got 7/6d per week - 37.1/2p - days before minimum wage! slave labour or wot?!

Last edited:
Back