• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lyncroft House, Handsworth wood Road

Hi All, My mother, Margaret Griffin, gave birth to me at Lyncroft House is December 1968, where she was living in the mother and baby home. My Nan and Grandad used to visit us there. Unfortunately, my mom passed away in 1971 at the age of 20. My grandparents then brought me up in their home town of Walsall. They always spoke highly of my mom and sang her praises even though they had been through a lot of worry and heartache relating to her. However, they told me very little real details, kept me from my father who I still don;t know and since they have passed it has come to light that she went on to have my brother who was not born at Lyncroft but still in the Birmingham area.I am aware that she had a friend around this time who she spent time with and would like to trace to speak to. If anyone can give me any information about my mom or spent time with her Lyncroft House I would be forever grateful.
Thank you.

Sharon, you might like to try the Salvation Army to see if records still exist, I do know that they asked girls to name the father in confidence because often the girls didn't want their family to know.

Hi, I am looking for my husbands mum that was at this address, he was born on 31st January 1965 he was called David Paul Ward and still is called Dave, his mum was Pamela Wendy Ward. i would love to contact her for him, he is still a bit unsure what to do but i thought if i could find some information for him he could then decide what he wants to do.
If any one has any info i would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum, as this request is possibly about living persons it will have to be answered by private message.
I have sent you a message. Alberta

Hiya,
I'm wondering if anyone has any information in regards to my birth mother. I was born here on the 7th April 1966. My birth mother was named Linda Darke and would've been around 15 - 16 years of age at the time of my birth. From my original birth certificate I was named Sheriden Jane Darke. I believe that Linda lived in the area of Ladywood. If anyone has any more information or was there at the time and might remember Linda I'd be grateful and would love to hear from you. Many thanks Julie.

Aries070466, welcome to the forum.
As your request is about living persons replies must be by message.
I have sent you a couple of messages that may be of interest.

Last edited:
I have a query about Lyncroft House just after the war. Was it used as a Maternity Hospital around that time? When I was 12 years old my mother told me I was born in a Salvation Army Hospital in Lichfield in 1946. I am the classic 'War baby'. My father, who I have researched, was an American GI. Long story there.
I have often wondered why she made the trip from Barnet to Lichfield to give birth to me. I know there was a great deal of shame for girls and women in a similar situation where they wanted to keep everything secret. That makes sense. But she returned to Barnet and I remember living with my grandparents. My grandfather even offered to bring me up. She decided to keep me and married Arthur so I would have a father. I could expand on this story if anyone is interested but for now I would like to know if there might be a record of what happened back then and if I'm on the right track re Lyncroft House. I have attached a pic of myself and mother outside the hospital where I was born. No idea who took the pic. It was sent to me by a cousin who knows no more than I do. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Hilda and Baby Nigel.jpg
    Hilda and Baby Nigel.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 18
I was in lincroft in 1974 I had my son in the July looked after him for 10 days , then he was adopted, I can remember Captin Marshall, and Brigadier Marsh we had a lieutenant who we called leffy, they went on a conference some were and leffy was killed in a car crash we were all heart broken, I still have a book that she gave me , called for the love of Ann, they where very good to me as I was very young, we had some really sad cases their, I was the only one with my parents still together xxx

I have a query about Lyncroft House just after the war. Was it used as a Maternity Hospital around that time? When I was 12 years old my mother told me I was born in a Salvation Army Hospital in Lichfield in 1946. I am the classic 'War baby'. My father, who I have researched, was an American GI. Long story there.
I have often wondered why she made the trip from Barnet to Lichfield to give birth to me. I know there was a great deal of shame for girls and women in a similar situation where they wanted to keep everything secret. That makes sense. But she returned to Barnet and I remember living with my grandparents. My grandfather even offered to bring me up. She decided to keep me and married Arthur so I would have a father. I could expand on this story if anyone is interested but for now I would like to know if there might be a record of what happened back then and if I'm on the right track re Lyncroft House. I have attached a pic of myself and mother outside the hospital where I was born. No idea who took the pic. It was sent to me by a cousin who knows no more than I do. Any help will be appreciated.
Hey Nornig. I've only just found this site and your message. My dad was born at a mother and baby home in Lichfield in 1943 in similar circumstances. I wonder if you have been able to find any information that you could share please?

My mom gave birth to me at Lyncroft House in 1957, I would love to hear from anyone who was at the home during this time, I went onto becoming adopted and have always thought how difficult it must of been for her. No support given and a lot of trauma suffered.
My grandma gave birth to her son here in 1957 I am still trying to locate him, not having much luck, She never spoke about her time here

Hi my name is Caroline ( my mums name was Diane Mary Jinks ) she was there from October until November 1957 ( I was born November 1957 )
I would like to find information about my father.
I now live in Australia ( I would like to know if anyone knows if they kept records of fathers names of the babies born thank you so much

Last edited:
Hi, I was born at Lyncroft House on 13 Feb 65, my birth name was Michaela Jones.
I am trying to trace my birth mother, Georgina Ann, but I’m struggling with so many records against this surname. Any info that anyone can share would be much appreciated. Thank you

There is an adoption register, not sure how successful it is...

...or you could try dna on one of the ancestry sites, which may connect you to more distant relatives and help you trace her that way.

I had my baby at Lyncroft House December 1965 and am delighted to say that Feb 2010 he contacted me. Unfortunately he lives in Southampton so we don't meet that often but unless it has happened to you no one can say what a relief to know your baby is alive and well and has a wonderful family. I often sat through the night with private patients in the labour ward and they were always so interested in our lives and babies. I would love to hear from any of the girls who were there Sept 65 to March 66 to talk of the old faces, Dr Barry Crisp, Mrs Morgan, Capt Smardon, Brigadier Burrows and the lovely Scandinavian girls.
Hi there my mom had my sister at Lyncroft in November 1965 her name was shuriea meah

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to even try looking for my sister born at Lyncroft house in Nov 1965. I have called Salvation Army and they have acknowledged that she was born there. But that’s all they can tell me. How many years do you have to waite for the info to be available albeit too late by then.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to even try looking for my sister born at Lyncroft house in Nov 1965. I have called Salvation Army and they have acknowledged that she was born there. But that’s all they can tell me. How many years do you have to waite for the info to be available albeit too late by then.
The only Shuriea Meah I can find on findmypast is spelt Shuriah Meah it is on an electoral register for 2002 to 2005. It is unlikely to be the same person as Shuriea may havre changed her name by now. Sorry.

was your sister adopted? if so i think the best way forward for you would be to contact birmingham social services

lyn

The only Shuriea Meah I can find on findmypast is spelt Shuriah Meah it is on an electoral register for 2002 to 2005. It is unlikely to be the same person as Shuriea may havre changed her name by now. Sorry.
That’s strange almost same name, shuriea passed in 91 so not the same one.
But I’m looking for her daughter and I can’t find anything her name is Anita mess meah but most likely changed I’m sure

Hi there my mom had my sister at Lyncroft in November 1965 her name was shuriea meah

Possibly a little vague. So Shuirea was your mother and it was Anita who was born in 1965?

I think it is easier for the person who has been adopted to find their family than the other way round.

There's a little info here...

Yes she was, back in 65. A lot of people suggest agencies to help but they seem to cost thousands
my own family has gone through this and went through social services to gain access to the records..as far as i am aware this did not cost anything however this was some years ago now so may need checking...good luck

lyn

Thanks for your help.
Yes shuriea is my mom, and Anita was born when she was 16.
Anita would be 58 now I think, do you think she would know she was adopted? If she has applied for any legal documentation she would know that way I’m guessing, not sure how it would work.

Impossible to know if she knows or if she does know that she wants to know more. There was a chap on the Repair Shop who lived most of his life believing his mom was his sister and it was only luck that he found out, so no guarantees.

If she did find out, then it wouldn't be difficult to find some info on your family, just on genealogy sites and get in touch with owners of trees that may be of relevance.

A bit of a long shot maybe, but it is possible she may even see your messages here one day.

Thanks for your help.
Yes shuriea is my mom, and Anita was born when she was 16.
Anita would be 58 now I think, do you think she would know she was adopted? If she has applied for any legal documentation she would know that way I’m guessing, not sure how it would work.
from personal experience this is a very delicate subject and must not be taken lightly as you never know what you may find out or indeed the adopted person may find out..your sister may not even know she has another sibling which could come a shock to her..my second cousin whos mother was my gt aunt found me through this forum and we found out we are related..he knew from a young age that he was adopted and had a very good life..however when his adoptive parents died like many he wanted to know where he came from so applied to social services for his records..this takes time..eventually after reading them he discovered to his shock that after many years of thinking he was an only child that he also had an older brother who was sent to the banardos homes age 7..an older sister adopted at 8 months and another older sister who died at birth ...there is no fathers name on any of the 4 birth certs so sadly they will never know who their fathers were..it took him quite some time to process all this information and to get his head around it..he did get to meet his half brother who lives in canada and his half sister who was in birmingham and of course i have met him a few times..so my advise is please think carefully before you start investigating as although you are desperate to find your sister she may not be aware of you and if you did find her you must consider the possibility that like so many she may not want to meet you...on the other hand she may..its a gamble but good luck and please let us know how things turn out..

lyn

I must thoroughly agree with what Lyn has said about being careful how you approach the matter. However , as someone who had no idea they had a half sister, until they came looking for me, and for whom there was no way I could have found out (there being no official records , only some photographs and, a couple of personal documents in her possession), I was delighted if very surprised at the revelation

Lyncroft House

Having found this thread I thought it would be helpful to reply to some of the points raised by some recent (as well as a few not so recent) posts. Find attached a very brief history of our Birmingham homes. I originally put this together for a different thread on this forum:

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...dywood-road-birmingham-b16.31615/#post-795807

Lyncroft House, Lichfield later became the Hedgehog pub, and Lyncroft House, Handsworth Wood was situated at 99-101 (from around 1972, 97-101) Ladywood Road.

‘…do you think she would know she was adopted?’
The attitude of adoptive parents of course made a difference to if a child found out in childhood, but I never fail to be surprised at how good families can be at keeping secrets. Some years ago, I was contacted by a lady who had just discovered, within the past few days that is, that she had been adopted. This wasn’t especially unusual as I get this type of enquiry all the time, except this woman was ninety-two years of age and she had found out from her dying aunt, aged ninety-six, who had kept this secret across nine decades.

‘…apart from having to have their baby's adopted’
It’s a common misconception that an unmarried woman giving birth in a maternity home automatically had to give their child up for adoption. Over the years I have compiled studies of women leaving our various homes. I can only comment on Salvation Army homes, but in the case of Lyncroft House I have produced three of these studies, and I have calculated the percentage of women who left the home with their baby in each of the three years.

1941 55%
1957 54%
1970 62%

These are very consistent figures, but those for other homes, or for other years, can of course vary considerably.

‘I have often wondered why she made the trip from Barnet to Lichfield to give birth to me. ‘
It’s rarely possible to work out from the surviving records why an individual woman (or her parents) chose a particular home, but referring to the same three summaries as above I find that:

1941 One woman travelled from Gloucester and another from Sheffield
1957 The longest journey was from Cardigan in West Wales
1970 Two women are listed as having come from London

‘…she wasn’t allowed to register his birth herself, so I doubt her name is on the birth certificate’
I must admit I’ve not come across this before, but even if the mother is not named as informant, her name will of course be on the certificate as the child’s mother.

‘I do know that they asked girls to name the father in confidence…’.
There was certainly a question on the child’s form for the name and address of the putative father, but the answer given could be ‘not known’ or ‘would not say’ – as there was no requirement for a woman to give this information.

Putative Fathers
The putative father in this context is a man whose legal relationship to the child has not been established, but who is alleged to be the father to a child born to a woman to whom he is not married at the time of the child's birth.

Information regarding putative fathers found in the girls' statement books (discharge records) and similar records is treated as third-party information. This means that we will only release personally-identifying information if at least one of the following conditions applies:
  • 84 years had passed from date of case
  • Proven to be deceased/or assumed to be if would be aged 100+
  • If our records indicate that an affiliation order had been granted, as this would have been decided in a court of law
  • With permission of the man concerned, usually in a letter deposited around the time of birth
Any general, non-personally-identifying information will be given if it is available, such as home town/country, occupation, etc.

If the child was adopted, then I can provide any information we may have to an ASA (see below) along with the rest of the information in a record, although I usually give the following ‘health warning’ for such information.

In most cases in our records there was no corroboration as to the putative father’s identity, and usually the man named would not even have known that his details were being given to us. Also, it is apparent that the identification of the putative fathers in these records is often unreliable. There are even examples of a woman giving the details of different men to us at different times.

For most of our former maternity homes (including Lyncroft) few original records survive and our main resource for answering this type of enquiry is a series of records known as the Girls' Statement Books. These are divided into separate series for ‘London’ and ‘Country’ (the rest of the UK). These were compiled from returns sent in from every home at the end of each month to our headquarters, and are discharge records, one page for each of the women who left the home that month (the girl’s statement), with an additional form stuck to it if a baby had been born (the infant’s statement).

Although these records start in the 1880s and continue right up to the closure of our last maternity home in 1980, there is one known major gap. In the ‘Country’ series, and therefore affecting Lyncroft, we have no discharge entries from March 1942 and March 1948.

Even though the information is limited, most people find it of interest, and there is sometimes information such as the woman’s home address, the adoption society responsible for the adoption or, as mentioned above, the putative father.

‘…this is a very delicate subject and must not be taken lightly.’
I agree, as a ‘new’ family may not have known of the adopted person’s existence. DIY attempts at contact can be damaging to all concerned.

‘How many years do you have to wait for the info to be available albeit too late by then.’
Records regarding adoptions are covered by an exemption under the Data Protection Act, so information cannot be requested using a Subject Access Request. However, there is an alternative route.

If someone contacts me regarding their adoption, or that of a birth relative, I will provide a list of suitable ID. Once I have this I will check our archive to see if there are any surviving records. If we do have anything, then I will have to refer you to an Adoption Support Agency (ASA). They will also ask you to provide proof of your identity, and they will be able to apply to me for transcripts of the records we hold. This is a legal requirement.

Your local authority's social services department (or, in Northern Ireland, your health and social care trust) will be able to direct you to a suitable ASA in your area, or they may even provide the service themselves.

About Adoption Support Agencies
Adoption support agencies provide assistance to adopted children and adults, such as counselling and finding out the details of their adoption. They also help adopted children and adults and their relatives if they want to know more about, or want to trace, their birth relatives.

If you have any queries of a general nature which you think others might find of interest please reply to this post. If you have not been in contact with me before and would like to ask about your specific circumstances, please search for:

“The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre”, go to ‘contact us’ and you will find our e-mail address. Information sent to this address is seen only by myself and the archive team, and so is completely confidential.

Kevin

Major Kevin Pooley
Social Historian
The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre

Hi
Lyncroft House

Having found this thread I thought it would be helpful to reply to some of the points raised by some recent (as well as a few not so recent) posts. Find attached a very brief history of our Birmingham homes. I originally put this together for a different thread on this forum:

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...dywood-road-birmingham-b16.31615/#post-795807

Lyncroft House, Lichfield later became the Hedgehog pub, and Lyncroft House, Handsworth Wood was situated at 99-101 (from around 1972, 97-101) Ladywood Road.

‘…do you think she would know she was adopted?’
The attitude of adoptive parents of course made a difference to if a child found out in childhood, but I never fail to be surprised at how good families can be at keeping secrets. Some years ago, I was contacted by a lady who had just discovered, within the past few days that is, that she had been adopted. This wasn’t especially unusual as I get this type of enquiry all the time, except this woman was ninety-two years of age and she had found out from her dying aunt, aged ninety-six, who had kept this secret across nine decades.

‘…apart from having to have their baby's adopted’
It’s a common misconception that an unmarried woman giving birth in a maternity home automatically had to give their child up for adoption. Over the years I have compiled studies of women leaving our various homes. I can only comment on Salvation Army homes, but in the case of Lyncroft House I have produced three of these studies, and I have calculated the percentage of women who left the home with their baby in each of the three years.

1941 55%
1957 54%
1970 62%

These are very consistent figures, but those for other homes, or for other years, can of course vary considerably.

‘I have often wondered why she made the trip from Barnet to Lichfield to give birth to me. ‘
It’s rarely possible to work out from the surviving records why an individual woman (or her parents) chose a particular home, but referring to the same three summaries as above I find that:

1941 One woman travelled from Gloucester and another from Sheffield
1957 The longest journey was from Cardigan in West Wales
1970 Two women are listed as having come from London

‘…she wasn’t allowed to register his birth herself, so I doubt her name is on the birth certificate’
I must admit I’ve not come across this before, but even if the mother is not named as informant, her name will of course be on the certificate as the child’s mother.

‘I do know that they asked girls to name the father in confidence…’.
There was certainly a question on the child’s form for the name and address of the putative father, but the answer given could be ‘not known’ or ‘would not say’ – as there was no requirement for a woman to give this information.

Putative Fathers
The putative father in this context is a man whose legal relationship to the child has not been established, but who is alleged to be the father to a child born to a woman to whom he is not married at the time of the child's birth.

Information regarding putative fathers found in the girls' statement books (discharge records) and similar records is treated as third-party information. This means that we will only release personally-identifying information if at least one of the following conditions applies:
  • 84 years had passed from date of case
  • Proven to be deceased/or assumed to be if would be aged 100+
  • If our records indicate that an affiliation order had been granted, as this would have been decided in a court of law
  • With permission of the man concerned, usually in a letter deposited around the time of birth
Any general, non-personally-identifying information will be given if it is available, such as home town/country, occupation, etc.

If the child was adopted, then I can provide any information we may have to an ASA (see below) along with the rest of the information in a record, although I usually give the following ‘health warning’ for such information.

In most cases in our records there was no corroboration as to the putative father’s identity, and usually the man named would not even have known that his details were being given to us. Also, it is apparent that the identification of the putative fathers in these records is often unreliable. There are even examples of a woman giving the details of different men to us at different times.

For most of our former maternity homes (including Lyncroft) few original records survive and our main resource for answering this type of enquiry is a series of records known as the Girls' Statement Books. These are divided into separate series for ‘London’ and ‘Country’ (the rest of the UK). These were compiled from returns sent in from every home at the end of each month to our headquarters, and are discharge records, one page for each of the women who left the home that month (the girl’s statement), with an additional form stuck to it if a baby had been born (the infant’s statement).

Although these records start in the 1880s and continue right up to the closure of our last maternity home in 1980, there is one known major gap. In the ‘Country’ series, and therefore affecting Lyncroft, we have no discharge entries from March 1942 and March 1948.

Even though the information is limited, most people find it of interest, and there is sometimes information such as the woman’s home address, the adoption society responsible for the adoption or, as mentioned above, the putative father.

‘…this is a very delicate subject and must not be taken lightly.’
I agree, as a ‘new’ family may not have known of the adopted person’s existence. DIY attempts at contact can be damaging to all concerned.

‘How many years do you have to wait for the info to be available albeit too late by then.’
Records regarding adoptions are covered by an exemption under the Data Protection Act, so information cannot be requested using a Subject Access Request. However, there is an alternative route.

If someone contacts me regarding their adoption, or that of a birth relative, I will provide a list of suitable ID. Once I have this I will check our archive to see if there are any surviving records. If we do have anything, then I will have to refer you to an Adoption Support Agency (ASA). They will also ask you to provide proof of your identity, and they will be able to apply to me for transcripts of the records we hold. This is a legal requirement.

Your local authority's social services department (or, in Northern Ireland, your health and social care trust) will be able to direct you to a suitable ASA in your area, or they may even provide the service themselves.

About Adoption Support Agencies
Adoption support agencies provide assistance to adopted children and adults, such as counselling and finding out the details of their adoption. They also help adopted children and adults and their relatives if they want to know more about, or want to trace, their birth relatives.

If you have any queries of a general nature which you think others might find of interest please reply to this post. If you have not been in contact with me before and would like to ask about your specific circumstances, please search for:

“The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre”, go to ‘contact us’ and you will find our e-mail address. Information sent to this address is seen only by myself and the archive team, and so is completely confidential.

Kevin

Major Kevin Pooley
Social Historian
The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre
Hi kevin
Thanks so much for your information.
Reading your reply on if someone would know if they was adopted worries me a little, that my sister may not know, makes me think so I upset the Apple cart.
But would you find that out if you found the person. How do you tell them.?

Back