• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lucas Engineering School Great Hampton Street

Hi Folks, I wanted desperately to join LES September 1965 after leaving Harry Lucas School (only apprentices I know of that wore a uniform) but wasn't accepted (selection process lasted all day - numerous sessions - very gruelling, but got a free lunch), got offered a trainee position at Lucas Gas Turbine but didn't accept, probably should have done.

Regards,
Peg.

• Appreciate
Reactions: JES
Andyboy, Any ex apprentices of the 50,s & 60,s must remember Ted. Ran the office for Sam Davies & took the daily exercises on the roof & at Handsworth Tech. Lots of photos on Lucas Memories.

• Appreciate
Reactions: JES
Andyboy,
I started in 1976 at College Road and Ted Brewer was the 5BX mentor, two shifts of lads in the loading bays to knock into shape. We also did sessions at Newtown Leisure Centre.
Luxury compared to the roof sessions at Hampton Street :)

Bob,
I believe 5bx was a military (Canadian Air force, I think not 100% though) fitness using 5 basic exercises, star jumps, squats etc. Ted Brewer was ex military PE instructor.

Any ex apprentices remember Ted Brewer and morning exercises.
Yeah bloomin 5BX every morning in the loading bay (yes they were Canadian airforce exercises). Then Weds afternoons at Newtown. Who the hell thinks volleyball using a medicine ball is a good idea? Yep, Ted Brewer did! If you argued he would go even redder in the face and stick a pair of boxing gloves on you to "sort it out". I saw him once on a DDay landings programme being interviewed so assumed he was an ex-para. Good old bloke though and hard as nails. There was also a big box by the loading bay at the LETC with a load of old sword fencing gear in it - glad i missed those years - if Ted had got hold of them we'd probably have had to play volleyball with the swords

At the Engineering Training Centre in 1984 (Keith Wills at the front). Impressed to see two females trainees, not that common in the 1980s. Image from Birmingham Post & Mail archives.

Question: did the Centre become part of the University ? Viv.

FBECA5C5-F85C-461F-9ED5-D5F57F760CDD.jpeg

Any ex apprentices remember Ted Brewer and morning exercises.
Yes I remember Ted Brewer very well. I was an apprentice there from 1961-1966. Reg Padmore was the Head then took over from Sammy Davis around 62 I think.
Last time I saw both of the was at the Lucas Engineering Apprentice reunion at the Eaton Hotel on Hagley Road held every other year. That must have been 10 years ago at least. Haven’t been to any for a while. I know there was one about 4 years ago. Would love to go to the next. Do you have any contact details for the organiser?

Yeah bloomin 5BX every morning in the loading bay (yes they were Canadian airforce exercises). Then Weds afternoons at Newtown. Who the hell thinks volleyball using a medicine ball is a good idea? Yep, Ted Brewer did! If you argued he would go even redder in the face and stick a pair of boxing gloves on you to "sort it out". I saw him once on a DDay landings programme being interviewed so assumed he was an ex-para. Good old bloke though and hard as nails. There was also a big box by the loading bay at the LETC with a load of old sword fencing gear in it - glad i missed those years - if Ted had got hold of them we'd probably have had to play volleyball with the swords
Engineering School in the 60s was at GHS. Morning exercise was on the roof come rain or shine. Dash up 6 flights of stairs at mid morning break for exercise. Slackers were picked out to do penalties. Then down one floor to the canteen for sandwich and tea.

I started at LES in the summer of 1958. I remember my first green coat. being given a cube of steel that had grinder groves in and told to file it flat to 1 mil I think. I enjoyed the fencing, table tennis and the gym on the roof top, and my 3 course lunch

Back