• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Boys

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
William Porter and Eleanor Rosa nee Woodyatt married in 1907 and had, I am told 6 children

Doris Woodyatt born 26 July 1905 reg Birmingham

Eleanor Rosa Porter born 14 Feb 1909 reg King's Norton

Wilfred Porter born 3 March 1911 reg King's Norton

Horace Porter born 9 July 1913 reg King's Norton

and 2 others, Cyril and Bertrum but so far I have been able to find their births on either FBMD or Ancestory.

Any help/advice very gratefully received.
Many thanks for reading this
Helen

Hi Helen

Thought you would like these 2 births i found :p

Cyril Porter mmn Woodyatt 3rd qtr 1916 Kings N 6d 109

Bert W Porter mmn Woodyatt 1st qtr 1919 Kings N 6d 79

bren

Thanks Bren, you are a star!!

Am seriously considering subscribing to a different research site, or maybe getting my eyes tested. either way I have been having very little success finding thing srecently without a little help.

Helen

Hi Helen

I use Ancestry, as you do, i hope you are not just using the search box on the home page as for me it never gives up its' secrets. Always go into the section you want to search and use the search in there and even then you have to sometimes alter how and what information you put in but usualy i find that too much info gives poor results.
Anyhow, we are here to give a little help and by the way, those births don't appear yet on FreeBMD, very patchy in those years at the moment but they are doing a great job.

bren

Your right Bren, I never bother with the search box on the home page of Ancestory anymore but cut straight to the chase.

At the moment I only subscribe to Ancestry for searches but I have come up against several "thin" brick walls that have easily been broken down by the wonderful people I have met over the web. Sometimes they have found what I have missed because I am having a bad day and sometimes 'cos I haven't got my right eyes on. However, sevaral times it has been because the info has been transcribed poorly and this has made me think that maybe the time has come to expand my subscription to include another site too.

Anyway, nothing beats getting the real thing in you hands, even if you hands are encased in plastic gloves. Have spent the morning in the Somerset record office going through Bishops transcripts, handwritten on Vellum. Found the baptism of Charles Cross 28 Sept 1828, wonderful!!

Tomorrow I am off up to Birmingham so that next week I can do some research up there. Also, discovered that the wife of Bert Porter, who's birth you found for me, is still alive. With a bit of luck she will be well enough to see me while I am up there. Fantastic.

Thanks as ever
Helen

Back