• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

LORD CLIFDEN GT HAMPTON ST CLOSED

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
popped down the old end today and was shocked to see that the lord clifden has closed its doors:(..with a notice on the door that all valuables had been removed...i enquired at the shop next door and they said it had been closed for about a month or so.. reason lack of business....no more info but maybe it will reopen eventually

lyn

This is sad news as I have so many happy memories of the Clifden. During the 60's, my friends and I used to meet in there before going to the night clubs in town. Mabz

mabz did you read the link on post 2...it seems it is only a temporary closure and will be re opening soon

lyn

further to the pub saying in july that the pub will shortly re open ...have to report that i have been down again today and sadly it still remains closed...does not look good at the min

lyn

further to the pub saying in july that the pub will shortly re open ...have to report that i have been down again today and sadly it still remains closed...does not look good at the min

lyn
Thats very sad

popped down the old end today and was shocked to see that the lord clifden has closed its doors:(..with a notice on the door that all valuables had been removed...i enquired at the shop next door and they said it had been closed for about a month or so.. reason lack of business....no more info but maybe it will reopen eventually

lyn
We hear a lot of people complain when pubs close or vandals knock them down.
If we want our pubs to survive we need to return .

Pubs are expensive to run rents are these days a joke, if you look at any pub the lights that are on in one day is more then most of us would use in a month.

Those who can why not go down to the pub this weekend that you used to enjoy and have a drink or two, I'm sure the pub will be pleased to see you.

Nick Phillips

We hear a lot of people complain when pubs close or vandals knock them down.
If we want our pubs to survive we need to return .

Pubs are expensive to run rents are these days a joke, if you look at any pub the lights that are on in one day is more then most of us would use in a month.

Those who can why not go down to the pub this weekend that you used to enjoy and have a drink or two, I'm sure the pub will be pleased to see you.

Nick Phillips
fully agree nick...i do frequent when i can...such a shame when any pub closes

lyn

lyn
Lyn, its a sad time for the pub trade. We all know that we can go to Tesco or any other supermarket and purchase drink at a lower price then the pubs can at a Cash and Carry.

If we want our local pub we need to return and we may remember what we used to enjoy.

Nick

Only where PubCos , mainly malignant property developers hoping to make a killing, are not involved
Mike, at the moment, the Lord Clifden is part of the Laine group who own about 55 pubs in Brighton, London and some in Birmingham. But Laine is now owned by a US bank Fortress Investment Group. The bank's owner had a background in beer distribution so let's hope that his interest in British Beer continues. We must cherish our independent pubs. Derek

l

Last edited:
Mike, at the moment, the Lord Clifden is part of the Laine group who own about 55 pubs in Brighton, London and some in Birmingham. But Laine is now owned by a US bank Fortress Investment Group. The bank's owner had a background in beer distribution so let's hope that his interest in British Beer continues. We must cherish our independent pubs. Derek

l
shame to see it closed for so long derek...spent many a happy hour in there both as a customer and barmaid...happy days

lyn

shame to see it closed for so long derek...spent many a happy hour in there both as a customer and barmaid...happy days

lyn
Thanks for explaining your personal connection, Lyn. I think the Jewellery Quarter has a lot of unrealised potential. My kids in their 20s loved the museum, but with money in their pockets they didn't find any jewellery they cared for. Lots of big brand watches in B'ham now, but not in the Quarter. I hope that this pub will open again. Derek

Thanks for explaining your personal connection, Lyn. I think the Jewellery Quarter has a lot of unrealised potential. My kids in their 20s loved the museum, but with money in their pockets they didn't find any jewellery they cared for. Lots of big brand watches in B'ham now, but not in the Quarter. I hope that this pub will open again. Derek
yes so do i derek...even though when i knew it well in the 80s and there were lots of other pubs around the clifden was never short of business..mind you neither were all the other pubs..so sad to see the massive decline of the humble pub..i can only hope the church tavern just on the other corner will survive...had many a good night in there as well

lyn:D

Back