• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Look Up Please

The Baron

master brummie
Can any one of you kind members please look up a ROSETTA (ROSE) KATE JENNEY born MARCH 1906 ASTON WARWICKSHIRE. I need to know her family as I think she was my dads lost sisters.
As there in on one to ask in the family now I would mush appreciate HELP.
Thanks ASTON

Aston, as she was born 1906, theres no census to look at, the only way, to find out abt her, is to trawl through the marriages on ancestry, the BMDS:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

then if you find a marriage, look for births with her maiden name shown, then deaths.

this is her birth, if you are unsure of parents, you can send for the cert.

You have saved this record to My Ancestry (Shoebox).
You have saved this record to My Ancestry (People I'm Looking For).
This record has been added to your shoebox.
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about Rosetta Kate Jenney

Name:Rosetta Kate JenneyYear of Registration:1906 Quarter of Registration:Jan-Feb-Mar District:Aston County:Warwickshire Volume:6d Page:352 (click to see others on page)

Aston....the only way you are going to confirm or not is to send for the certificate.....if she had been born pre 1901....we might have been able to help you...or if we could view the 1911 census.....there is very little we can do at this stage....also if she had been born after 1911 the surname of the mother would be known....but sadly it falls in between....there aren't many Jenneys around so the chances are very high......sorry I cannot help any futher......

Aston.....I would put money on it being your aunt.....your grandfather had a sister who died at the age of 19 in 1896....Lilian Kate......I do believe that he named Rosetta Kate after his sister.....only a thought but it did and still goes on.....

Any help please on HARRIET & THOMAS THOMPSON, Harriet was born Sutton Coldfield abt 1861 past a way 15th Nov 1930,Thomas her spouse Ihave nothing on,they lived at 88 COLES LANE MANEY SUTTON COLDFIELD up till 1930s.
many thank your help in the past.
ASTON

John, Iam now totally confused as I now know HARRIET THOMPSON my wife's granmother was born in Sutton Coldfield,FLORENCE THOMPSON was older than DOROTHY DAISY THOMPSON?
I begger to think how there could be such a coincideace regarding the name.
My wife tells me she thinks Harriet was born in Trinity Hill SUTTON COLDFIELD. but not to sure
I do know they ended up at 88 Cole Lane Maney SUTTON COLDFIELD.

THANK FOR YOUR HELP ANY WAY
ASTON

Aston, I had a look at the 1891 census they were in Coleshill St.
Thomas Thompson Head 38 Railway Plate Layer born Whitacre.
Harriet " 29 born Burston Worcs
Thomas E " 6 " Selly Oak
Harry " 3 " Sutton Coldfield
Sidney " 5 months " Sutton Coldfield.

Aston....what was the maiden name of Harriet.....?, and how do you know Harriet was born in Sutton Coldfield...?

Hi john, do not know Harriets maiden name? but my late mothering law all ways said she was a SUTTON girl. I agree with you all the roads are leading to her beingfrom WORCESTERSHIRE?
IS THERE A WAY I CAN FIND INFO BACK TRACKING FROM WHEN THEY LIVED IN COLES LANE.As you see from the picture I post in the Vitorian Album post Ionly have Harriet & the three girls one of which is my late mothering law, the others are Florance, & May my wifes Aunts?
Thanks for any help
ASTON

Aston......the only way you can go forward is going backwards first, to confirm anyone you need to purchase Birth.Marriage certificates.....if you could obtain there marriage cert it gives you the name of both fathers of the marrying couple, along with where they live, plus their ages...witness's, a very good source of information.....the birth cert gives the mothers maiden surname, and where the child was born etc...
In you case you need to obtain a birth cert of one of the children...which like I said will give the mothers maiden name....you will then need to match up a marriage between the father and mother...searching on both names to match up dates, places and the entry number in the index....sounds long winded but it isn't....it will take you about two weeks to confirm names....sending for the birth cert should take about three or four days....(Birmingham Reg office first class)...marriage cert might take a little long if married in Worcestershire (Worcester Reg...not very Helpful) you might need to send to Southport or wherever...if you hit a problem...we are here to help.....

Thanks John,I have all my mom & dads Certs plus both nans birth certs,
but as my wife was born late in her mother & fathers life (her mom was 40)no one thought to keep the records, which you do not when your young,so thanks for your advice & help
ASTON

Aston, I had a look at the 1891 census they were in Coleshill St.
Thomas Thompson Head 38 Railway Plate Layer born Whitacre.
Harriet " 29 born Burston Worcs
Thomas E " 6 " Selly Oak
Harry " 3 " Sutton Coldfield
Sidney " 5 months " Sutton Coldfield.
Just read that your message, am new to this site so trying to find my way around it.
See you are interested in the Baker family.
My fathers name was Reuben Harry and he lived in Aston. He had 3 sisters, Minnie Ida/Ada and Florence ,is this of interest to you?
sandra

Sorry SandraL I have not come across those Baker family names as yet although I am descovering new ones daily.

Any Info Please

I need to find the Birth Address of Mr WILLIAM (WRIGHT) JENNEY Born around 1837: Christened 16th Jan 1837 St Martins, Birmingham.

He may have been given the christian name at birth of either "WRIGHT" OR "WILLIAM" as he used WRIGHT on his marriage cert to his first wife Lydia Evans but on her death cert he used WILLIAM.

The only other info for the early WILLIAMs life is that his Fathers name was also WILLIAM JENNEY his Mothers Christian name was Elizabeth, Maiden Surname may have been MELSOM or NELSON ? Both Father & Mother came to Birmingham from Louth in Lincolnshire in the 1800s.

I have asked for you help with this family before & am over joyed at the help I have been given.This one has me stumpt.

ASTON

Aston, the only William Jenneys I can find on the 1841 census (as listed on "Find My Past") that might be connected are:

William Jenney Aged 55 (Carpenter) born Lincolnshire, living in Bridge Street Louth and
William Jenney Aged 15 living in Grainthorpe, Louth.

The listings on this website might not be complete though. Maybe a trawl through Pickards Pink Pages for Warwickshire might help?

Hello Aston, I had some problems searching for your William (Wright) Jenny there was no record on the St Martins registers for a christening in 1837. I had a search around and found this one. I know to my annoyance there are many mistakes on the Familysearch IGI. I hope this helps

William Jenney

Hi Aston - I have found your William Jenney on the 1841 census, under the name JENEY, living in Hill Street, Birmingham:

Caroline Jeney 9
Eliza Jeney 11
Elizabeth Jeney 35
Henry Jeney 7
Mary Ann Jeney 13
Walter Jeney 1
William Jeney 35 (Tailor)
William Jeney 4

I am attaching a copy of the census page, and hope you will be able to read it.

Judy

Last edited:
William Jenney

Hi Aston - I have just found Wright Jenney on the IGI. He was born on 25 November 1836 and christened on 16 January 1837 at St Martins, Birmingham. Mother and father were William and Elizabeth.

Judy

Many thanks to you both for the info, the birth cert info; is for William (wright's) brother WALTER I may beable to trace WILLIAM from the HILL STREET address? as he was born only two years before WALTER & MAY BE AT THE SAME ADDRESS.
Thanks also for the census page I will try to clean it up & have a look for the address if it is the same ie HILL STREET then I have cracked it.
THANKS AGAIN ,YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.
ASTON

Further to the 1841 census entry.
1851 Kidderminster
William Jenney age 45 b. Lincolnshire Master Tailor
Eliza wife age 33 b. Ireland

An Elizabeth Jenney died 1847 Birmingham

If this is the family where are the children?

In the 1851 census:

1851 – 6 Lower Priory Birmingham + Lodgers - Davies family, who are possibly daughter, Caroline, her husband, and family.

Elizabeth Jenney 36 – Tailor’s Trimmings
Henry Jenney 17 - Tailor
Wright Jenney 14 - Butcher
Arthur Jenney 7 - Scholar

No sign of William senior, although Elizabeth is not classed as a widow.

Thanks judy39 & all you kind folk,
Ihave it that William the father of william wright jenney went back home to Louth but I have failed to find him,I thought may be he remarried but can find no record of this,
I assume now that WILLIAM WRIGHT JENNEY (on what you guys have posted) was born in Hill Street Birmingham still cant read the number on the census form?
ASTON

1861 Elizabeth is still with daughter Caroline and son in law and their family in Lower Priory.Her status married.

Believe William must have set up a seperate home and family as;
1861 Macclesfied
William Jenney age 55 b. Barton Lincs Tailor
Eliza wife age 44 Ireland
Eliza age 9 b. Macclesfield

Thanks ALBERTA, it looks like my Gt Gt grandad was a bit of a lad married to two wives fathered I dont know how many children & lived in LOUTH, BIRMINGHAM,KIDDERMINSTER,MACCLESFIELD. (Iam yet to find where or when he died).
I have found thourgh information posted on this forum, a member of my Gt Grandfather WILLIAM WRIGHT JENNEYs family from his first marriage,This as give me lots more info to look in too.
Thank you ALL
ASTON

Back