• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lock Keepers Cottage Belmont Row

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A little piece of Birmingham canal history on Belmont Row. The plans were to keep the house but remove some of the low level additions. Is anything happening with this building? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 99
Viv

If they give it as much consideration as everything else around that area I suppose they will demolish it because it is a danger to the public after they leave long enough without any maintenance and it begins to fall down.

Attachments

• Nechells Ashted flight of locks Belmont Row bridge.jpg
    Nechells Ashted flight of locks Belmont Row bridge.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 65
nice photos terry but i have to agree with phil and say i will be most surprised if the cottage is not demolished...time will tell

lyn

Some background history. Mr Groves did a good job hanging on to the cottage. A compulsory purchase order was made quite a few years back but was successfully contested. Is this why it is still standing, simply because the Council couldn't get its hands on it? Or does the Council now have ownership - as I've seen later plans (currently on the back burner I think) to remove the more modern low level features of the building. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 41
Viv

Just another example of the Council strong arms tactics to which members of the public just normally concede. Though it looks as if in this case they picked on the wrong guy.

Yes Phil, Fred Groves certainly sounds like a toughie and stood his ground. The post below which appeared on the Birmingham Conservation Trust site contains a hint of positivity, although don't get your hopes up anyone. But at least it's on the 'conservation' radar - well for the time being, unless it becomes a victim of heritage crime. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 30
Lets hope the "low level features of the building" do not mean the lower walls or foundations

Viv was there already a thread about the Lockkeeper's Cottage? If you can find it, merge it (if possible)

Here's my 2011 photo.

Haven't been able to find one Ell. But if anyone comes across one let me know and I'll merge them The cottage may have been discussed on other threads, but think the cottage should have a separate thread to highlight its condition, future prospects and to monitor any changes. Viv.

Hopefully it will be part of the Eastside Locks project. If it hasn't been demolished that is.

Walking up Lawley Middleway between Curzon Circus and Ashted Circus, I saw that Pitt Street has been retained as part of Eastside Locks.

Looking up Pitt Street (now with bollards at the middleway end) towards the Lockkeeper's House on Belmont Row.

Be interesting to see what the cottage will be used for. Looks like the 'low level features' have been removed as per earlier posts. Thanks Ell. Viv.

The area looks different with the new university buildings around here. Still a lot of plots yet to be built on. I didn't see the towpath entrance on Lawley Middleway as I headed to the Ashted Circus subways.

The cottage has an unusual steeply pitched roof to the rear. Was there once another cottage attached to it ? Or was this a feature of canal cottages like this ? If so, why was the roof like that ? Anyone know it's date ? There's a date of 1891 in an earlier post, but don't know if that's the actual building date. Viv.

The maps from c 1889 & c1951 show the same outline, though it looks as if there was a bit out of one corner then which does not seem to be missing now
lockeepers cottage belmont row c1889.jpg lockeepers cottage belmont row c1951.jpg

Sorry., On looking a bit more carefully, it does look as if there was a bit at the back that has been removed on the google view

Close up of the former Lock Keepers Cottage.

The Belmont Row Bridge on the Digbeth Branch Canal is open again.

New paving on Belmont Row and Gopsal Street. Think it's pedestrianised.

Pleasing to see that the main building still stands - a fine tribute to it former use and the areas history. It has lost the lean to buildings and garden but at least it has been saved if a little incongruous in its surroundings. The notices on the door suggest an important use for the place.

ell i cant get past 2011 on street view for belmont view but from your pics looks like devolpement is moving.....i fear for the old cottage but it it was to be saved was wondering what it could be used for...maybe a small cafe if there was a demand for one...

lyn

Might be as they gated off Belmont Row and Gopsal Street when the construction started. There hasn't been much activity since the Birmingham City University building Curzon B was completed.

Here are the Lock keepers cottages, my Grandparents, William Thomas Corrall, lived opposite was number 50 Belmont Row.
was turned into a shop where he sold Lamp oil, newspapers, they kept rabbits in rear garden.

Attachments

• belmont row view.jpg
    belmont row view.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 33
The cottage and the lock (first photo in #21) are a lovely snapshot of canal history. (Pity about the graffiti). Presumably the cottage is going to stay. Hope so. Good to see the pub still there too. Keeping and maintaining some examples of the street’s past in amongst the new developments is encouraging. Viv.

AMAZING photo, trying to make out Curzon Street Station bottom of Belmont Row my Uncle worked there, seems goods stored on frontage, he lived in Pitt Street and married my Mums sister, his name was Sgt Major Leonard Heart. My Grandparents lived opp lock keepers cottages on corner Number 50, was a newsagents and lamp oil seller(circa 1900), Grandfather used to also make army medals, my Mum used to walk up the canal courting my Dad. Looks like a woodyard side of canal, would have come up on barges and stored there no doubt. I can see the Pub that's been retained also. This photo ought to be on the wall of the local pub.

Back