• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Local PROFESSIONAL GOLFERS

allanbrum

Life long Brummie
These two photo`s are of Birmingham professional golfers. The first was taken around 1931 and has Arthur Hancox, second from the right. He was at Sandwell Park G.C. The second is of Birmingham professional golfers on a trip to the Fort Dunlop factory on the 19th Jan. 1931 and has Arthur Hancox sitting on the wall at far left. Can anyone help put a name to the other faces. Thank you, Allanbrum.
Photo replaced

bham pro golfers AH015.jpgbham pro golfers at Fort Dunlop 1931016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi allanbrum,
I have taken the liberty to send your photo's to John Moreton from Moseley Golf Club. John writes historic books on golf within the local three counties. (Warks, Worc's & Staffs)
Great photo's where you related to one of the golfers? Are these original photo's?

Hello BOBSUMMERS, many thanks for your reply. I am not related to any of the golfers but am a member of Sandwell Park G.C where amongst other things I act as a sort of honorary archivist. These photo`s came with a collection of ephemera relating to a former professional, Arthur Hancox, which was purchased by the club from a dealer who bought them at auction. Unfortunately it proved very difficult to find out who the original seller was. I do in fact know of John Moreton through membership of the British Golf Collectors Society and sent copies of these photos to him some time ago, but unfortunately he was unable to help. Thank you for your time and effort and hopefully something may jog his memory this time. Allanbrum

I don't know but suspect one of the professions would be Tom Lewis, was appointed in 1926 to Cocksmoor. I have looked for a family resemblance to his son H E Lewis, known as 'Pop', who in 1945 took over. ''Pop' became a revered figure and gave me lessons when a very young boy.

Hello ROBERTS, many thanks for your reply. In the first picture, I think third from the right at the back is H.E. LEWIS. the professional from Cocksmoor Woods municipal course. I also think that fourth from the left in the plus fours is, G.V.Tuck from Penn G.C. and on the far right G. Buckle of Ladbrook Park G.C. What I am seeking is confirmation of these assumptions. Thank you for your interest. Yours, Allan.

Birmingham must be steeped in "Golfing History" have you any stories and photo's you can Post.
Although I am a golfing nut, in my younger days They would not let me near any golf course because of the holes in me wellies. ( have I mentioned that before?)

Hope you like the photo of my group at Gayhill Golf Club. Guess what they call us?? As a group we have been playing together since Mid 70's in and out, old and young, and still going stronge as you can see. Ages from 26 too 86 years young!!

And our annual day out at Weston Super Mare.
Gayhill GC Verses Fulford Heath GC 2008 and Gayhill won for a change!!

Hello BOBSUMMERS, thanks for your interest in local golf. Whether Birmingham is steeped in golfing history, I don`t know, but a history it certainly has as the article attached indicates. It is from the Birmingham Post 17th July 1896 and in case it is difficult to read says "but in 1853 a small course was laid out on a spot adjacent to where now St. Andrews, Bordesley, stands. Bordesley Green was at that time well suited for golf; it was a sort of wild common land, not unlike Streetly". Some publications state 1868 in Aston as the starting place but this article disproves that.
That was for the "golf nuts", although it looks as though there are only three of us around. Where are you on the photo`s and which course at Weston was it. I hope not Burnham and Berrow, because if you have played it you will know what I mean. Very difficult greens especially when the wind is blowing, which it often is. Yours, Allanbrum

Well then bobsummers

Are you old enough to remember any of these Gay Hill Nomads?

RobertS I will have to come back to you on this one, I have some of the team investigating your photo.
From one RobertS to another, thanks

Re: Local Brummie GOLFERS

Allanbrum thats some very interesting info, I,m the tubby one standing behind the guy Georgie Clifton holding the green can.
We play Western Super Mare GC links every September and fill an entire coach with golfers from both clubs, breakfast a game of golf 2 a team, a few drinks, Fish & Chips on the beach, a few more drinks on the way home and a few more drinks at the presentation at Fulford Golf Club, then a few more back at Gayhlll. A tough day as you can imagine!!
Me and my mate winning the vets pairs comp at Rolls of Monmoth April 2008 and the local guys we went with, great bunch!!

Something for you golfers
Warwickshire Club Championship....winners and venues
1906...Olton...Olton....score 506
1907...Arden...Harbourne...score 494
1908...Olton...Sutton Coldfield..score 496
1909...Olton...Coventry...score 497
1910...Olton..Castle Bromwich...score 479
1911...Olton...Whitnash...Score 495
1912...Olton...Olton...492
1913...Olton...Harbourne..score 478
1914-1919 no championship
1920 Castle Bromwich..Castle Bromwich...score 524
1921..Castle Bromwich..Copt Heath...score 502
1922...Coventry...Coventry....score 490
1923....Coventry...Robin Hood....score 497
1924....Castle Bromwich...Olton...score 497
1925....Coventry....Whitnash....score 473
1926...Harbourne...Harbourne...score 515
1927...Castle Bromwich....Sutton Coldfield...score 483
1928...Castle Bromwich...Ladbrook Park....score 488
1929...Castle Bromwich...Walmley...score 482
1930...Walmey...Handsworth...score 476
1931...Castle Bromwich...Castle Bromwich...score 464
1932...Walmley...Copt Heath...score 464
1933....Harbourne...Coventry....score 476
1934....Castle Bromwich...Robin Hood...score 477
1935...Harbourne...Olton...score 454
1936...Ladbrook Park...Moor Hall...score 481
1937...Harbourne...Harbourne....score 456
1938...Castle Bromwich....Whitnash....score 449
1939...Coventry...Sutton Coldfield...score 478

The first name is the winner, the second is the venue :)

Well then bobsummers

Are you old enough to remember any of these Gay Hill Nomads?

RobertS
I believe Ernest Hansel and Clary Holt are on your photo.
Clary is still playing Golf at the tender age of 86 and is on my photo of Gayhill lads. Can you spot him?
Ernest plays 9 occasionally in the summer with his mate Len Barrel and unfortunately Tom Collier (Kings Heath master Taylor) has passed on last year.
Gill Merrick ex England goalie no longer plays and is a house member, But all come up for an occasional drink with my mates of "The last of the summer Wine" brigade.
Further info to follow when at hand unless you can advise us?

Gay hill Old Timers

Hello bobsummers

The second from the left at the back is my Dad, Jim Sheldon. He died in 1997 and some of the 'faces' came to his funeral. (There were quite a few from the the Golf Club).

I remember working at Len Barrels factory (Youngs Lifting) installing steam pipes with my Dad when I was 15 or 16. I aslo remember Tom Colliers. He made me up a pair of Harris Tweed trousers to match a Jacket I already had. (Both lasted years and years). We also went to the odd family party at Tom Colliers.

Unfortunately I don't remember the names or the faces now, (despite having been drafted in as a reluctant caddy on numerous occasions when I would rather have been doing something else.) I don't suppose you can put the names with the faces?

I have assumed the photo is of the Nomads but it could have been another grouping.

Cheers

Last edited:
Greetings from Canada. I'm the grandson of Albert HANCOX, who was a professional golfer born in Brimingham and settled in Ontario Canada after WW1. One of Albert's brothers was Arthur HANCOX, also a professional golfer, who stayed in Birmingham. Arthur was born in 1886, married Annie Stennett and had daughter Marguerite. I'd be interested in knowing if this is the same Arthur, and in comparing photos of the brothers. I can't view them on this site though. Thank you. Mike

bham pro golfers AH015.jpgbham pro golfers at Fort Dunlop 1931016.jpg
Hello MIKE, the two photos shown in the first post of this thread are now re-posted and I am pretty sure this is the same Arthur Hancox, your Grandfather`s brother. Arthur was the professional at Sandwell Park G.C. who came here at the start of the first world war. He later joined up himself and at the end of the war returned until 1947 when he retired, but remained a member of the club. I think his daughter, known within the club as "Rita" moved to Aberdovey in Wales.
I have some other photo`s of Arthur if you are interested. Regards, Allanbrum (Allan).

Thank you Allan. Really great to see these photos; others in family will enjoy them. Arthur was a twin, his brother moved to Australia. Arthur's nephew remembers travelling to visit Arthur's daughter in Wales - so definitely the right family. We are interested in any/all info you have on Arthur and his family. Thank you again. Newbie here, but will try to post photo of younger brother Albert Hancox who became pro golfer in USA and Canada. Strong family resemblance!
Much appreciated. Mike

Hello again Allan, couldn't access the instructions for uploading photos, so just muddled along - might not have done it right. Anyway, photo of Albert Hancox is in album 'Hancox'. Albert stated on his emigration papers that he was a pro golfer in Birmingham (no idea which GC). He made his living around courses in USA, then around Ontario Canada at Bay of Quinte; St. Mary's; Ingersoll; and finally Fairmont GC London.
albums/userpics/10679/084fddc5-5160-44b8-bbc2-e10c757169f0-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hello MIKE, I was not able to see your photo which is a pity. Do you have any more information about Arthur which could be included in the Sandwell Park archives ? Here are three more images AH1017.jpgAH2018.jpgAH3019.jpgThe first is a cartoon from the Sports Argus printed sometime before the first world war. If you cannot read the text I will scan a larger image of the text only. In the second he is back row second from the right. The third is another cartoon where he is in the bottom left corner. I will forward another 3 images in a following post. Allan

Hello MIKE, here are another 3 images. AH4020.jpgAH5021.jpgAH6022.jpgThe first is him playing golf and standing outside his club shop. In the second he is far right. There is no information about when or where the last photo taken. Regards Allan

084fddc5-5160-44b8-bbc2-e10c757169f0-3.jpg

Many thanks for all these photos. Grandpa Albert was the image of Arthur. Albert obviously shared his brother's passion and talent for golf. Will share with other family and ask if they have any more info, but unlikely. If I'm ever back in England, I'd be proud to visit Sandwell GC. Best wishes, and thanks again. Mike.

Hello BOBSUMMERS, many thanks for your reply. I am not related to any of the golfers but am a member of Sandwell Park G.C where amongst other things I act as a sort of honorary archivist. These photo`s came with a collection of ephemera relating to a former professional, Arthur Hancox, which was purchased by the club from a dealer who bought them at auction. Unfortunately it proved very difficult to find out who the original seller was. I do in fact know of John Moreton through membership of the British Golf Collectors Society and sent copies of these photos to him some time ago, but unfortunately he was unable to help. Thank you for your time and effort and hopefully something may jog his memory this time. Allanbrum

I don't know but suspect one of the professions would be Tom Lewis, was appointed in 1926 to Cocksmoor. I have looked for a family resemblance to his son H E Lewis, known as 'Pop', who in 1945 took over. ''Pop' became a revered figure and gave me lessons when a very young boy.

Hello Roberts. The gentleman. small in stature, standing on the far right, is in fact Tom Lewis. I can't explain the debt of gratitude I owe Mr. Lewis. He was a kind, gracious boss who took me under his wings at Cocksmoors Woods when I was a child of only fourteen. RIP Mr Lewis. Your reference to his son Pop as a revered figure I find quite amusing - having worked for him in the golf shop for a couple of years. Yes, Horace, was different, quite different than his father.

Back