• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lightwoods Park, Bearwood

There are notices in the Park to say many trees are being damaged by certain dogs. It seems it's a way of training them (for fighting ?). They are doing serious damage to the bases of the trees, and have also ruined the newly planted ones. The bark is being clawed and chewed off, mainly the silver birches but also oaks etc.
I don't know if this is happening anywhere else?
rosie.

The annual May Day Festival at Lightwoods Park is taking place on Bank Holiday Monday 6th May and will run 11.00am - 7.00pm. The festival will host a variety of activities including a stage with live music. The bandstand, will be bustling with a ukulele band, morris, maypole and bhangra dancing and a brass band. There will be a graffiti art workshop around the skate park area and Sandwell’s Strongest Man Competition will be taking place on the Bowling Green. The day will also feature a fun fair, Punch and Judy, craft workshops for children, refreshments, market stalls…and this year, a Real Ale Festival!

For those who do not know Lightwoods Park the park address is: Lightwoods Park, Adkins Lane, Bearwood, Smethwick, West Midlands, B67 5DP.

If anyone would like further information please call on 0121 569 4740.wpid-Photo-15-Mar-2013-1316.jpg

Hi all, I remember light woods park in the late 60's when there was a children's paddling pool. The house was used as a artists' studio, not sure of the time when that was though. Also I remember my nan taking me to the rose garden, it was so pretty. 30 years later I took my children to the playground, where the paddling pool used to be, (I think) !

I find this thread extremely interesting. As the Lightwoods Park Project Officer leading on the Lightwoods Park and House restoration it is always useful to see old photographs of Lightwoods Park and House (and the one above I have never seen). Peoples memories of Lightwoods Park and photographs will help inform the restoration proposals. For those of you who don't know the physical restoration works to both Lightwoods Park and House are set to commence on site in October 2014 and the construction period will be around 18 months. If anyone has any questions then please post here or get in touch with me via [email protected] . Many thanks, Cherie

Hi Cherie, I'm glad the restoration is under way at last, it's so sad to see the building so run-down.
There was an open day a few years ago (Heritage Day?) there were some photo albums on display on a table, I hope they are safely stored somewhere, in Sandwell Archives in the Library perhaps?
When I walked through last week I was thinking about the aviary that used to be just inside the entrance, and the little putting green. Dad used to like to watch the bowls on the lovely green, it's hard to imagine now how lovely and smooth it used to be!!
rosie.

Hi Rosie,
Thank you for your message. Yes, there are lots of historic photographs in the Sandwell Archives and the Smethwick Heritage Centre hold the red book with the photos of Lightwoods House in which was on display at the Bearwood: Past, Present and Future roadshow at St Mary's Chruch in Bearwood in September. We are hoping to put an 'aviary shelter' in the park with interpretation and seating in on the same location as the aviary once stood and the shelter would ressemble something of the former aviary.
Please keep in touch for progress on the restoration project.
Kind regards,
Cherie

Hi Rosie and Cherie,
i also remember the aviary and the bowling green , looking like new carpet.
I may have some old photos, I will see if I can find them.
good luck with the works,

Carole

Hi Cherie and Carol
The album was on show actually in the house itself on that particular day.
The pool was a little larger I think, they took some of the space for a bigger playground. I have seen pictures of swans on there but I haven't seen any! ....just the pretty birds in the aviary.
Shakespeare's Garden was always popular too.
rosie.

Thank you for your best wishes with the project.

I hope you can find some more photos - it is always interesting to see ones I haven't seen before.

We are hoping to recreate a part of the pool on an area of its original footprint (where the playground is today), move the playground more centrally in the park and update it and rejuvenate the Shakespeare Garden based on its original designs.

Cherie

Preparations are being made for the restoration on the House, Bandstand etc. Fences are being put up around certain areas. At least this bit of history is being cared for at last.
rosie.

Sad to say the firm doing the restoration has gone "bust"!
They have ripped up the flower beds, the play area and grassed areas and left devastation! The Shakespeare Garden is ruined. The Bandstand has fencing round it, so has the House, but the roof has not been fixed as far as I know.,
I don't know whether they have been paid all the money! It's disgusting the way they have left it, plans have been revised to put things right, I don't know how!
rosie.

I got to hear about the problem only two days ago and I was sorry to hear it. The company apparently had good credentials having worked on other important restoration projects. I understand that Sandwell Council are taking steps to protect the site. Former project manager Cherie O'Sullivan has moved on to another job within Sandwell Council and I have not yet met the current project manager. Much to my annoyance the Friends of Lightwoods Park voted not to hold anymore AGMs until after work was finished so that the officers did not have to stand for re-election.

Work seems to have started again on the House. The Park is still in a dreadful mess and on Thursday there was some fly-tippng of old furniture. It makes me sad when I think of all the happy times I have spent there.
rosie.

An update on the restoration project from the projects Autumn Newsletter
Project News
Heritage Building and Conservation through a management buyout are the new company carrying out the restoration of Lightwoods Park and House. They started on the 12 October 2015 and here is some of what is currently going on with the build:
 Steel work is being fitted to replace the existing floors.
 The chimney pots continue to go up.
 The stonework of the pediment at the front of the building is being repaired.
 The windows are being restored sympathetically.
 The landscaping contractors are now on site to continue with the play area and pathways.

Back