• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

It does not matter what year that advert came out, it was certainly right. Lewis's was where you could get anything, from a kettle to an ice cream. Pity we don't have that kind of shop any more, shopping has changed and not for the better.

I could not agree more Shortie, I remember when going shopping with our mom was as good as a day out. Sadly, as things have progressed it has got worse and shopping in most supermarkets now is dreadful. That is why Sheila and I go away from Birmingham a short way to do ours. It really is much nicer shopping in smaller shops out of town. We do sometimes use M&S in Harborne but for Morrison's and the like we have a drive to Bromsgrove or further.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to like popping into Lewis's for fabrics to make skirts in the days when I was really slim. A half yard would do me quite nicely for a pencil skirt. I liked what shopping I did then, now I hate it and get lots of things online. I have M&S stuff delivered to the store (no delivery charge) try on at home and then return to the store if it's not suitable, and use many other online sites such as Minuet for clothes. I suppose buying things online has made me dislike shopping more and more. I just about put up with food shopping!

I agree with "Shortie" too what a marvelous shop Lewis's was and were't we lucky to have lived in that period when shopping was an outing and high adventure.
paul

Fantastic present Keegs! I was one of those kids that found Santa a bit too scary. And as for him being able to come down your chimney .... well, even scarier! Viv.

Love your photo Keegs! Those were the days eh? Queuing up all those stairs to see him with such anticipation!

Fantastic present Keegs! I was one of those kids that found Santa a bit too scary. And as for him being able to come down your chimney .... well, even scarier! Viv.
I had two younger sisters that found Lewis's Uncle Holly realy scary.As long as there was a present a the end of it,it was all ok with me !

Love your photo Keegs! Those were the days eh? Queuing up all those stairs to see him with such anticipation!

Oh Yeah,and I loved the themed grotto and the Christmas window displays.Mom and Dad always took us to watch the Big Red guy arrive at Lewis's.Then we Knew Christmas was realy here.

Back