• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis' Engravers of Vyse St

D

Darthdc

Apparently found at 100 Vyse St - destroyed during the 27/07/1942 bombing raids. Had a cousin who sadly was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Would like photos if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have photos of Vyse St today. Went to the Jewellary Qtr some months back and noted the numbers of the buildings and calculated that the new building opposite Warstone Lane Cemetary is where #100 was. The date of the bombing works out well - my dad was told his first outing was down the shelter. He was just a few weeks old at the time - in Tyseley

Sorry to move off topic but does anyone remember or have knowledge of a British Restauant being in Vyse St.during war years.

Pembroke#
There is no british restaurant listed in Kellys in /vyse /st in 1943 or 1944, but in 1944 there is one at 1 Vittoria /st.
Mike

Hi miklejee
Thanks for info.My mother worked at B.R.in that area durring war.I couldn't remember if she said it was in Vyse St.or she walked along Vyse St.from 29 bus to get to it.In David Harvey's book "Hockley" there is a photo of the Vittoria Restaurant (a B.R.) and I wanted to confirm it would be the one my mother worked at.Didn't think there would be two B.Rs.so close together.
Thanks again
Pembroke

Here's tho one I was referring to it is no 43 Fredrick Street which is a continuation of Vyse Street the other side of the Chamberlain Clock.

Hi Wendy
Pleased the B.R.building is still there.(It looks new for the time in David Harvey's book) At times to save cakes etc.being thrown out the BR staff could aquire the left overs, so as a kid in the war years I got a few treats from time to time(that most other kids didn't get in the war) from the Vittoria Restaurant.

Back