• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Letter to Birmingham Commissioners on safeguarding heritage

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-bankrupt-birmingham-not-to-sell-its-heritage

I believe that everyone regardless of politics can get behind this letter by Historic England, Arts Council England and the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Totally agree! However I think that the Guardians comment about billionaires is not appropriate. So many lionize EV’s thanks to Elon Musk! Regarding the city council they should all resign with no severance packages etc. The bankruptcy of Birmingham did not happen overnight, what in heavens name were they doing? So sad that it has come to thiis!

Surely councillors do not get severance packages. MPs do, and with recent performances this should be removed, but not councillors.
Doubt they get one as they don't get paid. Just an allowance to offset expenses incurred in acting as a councillor.

just think if they turned the council house into a hotel the councillors would have to start holding their meetings in pubs like they used to back in the day...but ive just remembered we dont have that many pubs left these days :(

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-bankrupt-birmingham-not-to-sell-its-heritage

I believe that everyone regardless of politics can get behind this letter by Historic England, Arts Council England and the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
just noticed that cannon hill park is on the list of possible treasures to be sold....i sincerely hope not as this park was gifted to the people of birmingham by the wonderful louisa ryland..who even refused to have the park named after her

Blue_plaque_Louisa_Ryland.jpg

just noticed that cannon hill park is on the list of possible treasures to be sold....i sincerely hope not as this park was gifted to the people of birmingham by the wonderful louisa ryland..who even refused to have the park named after her

View attachment 184831
I guess it depends on how the trust deed was drawn up, some gifts cannot be sold. Let's hope Cannon Hill is one such. Thanks for noticing the park Lyn, which is an odd addition to the list of assets. Derek

What is the situation with trusts? I gather all the museums, -centralmuseum , aston hall, etc are in a trust. Is the reason they were put in trust because of the possibility of something like this?

What is the situation with trusts? I gather all the museums, -centralmuseum , aston hall, etc are in a trust. Is the reason they were put in trust because of the possibility of something like this?
Yes, though much of the law of trusts appears to be a way of legally avoiding tax these days. There have been instances of Local Authorities selling off art work before. Any comments from lawyers? (I dropped out after being awarded a studentship to study literature.)

https://www.localgovernmentlawyer.c...ority-museums-and-art-galleries-a-way-forward. 2018 opinions. There is a presumption against disposal unless in exceptional circumstances.
The longer the council delays making a decision, the larger their debt grows and I wonder if the following may make interesting reading for city councillors?

"Local authorities should be able to sell an unused, unneeded or duplicate item from one of their museums in order, for example, to prevent a damaging reduction in social care services, or to keep a community centre open, or to deal with unexpected costs arising from population changes and immigration."

The longer the council delays making a decision, the larger their debt grows and I wonder if the following may make interesting reading for city councillors?

"Local authorities should be able to sell an unused, unneeded or duplicate item from one of their museums in order, for example, to prevent a damaging reduction in social care services, or to keep a community centre open, or to deal with unexpected costs arising from population changes and immigration."
Individual items in a collection may not be protected by the trust deed or trustees may be able to apply to have the terms of the trust changed. I guess this is why these public bodies wrote to the commissioners as they are more aware of the possible implications or interpretations than lay people. I think all the work in BMAG is in the reserve collection while building work is carried out and a projected rehang of the displayed collection.

Depends on what the powers that be define as unused. Many museum items are not necessarily viewed/used regularly, but it is important that they are available for study, rather than squirreled away into some private collector's archives, never to be seen again. I am sure that some accountant phillistines would argue that about many items in the Shakespeare library

Depends on what the powers that be define as unused. Many museum items are not necessarily viewed/used regularly, but it is important that they are available for study, rather than squirreled away into some private collector's archives, never to be seen again. I am sure that some accountant phillistines would argue that about many items in the Shakespeare library
One possibility is that the trust has control of the objects but not the building and find themselves with less space to put things on display as income is prioritised.

Back