• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Les Burgin in Egypt

Brum Burgin

knowlegable brummie
View attachment 69125View attachment 69124This was my Dad Les Burgin in Egypt,second from the left in the first photo and fourth from the left in the other.He had shrapnel go into his head just before he arrived at Dunkirk but managed to get to a boat,carrying his comrade who was also shot.Unfortunately the boat was sunk but they managed to get on another boat.Dad was sent to hospital in Kent where he recuperated and was then sent to Egypt to carry on fighting the war with Monty.Dad died last year aged 97.Rest in Peace.

sorry to hear About your father Brum,
bet he could tellsome great experieces of his army life
regards,
dennis (tamworth)

what a trouper your dad was brum...you must be very proud of him and thanks for posting those wonderful photos..

lyn

Brum, your post serves to remind us what a debt we owe to your father and his comrades. I cant beguin to imagine what times they went through.

Welcome to the forum Brum and for sharing your dad's experiences with us and photo's with us. How lovely to have had your dad for so many years too. Jean.

Thanks for your comments folks,I was very proud of him.The story I told was one of many,but,none of these stories came to light until the last two years of his life.He never spoke about his time in the war until as he was getting frail in his last couple of years we moved him into a secure complex called "The Village"(They have just built one at New Oscott).The staff there encouraged everyone to relate their stories for posterity and they(the staff) would write it all down for them,and that's the only way I found out about his war stories.
Dave

We live just down the road from the Village you mentioned and I have heard the staff there do the same?. Jean.

Yes they do Jean,Dad was at the one in Lichfield.It seems to be the same with all these old soldiers,they just don't like talking about their memories of the war.

That's true Dave as Pete's dad would always change the subject when the lads asked him about the wars. Like most of the lads he told a lie about his age to join the army and was disowned by his Irish family.

Dave, your photos are great and I agree, the old soldiers didn't like to talk about thewar - my great-uncle won a bravery medal, but his fmily don't know where or why and my dad says despite the fact he lived with his grandad as he grew up, he never mentioned it either. My step=grandad was wounded too and I never recall him telling us about it. Sad really as it's history dying without being recorded.
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.
Sue

It seems as if all these old soldiers are from the same mould sistersue61.Great photos john70,love the headgear.

My Uncle Al was in the Eighth Army and he is on the right in the photo taken somewhere in North Africa. Many of my uncles served in WW2 and luckily all of them survived although two of them were captured before Dunkirk and spent the whole of the war as POW's. As far as I remember none of them really talked about it.
Uncle_Al_in__8th_Army.jpg

A few more from moms box of photo's. Uncle Fred Taplin is the third from the left on the first. The second has Palestine on the back. Jean. Sorry I have already posted the third photo.

Last edited:
Back