• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lees

Are you asking for information on someone who ran the hotel named Lees, or are you posting a photo of the hotel? If the former, then please give mor einformation as to what you seek. If the lstter, then I will change title and move to hotel sectionn

Is this the same family?

Is this the same family?
hello Janice - thankyou for your interest but i don't think that's the Houghton who was the banjo maker - however - i'd be very interested in any old photos from the 20's - regards Bob

I posted the link because of the photo of the Heaton Street shop. I wondered if there was a connection to your Houghton?

hello mike! - apologies for the confusion - i'm new to 'the club' -the attached photos are of one of my uncle's pubs [Eddie Cutler - the Packhorse - in Hollywood -circa1975 - what i'm really looking for are some photo's of George Houghton's Reliance banjo factory in Heaton st Hockey - in the early 1900's - or any pictures of Heaton st around that time - cheers - Bob Lees
Bob,
In 1915 there was a George Houghton & sons, at 75 & 76 Heaton st, Hockley, they were listed as Leather Case Makers.

- what i'm really looking for are some photo's of George Houghton's Reliance banjo factory in Heaton st Hockey - in the early 1900's - or any pictures of Heaton st around that time - cheers - Bob Lees
I can't find any reference to a banjo factory

Another thread about George Houghton here

This is the trade mark (GH&S) of one of his Banjos from the 1920s., there are at least half a dozen for sale on Ebay UK.

GHandS banjo.jpg

Finally in 1921 Kelly's
View attachment 175027

Same address as the shop.
Mikejee wrote that 12 years ago :)

1897 and 1900 Kelly's but by 1905 the words "musical instrument" had disappeared.
View attachment 175022
hello pjm. - thank you so much that is very interesting! - it is hard to 'read between the lines' of the standing records - possibly George was an enterprising individual who constantly changed horses? - however, his 'Reliance' factory is well known - thanks again - Bob

hello mike - this is the photo i have that interests me - my grandfather is on the right and the seated man is unknown - since grandads sister is listed as 'a banjo maker' living in Heaton st in the 1901census i wondered if there was any connection to George Houghton's factory - cheers Bob

I posted the link because of the photo of the Heaton Street shop. I wondered if there was a connection to your Houghton?
Are you asking for information on someone who ran the hotel named Lees, or are you posting a photo of the hotel? If the former, then please give mor einformation as to what you seek. If the lstter, then I will change title and move to hotel sectionn
hello - my uncle; Eddie Cutler ran the pub - I was supposed to have inherited it but i buggered off to Australia - i just posted it out of interest for others

Back