• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

lawence vernon battersby birmingham

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i have been given this calling card and thought i may do a bit of research on lawence who sadly died in tragic circumstances...if at all possible i would like to give it to any of his living family so any help with research would be appreciated...thanks folks...

here is the card and some info from MWS (mark) as to how he died...any newspaper articles would be great

A sad end...

'...Birmingham inquest to-day on Lawrence Vernon Battersby (aged 36), a barman at a city hotel, who was found gassed in the kitchen of his home at 87. Pershore Road...'

6 Nov 1944, Bham Mail.

Appears it was possibly the after effects of his time in the army.

IMG_20240424_185931_edit_53095935545022 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Lawrence was born in Liverpool to Henry Battersby and Harriet Eleanor Weekes. He was from Nottingham and she was from London.

He married in Liverpool (West Derby 1927) to Violet Bowcock and had one son Kenneth B (1927) before coming to Bham. As previously mentioned Kenneth married and had 2 sons before they (including Violet) appear to have emigrated to New Zealand.

Lawrence had a brother (Caton Carlyle) and a sister (Doris Irene). They both appear to have married and Caton possibly had a son and Dorothy 2 sons and a daughter.

The newspaper articles make sad reading - I am posting one (in sections so it is large enough to read).

Attachments

• Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (1).JPG
    Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (1).JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (2).JPG
    Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (2).JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (3).JPG
    Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (3).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 6
  • Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (4).JPG
    Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (4).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (5).JPG
    Birmingham Mail - Monday 06 November 1944 (5).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 7
Lawrence was born in Liverpool to Henry Battersby and Harriet Eleanor Weekes. He was from Nottingham and she was from London.

He married in Liverpool (West Derby 1927) to Violet Bowcock and had one son Kenneth B (1927) before coming to Bham. As previously mentioned Kenneth married and had 2 sons before they (including Violet) appear to have emigrated to New Zealand.

Lawrence had a brother (Caton Carlyle) and a sister (Doris Irene). They both appear to have married and Caton possibly had a son and Dorothy 2 sons and a daughter.
many thanks mark...i thought this one could prove difficult because of the new zealand link...i still think it worth posting as we never know if any of his rellies are looking in

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The newspaper articles make sad reading - I am posting one (in sections so it is large enough to read).
thanks jan how very sad it must have devastated his young son who found him..the ravages of war has a lot to answer for

lyn

Violet travelled back and forward to New Zealand as a "importers representative"
Going to NZ in Oct 1950
1714587358310.png

She had travelled in May 1950
She is also listed as travelling in June 1948.

Last edited:
Back