• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Larches Street Sparkbrook

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks lm looking for any old pics of larches st sparkbrook...any help would be appreciated..ive not heard of this street but found a rellie living there in 1911

cheers

lyn

Lyn

What was your relatives name, and what number Larches Street did they live at, my fathers family came out of Larches St and I was living there myself until I got married. I've been looking for photos myself for a few years now they are not that easy to come by. I have two that belong to Mikejee that I helped him identify they show numbers 2 to 15 would you believe only 2 houses short of our old house. If Mike agrees I'll put them up for you.

well what a coinsidence phil..my rellies were isaac and sarah bradnock and their children living at no 97 on the 1911 census..only looks a smallish street on street view..shame your house is just out of shot but i would love to see any pics of the street and i will keep em peeled for anymore
lyn

great photo carolina i wonder if phil has that one.. that pub behind is the something arms if we can get the name of it it will help with the numbering...thanks mike will look forward to the pics..

Last edited:
cant see without me glasses but maybe the warwick arms lynn....will look more closely when im awake properly...

lyn

There is no pub listed in Larches St in either 1940 or 1950, so i suspect this may not be Larches St

oh what a shame carolina looks like your pic is one of those most annoying miss captions that we all get from time to time..thanks mike and terry its looking like its the devereux arms then in lodge road....

lyn

Carolina

It was the Warwick Arms the front entrance was in Long Street, but there was a rear entrance in Larches Street it was often used as a short cut from Larches St to Long St. The photo was taken outside the Long St entrance. the pub was still open the last time I was down that way.

Mike it's debatable about being no pub in Larches St because my local The Talbot was half in Larches St and half in Highgate Rd being on the corner as it was, but the living accommodation was in Larches St, in the photo Larches St runs to the left of the pub.

Lyn, Larches street used to run from Highgate Rd to Ladypool until the planners cut it up. They re-named one third of it Timbers Way, made a park out of the middle section and left the third that connected with Ladypool Rd after they rebuilt it, by the way this is the section where your relatives would have lived. So if your relative was a drimker they would have most likely used the Angel or the Turners.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Highgate Rd The Talbot.jpg
    Sparkbrook Highgate Rd The Talbot.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 67
right phil so just to recap the pic is of the warwick arms in long st then but there was another entrance to it in larches st..

lyn

Lyn

Mike has given the go ahead so here are the two photos that he took of the street shortly before demolition. The one with the lamppost on the right hand side of the photo was the first house in the street. The only thing between that and the Talbot pub was a sweet shop that had been demolished for a couple of years prior to the rest of the street. You can just see the corrugated metal fence where the shop once stood. This photo and the second one show all the houses down to three houses short of Larches Passage which is just two short of where I lived.

Your relative lived on the opposite side of the road as far as I can work out somewhat opposite Marshall Street South. the houses down there did differ in one small respect, for some reason they had front gardens.

Attachments

• Larches St 2.jpg
    Larches St 2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Larches St 1.jpg
    Larches St 1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 66
Lyn
I thought Phil was going to put the Larches St photos on, but he presumably thought i was. I have found them. there is also another, which prersumably i did not send to Phil, which almost certainly is also Larches St, as it was taken in between the other two. This (file name 29B) has a nameplate on it, very worn, which says something (ending in L) Place . Cannot enhance it any more, but show enhanced section in case you have ideas. the 1889 large scale map lists alpha, beta, Knutsford, brighton, windsor, oxford and Wrighton Places, though there are always ones unnamed on the maps.

28B__Larches_st.jpg

29B~1.jpg

30A__Larches_st.jpg

View attachment 83490

Mike

It very well may be as you say that these houses were situated between the first two photos, its hard to tell as they are all of a likeness in most aspects. The nameplate looks like Brazil Place to me and there was a Brazil Terrace in Larches Passage, but neither that or none of the back courts down the bottom end of the road were street fronting.

thanks phil and mike how lucky that you took these pics mike...ive now re named carolinas pic as long st and the warwick arms pub...will keep my eyes open for anymore and post if i find any...

lyn

Last edited:
My dads family came from Larches street name of Ward and also some by the name of Upton dont know if these names ring any bells ?

Heres another image of Larches Street that I came across on the web, there was no information with it other than the name of the street and the date 1954 myself I think has the look of a Phyllis Nicklin photo. It does however show the rear entrance of the Warwick Arms just slightly to the right of the middle of the photo.

It also shows just before the rear entrance of the pub the house my uncle (who I worked with for nigh on forty years) moved into when they demolished my grandmothers house in the early 70's. Also just four doors up from there is the house his sister (my aunt) moved into at the same time and my Gran moved into a maisonette that was built in the 50's just out of the photo. Obviously nobody wanted to move away. even when they demolished those houses some 20 years later my aunt moved into a maisonette next door to her mother and my uncle into the next street opposite the Warwick.

Sparkbrook Larches Street 1954.jpg

I remember the people named Ward they lived a couple of doors away from me and I remember Upton's they lived besides the Warwick Arms.
my grandparents name was ward lived at 107A ,walter and Florence I lived with them until about 1950/

Yeah without doubt the Warwick Arms. Spent many happy hours riding my bike around the yard at the back. Mom and Dad practically lived there, we went to all the Christmas parties upstairs and outings. I remember going to Wickstead Park around the time of this photo and if so I am sure my sister and I are on there somewhere. Names I remember: Underwood, Turner, Savory, Haddleton, Jones (my cousins and family) and going through the passage to the yard which had a back entrance on Larches Street. I have a photo somewhere of my Dad and Uncles in front of the coach off to Wembley in 1956 to see Blues play.

Hi Philgard7

Underwood and Jones are names I recognise, there was a Jones family that lived a few doors away from at what would have been either number 14 or 15.

Hi Philgard7

Underwood and Jones are names I recognise, there was a Jones family that lived a few doors away from at what would have been either number 14 or 15.
Bill and Dot Jones (nee Gardner) were my aunt and uncle. Their children were Brian (sadly killed in a car crash) Linda, David and Clive. Harry and Florrie Underwood lived next door in to us in Kyrwicks Lane, nearly opposite the Hereford Arms. Mom and Dad (Sid and Joyce) would walk past The Stratford Arms and Cottage Of Content to get to the Warwick, they loved the place. Dad worked behind the bar for a while.

Back