• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

king edwards rd ladywood birmingham 18

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys
i have picked up a book recently and it was bye carl chinn and stories on how people survied the hard times and one story was from mrs lilian mitchell
and it was many years ago now and as a kid growing up when i went to the infants and junior school of steward st and came out of school at the bottom end of springuill passage and there was this corner house come grocers and sweet shop it survied the war years and mrs mitchell senior used to run this little shop
a tuck shop and mrs mitchell was a veyold lady clocking seventy little lady death and short sighted in fact she was three parts blind which was brought on by the war years but any wy for us little kids she made up two biggish tray of sweets one was the penny tray and the other was a 3p tray and when the kids came out of school
we would all charge into the passage way entrance into her shop you could get three kids into the shop at one time as there was no room
so they said penny tray mitch as they called half sighted and deaf when they took off the penny sweets they wanted which bascilly was buble gums or black jacks two for a penny she would take there penny but most of the kids would say to her mitch i gave you half a crown and she would say back did you oh yes mitch and she would
her money away alot of kids done that her which was wicked but any when i read this it got me thinking about old mitch bless her coton socks
it was her daughter whom put the story to carl chinns book and i looked up and thought how many old guys and girls would remember old sweet mitch from the shop
i remembered well as clear as yesterday so i thought i would asked our members if they ever recall her from the war years or after did you go to steward stret school
or ever went to the stour street family bookies whom operated arond those years as there story is there as well best wishes astonian;;

hi astonian,
i used to live next door to mitches shop, i knew the family well, lillian,sheila and john. john and i were mates, i also went to steward street school, and many a time taken a bet to smithy te book maker. his house was up the first entry in stour street, he lived next door to the leary family. we all grew up together as kids.

hi zafria;
good morning zafria; it certainly ;that i know you from way back judgeing what you have told me and that we rubbed shoulders most days of the week ;
as the allens family next to lillian and sheila and john lived next door to sheila and lialian and that and that as i lived on the brow next to the chimney sweep
in the rd we lived at 243 and the sweep lived at 245 the hollond family and we all went to steward street
and also nipping up to smithys the bookie up the entry regular there is a picture of the allens and steadmans in the old ladywood forum
thats if you have not seen the ladywood forum they moved to ford street from kingedwards rd and my mate dave got mattied and lives in crabtree rd rd now as done for years and his sister live aroundthe hocklety area as well one married into the moults of heath street lives in abbey stret hocley the other lives in capstan ave off hingegestion street those was the god old days we did have some pics on here of the steward street and of the spring hill passage but it as not got mitchs shop on i am afraid lat year i went down the old end of king edwards rd and to the bottom and turned into of what was left of our kingedwards rd why on earth did the council demo those house i never know they cut up king edwards rd and and shortened it on the brow of the hill they built a block of fats it lok rediculuos and what thet done to stour street is nobodys bussiness well zafrina ; i have to shoot off for now look foreward to hearing from you again ; best wishes astonian;

Back