• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill Cemetery

ade my first job after leaving school early 70s was just around the corner from keyhill drive in vyse st...loved working in the area..happy days

lyn
Hi Lyn
My Dad started his business in Albion street and has worked in the jewelry quarter for 70 years (he's 86 now)
There doing some lovely renovations to the old buildings in Hockley now, long overdue in my opinion the place has some great history and stories to tell
Ade

ade my first job after leaving school early 70s was just around the corner from keyhill drive in vyse st...loved working in the area..happy days

lyn
Hi

I’m trying to contact Key Hill Brian attempting to confirm his source of some really interesting information he gave on graves and costs of burials at Key Hill in the 1890s. I’m a volunteer at the Coffin Works and passsd on this information but they have asked for a source and Brian’s permission so we can make it available to our guides. Can you or anyone help?? Thanks and I really enjoy browsing this site so thanks to everyone

Hi Chris, Rarely get on the site these days - too busy with caring for elderly relatives. My limited free time on the computer is spent doing Family tree stuff.
I am unsure what information you had from me - but all info given out is free and for public usage. If it was info that was in the small A5 booklets I produced for the Friends of Key Hill, than that is doubly OK to use. If was from other Friends of Key Hill records than it was given to freely use - - The records were kept at the Pen Museum, but i understand the Friends broke off that connection and i heard the records were taken away by Jaquie Fielding - aka Bojalu who used to run a form of facebook page for the Friends but which disappeared -they do not appear to be on facebook or the web anymore. If Bob Beauchamp is still involved in the Coffin Works - it was his wife who was running the Friends and who presumably has the current files If the info involved has ever been put onto this forum - than it is for public usage and availability anyway. Hope this helps.
Brian
Thank your help Brian, much appreciated. Wishing all the best to your family.

Restoration of grave of Constance Naden

Saturday 11 May:
Pioneering Victorian woman’s grave restored and unveiled in Birmingham
3.00pm
Key Hill Cemetery
Following a successful fundraising campaign, on Saturday 11 May a rededication ceremony will be held to mark the installation of Constance Naden’s new gravestone.

Constance Naden (1858-1889) pursued a diverse career before her untimely death aged 31. Her insightful and witty poems and polemical prose drew upon her wide-ranging scientific education at Mason College (now the University of Birmingham) where she was honoured as the first female Associate. One of Birmingham’s most illustrious daughters, in 1890 she was memorialised by a marble bust installed in the Mason College library.
Naden’s gravestone in Key Hill Cemetery (Birmingham) was reduced to rubble and buried in the mid-twentieth century. Although excavated by the Friends of the Cemetery in 2010, it remained illegible. In 2017, two of her descendants (Julian Rees and Margaret-Mary Hall) and the leading expert on Naden (Dr Clare Stainthorp) established the Constance Naden Trust to restore the gravesite as a more fitting memorial to this pioneering Victorian woman. Having raised £3240 from public donations, supplemented by funds from the University of Birmingham (College of Arts and Law) and the Grimmitt Trust, a new gravestone was commissioned.

The press and the public are invited to attend the rededication ceremony on 11 May 2019 in Key Hill Cemetery, which will commence at 3pm. The unveiling is to be followed by a reflection on Naden’s life and the campaign that led to her grave being restored, as well as readings from her works. More information can be found on the campaign website at https://nadensyearinsonnets.wordpress.com/constance-naden-grave/

Hi could anybody pls help me locate a vault 9 as my mother has jus passed and we have only just found out this is were my grandmother is buried have to be put of the list which is currently very long if anybodg could help id be grateful debbie

There is a bit of explanation of where the vaults are in the cemetery but not specifically vault 9

There is a bit of explanation of where the vaults are in the cemetery but not specifically vault 9
Thank you very much .

Kind regards debbie .

This gravestone sits at the junction of 4 very deep, large graves. Each side has 2 columns - the grave number is at the top of each column. The graves were the Cheaper graves for people who could not afford to purchase their own - think of them as blocks of flats v detached houses. People bought a single space in the grave - there are many dozens of people in the grave - but the only ones listed on the headstone are those who could afford the extra be named. Christopher's relatives could not afford a detached grave for him, s purchased a space in a larger block and managed to enough left over to add his name to the memorial. Usually less than 10% managed that. He was fortunate.

Back