• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Mike,
I am so glad to hear that you have located the grave of your grandfather. I can imagine how frustrating it is for you to realise that you had the clues all the time but had forgotten about them. However the most important thing is that you have found his place of burial. I hope you can go to Salisbury soon - as you say it is a long time since your grandfather had any visitors.
Also this just shows the importance of writing things down and passing it on to younger members of the family.
Thank you for letting us know the outcome of your research:)

Hi Mike, I'm really pleased you have found your Grandfather's grave too...There was a record on FMP for Devizes but the dates didnt match up...it has the details..Burial 31 Dec 1949 aged 75 and it also had his wifes name, which is why I asked if you could give her name..is this the same record ?

Thanks Pollypops & Lindyloo for your replies.

My grandfather would have been 71 the day after he died. He was buried in Devizes Road cemetery which is on the outskirts of Salisbury, about one mile from the mental hospital where he died. He died on 11th May and was buried on 17th May 1949. His wife's name was Clara. The one you found at Devizes Lindyloo must be a different burial.

I was a little surprised to have found him buried there. I visited London Road cemetery in Salisbury some 7-8 years ago on my way home from the south coast. They told me there was no record of him being buried in the Salisbury area. Perhaps their computer records were not complete then.

Thanks for all your interest & comments.

Hi Wendy
I wonder when you get a moment, could you check if Bertie Harvey born 1910 and died in 1947 is at Key Hill. I believe he was killed in a motorbike accident in witton. Also perhaps someone reading this might recall it or have a newspaper cutting of it.
Thank you for your time Stars ( Eric)

Eric I had a look at both Key Hill and Warstone Lane and could not find Bertie or Herbert Harvey in 1947.

Could you please look to see if there is a inscription for Alice Amy Burford who died in 1912
Many thanks
Lindy

Nothing in Key Hill cemetery.

I could only find an Alice Burford buried in Warstone Lane in 1913 Sec P grave no 70276 ref 70276.

Hi Wendy
Thank you for looking for me.I know you are very buisy, but i do appreciate it.

Stars (Eric)

Hi Wendy

When you have time would you please look for an Eleanor Chamberlain buried 1902 KH register number 44207.

Many thanks
Suzanne

Elenor Chamberlain buried 1902 section S grave 23. There is no memorial I am not sure if it's a public one or from the area removed for the Metro. Brian may be able to help further.

Elenor Chamberlain buried 1902 section S grave 23. There is no memorial I am not sure if it's a public one or from the area removed for the Metro. Brian may be able to help further.

Thanks Wendy.

Suzanne

View attachment 70021 This is the only Pic I have of the front of S23. It is one of only 3 memorials they othered to retain when they built the Metro. The names of those actually disturbed by the metro were recorded alphabetically on the 3 slate panels on the Metro memorial above and to the rear of the catacombs. These 3 Section S memorials are all double sided, 2 graves per side, but cost extra to have inscriptions on. There asre only a few who managed to afford an engraving.
The full list should be in the memorials book, but I am unsure if he recorded these memorials?
Will get a fuller pic on Sunday during the Monthly Key Hill & Warstone Lane Tours - 12-2 WL, 2-4 KH, preceded by a 2 hour mini-clean. (presumably WL)

Thanks for that Brian:)

On a slightly different note. I went to Handsworth Saturday and the lovely lady in the office pinpointed my 3 relatives for me, all in the same grave. She said there wasn't a memorial just edging stones that have now sunk. As she normally works at Quinton office she said she wasn't able to exactly show me the grave. Do you know when it is best for me to go again and speak to someone who may be able to take me to the spot. My husband and I think we got near judging by the grave numbers we found but couldn't be sure. They are in section 15 grave number 1925?

Suyzanne

Hi Wendy

EDIT: No need for this one thanks Wendy as death details don't add up to year of birth:)

Me again:) Is there anything for a Mary Ann Field buried 1883 in KH register number 29877?

Thank you

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Because handsworth opperates 7 days a wekk, the girl from Quinton helps cover, but obviously doesn't know as much as the regulars.

Give them a ring on 0121 554 0096 to see if Joy or Rose are on (the regulars), any morning you are free to visit - If they say yes - pop over!

They have little maps in Reception with section numbers on - check some of the graves that are still there to find 2 with grave numbers on, see which way the numbers run, and start counting!

I may be over there Friday pm or Tuesday - I'll have alook if you have not been there by than

Brian

Oh thanks so much Brian. The nearest we could find was number 1938? but when we looked in front or behind we couldn't make much sense of it:) probably find we were standing on it:)

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Popped into Handsworth today - Joy & Rose - the regulars were both on - They showed me the plan for Section 15 - This is the second section on your left as you enter via Oxhill Road - A Roman Cathloic section.
Grave 1925 is 24 graves up and 8 graves in. It is an area of longish grass, has an odd side rail lying on, and is next to a self seeded sycamore growing out of an adjacent grave! I took a few pics, trimmed the tree, moved the side rail back to it's own grave next door fromwhere it had beed dislodged last time there was a burail. I probed all over with my spiky stick, hit stone a gfew times, but shovel proved them to be just that - odd stones!
Sorry - I cannot find any obvious trace of side rails or kerbs. Being a consecrated area, I dare not go diggin a 'Key Hill 'Ole'

Took some pics afterrwards and a pic of the grave on that pathside - 8 behind is yours!

View attachment 70056 Looking towards path from centre of Section - odd rail in grass marks 1925

View attachment 70057 Side view showing base of self seeded Sycamore

View attachment 70059View from Path side of grave

WOW!!! Brian you are so good:) I remember that spot with the cross laying flat. We must have been in the right area after all. They were Catholic so that's correct. Hubby and I must go again on Saturday. So in the first pic where there is a long stone are my family around there? Sorry to be a bit dim:)

Many thanks again Brian.

Suzanne

View attachment 70061 As you enter handsworth Cemetery via the Oxhill Road entrance, Section 15 is the second section on the left - as it says on the tree!
Proceed to the 3rd tree along......

View attachment 70063 Peter Anthony Green against the path marke the right row - 8 graves in - just where you see one of many self seeded sycamores...

View attachment 70066 Needs the grass cutting - should be done on next visist now the siderail is out of the way!

View attachment 70067Side shot now half the tree is out of the way

View attachment 70068View from rear with probe showing!

Hi Suzanne - the grave is where that lone rail was lying. rail has now been put back on it's own grave - looks like you just got grass!
I'd recomend taking a big bag of bulbs with you - Not the new fangled low energy - but nice snowdrops, tulips, daffodils, etc!
You'll have a permanent marker every spring which will flower before the strimmers arrive!

They also nice 'temprary' markers for £58 - ask at the Office!

Of course, if you happen to have goat with you at the time.............. It save taking shears!

Oh thanks so much Brian. Very clear instructions indeed. I will certainly be planting some bulbs. Not being much of a gardener is it ok at this time of year to plant? I will ask my daughters as they are green fingered:) Now to decide between snowdrops, tulips or daffs. I'm thinking tulips or maybe I will alternate:) The pics are great. You are wonderful to do so much for people and your sense of humour isn't too bad either;)

How temporary are the markers? Think I remember seeing them advertised in the office.

Best regards
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

It's always a pleasure to help, sorry I couldn't tidy up more - I only had secateurs and spade in the car - not much use for cutting grass!

Could have put a notice on Grove Lane - Free Grass - help yourself????????

Any bulbs will do, they stay in the ground all year, so i don't think they mind when they go in - If they don't don't take - they are renamed Biodegradable Compost!

So long as they flower in the spring, they will be over before the strimming occurs - other than that it's down to colours - what do you like?

The Temporary markers are (Officially) only for 2 years, but they do especially monitor them , you could get a small marble slab - see Facebook "The Friends of key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries" for an example of one set in the grass in Key Hill

On second thoughts - looki anyway, but here are pics of of a lovely marble slab which can be mowed over -

View attachment 70077
View attachment 70078

Hi Brian, Are the tours still going ahead on Sunday ? I'm hoping to make it for the KH one as I don't finish work till 12....
Lynne

Thanks Brian for tidying the grave up. It was very good of you. We are hoping to get there tomorrow to do some grass cutting and plant some bulbs otherwise it will be next weekend but it certainly will get done:) The marble slabs are a great idea. Keep up the good work - you help so many people:)

Suzanne

View attachment 70342Hi Brian

Thanks again for finding my family grave at Handsworth. We went last Saturday and did some grass cutting. Tried everywhere for some bulbs but told out of season? Anyway we cut the grass and laid some flowers, a bunch for each of them:) We will get some bulbs though as it would be fantastic to plant them all over. Only just managed to resize one of the photo's:)

Suzanne

thats lovely suzanne..so pleased you were able to locate the plot and place flowers...im off to key hill next sat to do the same for a rellie of mine...:)

lyn

Suzanne, I am so glad you were able to visit your graves and put flowers on them. Bulbs usually come into the shops end of August - start of September - I usually get mine from the pound shop or wilkinsons - much cheaper than a garden centre and I have always had good results from them :). The most important thing about planting bulbs is reading the packet and planting them at the right depth.:)

Thanks Lyn & Pollypops

These family members are my Gt Grandfather, Gt Grandmother and Gt Aunt. I got interested in family history because I was intrigued by his name. I knew absolutely nothing about him and now have his parents, grandparents etc, all his army info, found living relatives that knew him so have stories as well and now finally his resting place. Job done:) Well, knowing this family history lark, I bet there's more to come;)

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne
I thought i would let you know we went to a 99p shop in Redditch and they had narcissus and grape hyacinth in the same bag for 99p. I don't know if you have any of these shops by you but it's worth checking them out, also check the poundland shops.
all the best stars

Hi Suzanne
I thought i would let you know we went to a 99p shop in Redditch and they had narcissus and grape hyacinth in the same bag for 99p. I don't know if you have any of these shops by you but it's worth checking them out, also check the poundland shops.
all the best stars
Thanks Stars

HI Suzanne,
Glad the instructions were clear enough, and you've your rellies all right.
Now you know where they are - don't be a stranger!

I'll reemeber to have a look in the spring, once you have found & planted some bulbs.

In the meantime, I'm sure they love the flowers.

Brian

Hi Brian

We've been twice already and can't wait to plant those bulbs:)

Thanks one more.

Suzanne

Back